VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Space Truckin
Big W
Coop
livharder
8 posters

new member and owner with lots of questions.

livharder
    livharder

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2014-05-14

new member and owner with lots of questions. Empty new member and owner with lots of questions.

Post by livharder Wed May 14, 2014 5:25 am

hi there. i just bought a 68 chevy van 108 wheelbase with a 307, 3 speed manual. i have been a van user for a long time with the newer chevy express a 2009 currently used for personnal use only. i love vans for the do it all factor. now since buying this 68 a few days ago only. i want it to drive very well and then i will attack the body paint and interior. my main question is: can i get this van to be confortable, quiet, (Noisy as hell) and stable (i'd like to haul a 20' camper with it, thats why i wanted the 108) and a bad jerking clutch. now im going throught the regular vibration stuff like wheels driveshaft joints and engine mounts, the small stuff to make it better .thanks
    Coop
    Coop

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-04-01

new member and owner with lots of questions. Empty Re: new member and owner with lots of questions.

Post by Coop Wed May 14, 2014 8:37 am

Hi and welcome to VV! You will find a lot of good info here and good people willing to help. I am a new vintage van owner myself these things are just awesome. Good luck with the new van it sounds like your off to a good start. cheers 
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

new member and owner with lots of questions. Empty Re: new member and owner with lots of questions.

Post by Big W Wed May 14, 2014 5:26 pm

Welcome to VV. When you can, be sure to post some pics for us. The Chevy folks here know there stuff and will help get your questions answered.
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Wed May 14, 2014 5:49 pm

Welcome, and to answer your questions yes, yes and yes  bounce 
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed May 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Welcome aboard! You've come to the right place for some friendly help and advice. When asking questions, if you can provide pics, it makes it that much easier for Chevy guys to get a feel for what you're asking and besides that, we love seeing pics of projects and the progress!

Go Bruins! Sorry, just couldn't resist...Carrie Price has got a horseshoe in his back pocket this series. All my relatives up North are Montreal Fans.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    livharder
    livharder

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2014-05-14

Post by livharder Wed May 14, 2014 6:46 pm

thanks. but did not see how to attach pictures
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed May 14, 2014 6:55 pm

I think there is a 7day waiting period before you can post but here's a link that shows how to post pics:  https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t119-posting-pictures-using-forum-s-servimg?highlight=posting

Hope that helps and congrats to the Montreal Canadians! We'll get em next year!
    One other note is to choose 640 pixels from the size drop down instead of the 800 default. Otherwise, you might cut off part of the picture when inserting.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    jazzcat
    jazzcat

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2014-05-03

Post by jazzcat Wed May 14, 2014 6:59 pm

Hi and welcome...... im new myself to this site but Ive been restoring cars all my life...... only way to quiet down the interior is with dynomat or generic alternative. But you'll most likely want to do that after the body work is done.

Also you can post pictures as a newbie, i did.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Wed May 14, 2014 8:01 pm

I would start gluing all the Ribs and roof braces back to the skin,
    I used a seam sealer from 3m called fast and firm. Applies with a caulking gun.
    All the side doors have hardware in them that will rattle, I used bubble wrap to
    Wrap these rods and stop them from rattling, made a big improvement.
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Wed May 14, 2014 9:08 pm

welcome from ohio. I have been in love with vans ever since I can remember. my latest one, a 69 chevy van 90, I have only owned for about a month and a half. but I have already eliminated a lot of noise by insulating the walls and ceiling, and putting carpet in. my doors still rattle a bit, but I might try the bubble wrap thing I just read.
    as far as reliability, I have just hit my first 1000 miles of travel with it, and couldn't be happier.it rides nice, drives great, and as soon as I put my hitch on, I am planning on pulling my jayco popup trailer and maybe a motorcycle trailer.
    good luck with your van.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:06 am