VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

8'' rim in front

chainsaw
    chainsaw

Number of posts : 226
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

8'' rim in front Empty 8'' rim in front

Post by chainsaw Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:45 pm

I just bought a set of cragar ss 15x8 with 4.5'' backspace for cheap. They fit the rear perfect but is anyone running a 15x8 on the front? If so what size tire? I like the big and little look and was going to run 235x60 in the back and looking for something smaller for the front. Should I just wait for a 15x6 rim to show up or run the 15x8 in front. Thanks
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

8'' rim in front Empty Re: 8'' rim in front

Post by Magic Bus Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:53 pm

They will probably fit but you may or may not rub your sway bar (if you have one) on a tight turn?
    chainsaw
    chainsaw

Post by chainsaw Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

No swaybar. I bolted up the rim without tire, looks good to the inside. It just seems to stick out toward the fender lip more then I'de like.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:17 pm

That wouldn't be any different than a 7 inch wide wheel with a 0 offset ... Or a  3.5 backspace and 3.5 on the front. That would work fine. I had 17 x9 on my 61 truck in the front. No problem . But as always it's ultimately up to you to get the look you want.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:27 pm

I will be running the Cragers myself and copying Sam Termines setup.  By using the 8's in the back he had to have the wheel lips rolled and then they cleared just fine. In the fronts will be using the 6's as there seems to be more issues with the lower front part of the wheel well hitting as this is the bad spot. I don't know what Ford was thinking to give so much more clearance to the rear than the front and its always been the part that hits and cuts tires. I cant count how many trucks I have seen that were all beat up in that spot. On mine I even moved the axle back 1" just for that reason alone.
     Here is a picture of the on Sam's truck as mine isn't close to being ready yet.  Glad you reminded me as I have been meaning to call a guy on Craigslist that had advertised a mobile service to come and do the job with his machine,,,,, keep forgetting.
      This is the listing I have been saving to buy the tires when I get ready,,,,,,LOL,,,,295 x 50 x 15 for the rear 8" wheels,, but don't have a size written down for the 6" rims...
    Vic

8'' rim in front 100_0910
    chainsaw
    chainsaw

Post by chainsaw Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:43 pm

I like the way Chate has his scooby van set up with 235 60 15 in the back, says they dont rub. I want to get a 15 x4.5 or 6 when I get more money so I can run the skinneys up front. Just trying to get by with the 8'' till then.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:22 pm