VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
G-Man
HandiVanMan
mothradeath
7 posters

help me save this from the scrapyard.

mothradeath
    mothradeath

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2009-06-17

help me save this from the scrapyard. Empty help me save this from the scrapyard.

Post by mothradeath Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:02 am

i bought this thing without a title. guy didnt have a title and it belonged to his deceased father and was about to take it to the scrapyard. pretty much little to no help from him other than him lightening my wallet $300 less. i called the state of ohio and went through their whole ordeal....sent them a copy of a bill of sale, my name address, purchase price, and current VIN number attached and they declined to print a new title. i already made a thread about this a long time ago with a bunch of people throwing in a bunch of what ifs but now i need somebody to give me an honest solution. i really dont want to part this thing out and scrap it. solution?
    help me save this from the scrapyard. 476607_3316203420063_329604306_o
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

help me save this from the scrapyard. Empty Re: help me save this from the scrapyard.

Post by HandiVanMan Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:11 am

No title needed in the state of Georgia for a vehicle 1985 & under! Only a Bill of Sale to Register a vehicle. The state of Georgia will not issue a new Title without a previous owner filing for a lost title & if the vehicle has been previously registered with a Bill of Sale they won't even consider ever issuing a new title. In the state of Georgia a Bill of Sale is just as good as having a title.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

help me save this from the scrapyard. Empty Re: help me save this from the scrapyard.

Post by G-Man Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:41 am

I would say try again, sometimes you just have to get the right person behind the counter
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:44 am

Maybe in the states that y'all live in but Never in the state of Georgia if it has been registered with a Bill of Sale.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:11 am

I know of a tow yard owner that bought three classic '60s Dodge cars with no titles, only bills of sale. They then plan on making paperwork as if the cars were towed, in effect "lien" sales. Filing this paperwork usually costs them around $15 dollars. After 30 days, they then can take the lien papers to the DMV and obtain titles and register them. Maybe you can find a "friendly" tow company that is willing to help you, maybe offer a small amount. You would have to trust them, as the lien papers will give ownership to the tow company after the lien period. The tow company gives the lien package to the purchaser of the towed car and a bill of sale and that's used to obtain title.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:48 am

I forgot to mention that if a vehicle has never been registered with a Bill of Sale you can buy a Title Bond from an insurance company for around $150 or so but if the vehicle is 1985 or older you can't even use a Title Bond Company. Laws may differ in other States. We also have the labor & towing vehicle lien law to but once the Garage or Towing Company gets the lien they have to sell the vehicle to a Salvage Yard. They are not allowed to sell the vehicle for a profit & no matter who purchases the vehicle unless it is newer than a 1985 year model Georgia will not issue a title.

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/titlesection/ts_Bonded.aspx
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8728
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:31 am

If you belong to aaa or triple a call them or find a freind who does belong, tell them what you want to do, don't bother telling them you tried to talk with the d.m.v. BUT some states won't issue a title for something bought for $300.00 , Pennslyvania feel like your avoiding paying taxes. I can't speak for Ohio. But talk with triple a's. Your other options could be take photo's then get a nother econo's photo's tell them before and after, . option 2 ask about antque plates ,.You might have to bump your buying price to $800.00 I bought mine from Georgia $600.00 with a bill of sale. worked on her for 4 maybe 5 years. everything redone and I do mean everything. took the new photo's to triple a and had a antque plate in 5 days. hope this helps.

Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:47 pm

I checked the Ohio BMV website and found this question on the FAQ.
    "I purchased my vehicle from an in-state or out-of-state resident and do not have a title. I submitted my evidence to the BMV and still could not get a title. What else can I do?"

The BMV answer was:
    "Contact Titling Support & Dealer Licensing Section, at 614-752-7671 for a denial letter. You may need to seek legal advice for a possible court order title through the Court of Common Pleas (directing the clerk to issue a certificate of title per Ohio Revised Code, Section 4505.10)."

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4505.10

See the clerk of court at your local courthouse. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

You will probably have to buy a title bond that lasts for a certain number of years in case someone else comes forth with proof of ownership. I've done a few of these in North Carolina.

Don't give up hope. The bureaucracy is designed to keep the bad guys from beating the system.

Do you have a bill of sale from the guy you bought it from? If not, you may need to track him down and get one.

Barnabas
    Barnabas

Post by Barnabas Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:55 pm

Apparently Ohio has a process to get a title history.

Visit your nearest County title office, or download the BMV 1173 Title Request form from our website OhioBMV.com under download forms. You may also fax in your request for a form at 614-752-8929. or write in to the Ohio BMV, Deputy Registrar And Title Support Services (D.R.A.T.S.S.), Title Administration and Customer Service Unit (TACS), PO Box 16520, Columbus, Ohio, 43216-6520 and request the form. You will need to supply the vehicle identification number, the year and make of the vehicle. There is a $2.00 charge for each individual title history. This history will reveal all previous owner information if you meet the requirements according to the Driver's Privacy Protection Act (DPPA). Otherwise, you will only receive vehicle information.

Do this and then document how you have tried to contact the previous owner. If you can find out who the executor of the deceased is (Google search), then contact them to see if they will help you get the van in your name.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8728
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 am

Keep this updated i'd love to know how this all pans out..

Number of posts : 292
    Registration date : 2012-12-29

Post by Vannin Ken Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:54 pm

Going thru the same thing with obtaining a title for mine.Texas transfers to Mi requiring a Surety Bond which requires a Bond for 3 years @twice the value for what the purchase price. WOW!!
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Post by Barnabas Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:36 pm

Vannin Ken wrote:Going thru the same thing with obtaining a title for mine.Texas transfers to Mi requiring a Surety Bond which requires a Bond for 3 years @twice the value for what the purchase price. WOW!!
    In NC the bond is for three years at 1.5 times the value in the DMV computer, not the purchase price. I purchased two 1967 vans without titles for $1,000 each. The DMV computer said they are worth $3,000 each. I had them check the computer and found that if they were pickups, even ePups, they would be valued at $500 each. And there is no way to contest the value.
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2009-06-17

Post by mothradeath Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:54 pm

I've got a title still for Ibeatass 64 I had a few gears ago still.......I could kick myself in the ass for not pullin the tag off that thing before I junked it.
    slowmotion
    slowmotion

Number of posts : 30
    Registration date : 2013-09-04

Post by slowmotion Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:00 pm

Hello, new guy here. Have you thought of doing a lean sale on it. That way you could get a clean title for it. You would have to wait for 30 days. But would be good to go then.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 am