VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Twinpilot001
kookykrispy
pan58head
donivan65
8 posters

Save it or scrap it?

Save it or scrap it? Empty Save it or scrap it?

Post by Guest Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:17 am

We've torn my motor down to rebuild it and have now found that it has been bored out .045 over. I'm concerned because I don't know who and how many people have had their hands in this motor. Also, boring can lead to overheating and also excessive heat in the cab if I understand correctly what the guru's on this site have said. My thought is to scrap this motor and go back to my original plan of installing a 4.3L V-6, which I'm sure will have its own list of hurdles too but in the end, reliability is what I'm after.
    Thanks, Sam
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Save it or scrap it? Empty Re: Save it or scrap it?

Post by donivan65 Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:37 am

I think .060 is the limit on our 6 cylinder engines,,,,,,,,and with a good radiator and an electric fan, you should be OK,,,,,,,,,but you got choices,,,,,,you can patch that engine if you have problems or put something else in there,,,,,,it just depends on how much money you want to put into the van,,,,,,,we rarely get our money back if we sell them,,,,,,,the only thing you can get out of the van is FUN,,,,,,,,,and if you don't get fun out of it,,,,you are wasting your money.......

Post by Guest Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:01 pm

Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that the motor is an I-6. What do you think of the 4.3 idea? My 2000 Express Van runs like a beast with that motor in it. Old Astro Vans and S-10's are a dime a dozen too for donors. I don't plan on selling this van, I want to use it for my carpentry business. You know how it is - some of us get it... some of them don't.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:02 pm

It just depends on how much money you want or can put into it,,,,,,the van is user friendly,,,,,you can do anything you want to it,,,,,if you got parts available for it and can do the work or afford to have somebody do it for you,,,,,go for it,,,,before gas is $10 a gallon and they ban every vehicle that don't get over 50 MPG.....these vans are a waste of money,,,,,,but man,,,,,,,,the fun is unbelievable if you believe in them........
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:59 pm

I'd say depends on what you want to spend. Straight 6 back in is the quickest, but the 4.3 will give you more power. If you end up putting a 4.3 , spend the extra money and keep it fuel injected. Its nice not having the gas smell all the time.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:28 pm

.060 over is no problem. The overbore should not cause it to run hot as long as your cooling system is in good condition. Have you considered just honing the cylinders and doing new rings/bearings with the existing pistons?

Another idea is to find a good running used six for cheap on craigslist, swap it into your van and drive. You can perform an engine swap in a day. Cheap and quick, then your van is back in action.

Are any of these engines near you??

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/4620134822.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/pts/4627591162.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/4549327178.html

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:10 pm

.060 will be fine or if ur really worried??????????? get that block =sleved to standard bore.upps the build costs yet that can be an alternative if u cant find a good 6?
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:00 pm

My L6 is .060 over and only ran hot while sitting in parking lot traffic in over 100 degree Texas heat. I don't have a fan shroud, just a mechanical fan and a fresh three core radiator.

And when it did get hot on those days I never had it overheat.

But, like these guys said, its all about having fun. If your leaning towards the 4.3 don't let us talk you out of it. You will never be happy with the L6 if the 4.3 is what you really want. Make a project of installing the 4.3 and post plenty of pictures.

One thing I learned is each change brings on more to make it work. Sometimes it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

Post by Xelmon Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Yep, Kooky and Twin said it, from what I read .060 is the reasonable limit to those I6's.

I personally love the I6, otherwise I would've gone with the 4.3's swap myself.

They are nigh on indestructible and stock have comparable power and slight mileage increase as they are TBI!
    I would grab an engine that's '92 and newer (balance shaft) and one that came out of a manual car. That way you won't have the headaches of having to deal with the ECU talking to the transmission, and you can keep your current transmission.

As a piece of mind, if you want to tinker with said 4.3 down the line for powaaaaa, 300HP is doable with reasonably minimal effort from what a buddy of mine told me.
    Double the HP from an I6 would be crazy, no? =)
    Jay 13
    Jay 13

Number of posts : 155
    Registration date : 2011-02-01

Post by Jay 13 Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:27 am

He lives in Sarasota Florida so heat could be an issue. I lived in Sarasota for 15 years and between 10 month summers and a lot of stop and go traffic the inside off our vans are like a furnace. As much as I like to keep mine original, he may be better off to put a 4.3 in it with a 700r4. If you plan on using your van as a daily driver in Sarasota, I would strongly recommend switching to disk brakes as well. Just my 2 cents

Post by Guest Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:30 am

Yeah, I guess I also forgot to mention that I already have a 700R4 ready to go. My original thought was that the V-6 would free up room in front of the motor for the A.C. compressor and maybe a power steering pump someday. The TBI will be nice too. I'm thinking that it will take some time and money up front but in the end, the 4.3 would be reliable, economical and clean. I did get an air conditioning system from "Old Air" and M1D hooked me up with some caliper brackets.
    Guys... I love this van. I'm going to drive the hell out of it when it's done. I'll probably give it to my daughter someday. To me, it's worth whatever I put into it.
    Thanks, Sam
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:57 am

Great plan & intrest! Im old skl- remember -I could have had a ---------------------V-8!! cheers 

Post by Guest Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:21 am

Well, I'm going for it. I bought a '99 S-10 Blazer for a donor that runs and drives great and has ice cold A.C. and a whole bunch of other things I should be able to either use or sell. I kinda feel guilty ripping it apart! I think I'll be able to make back what I paid for it by selling parts though. It's got an Eaton locking rear diff. with antilock disc brakes all around, no rust or dents and power everything too. I should probably just sell the van and drive this thing to work but what fun would that be...
    Many pictures to come, Sam
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:45 pm

I think the 4.3 conversion is a "GREAT" idea I have one in my 03 GMC full size Pick Up they are "Strong Running Reliable" motors they are rated at about 200 horse....one of the guys in our Van club has a astro van that just turned 400,000 miles and does not even burn oil.... Plus it will free up some room up front for a mechanical fan and shroud...And should have plenty of room for a AC compressor and power steering pump also down the road...Sounds like a fun project especially not having to search for all the parts.....Keep Us Posted...!!!... Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:48 pm