VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

ADDCO rear sway bar with stock front and 1 1/8" front

EconoCobra
    EconoCobra

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2013-04-28

ADDCO rear sway bar with stock front and 1 1/8" front Empty ADDCO rear sway bar with stock front and 1 1/8" front

Post by EconoCobra Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:19 am

I posted this message so others could add there knowledge and maybe help out Colin. He sent a PM asking and I am not a expert. I thought others would like share there experiences . Yes I still have the bar. The rear bar that I am having made is 1". The front is 1 1/8". In the late 1970s we ran this combination. The van that we are running the 7/8" ADDCO rear bar and stock front bar is 1966 Super Van 289 and handles very well. We added the  new 1 1/8" front with the ADDCO 7/8" rear two weeks ago and there was a big improvement. There are many posts on this subject. Check them out. The ADDCO is a good bar but three of use just spent $1200.00 for six custom bars. Why ??? Because they work when properly setup with the stock suspension . The 7/8" ADDCO rear works well with the stock front and a 1 1/8" custom front. This van runs 225 70 14 tires on 14x7" rims. Rick
    FCC
    FCC

Number of posts : 295
    Registration date : 2014-04-29

ADDCO rear sway bar with stock front and 1 1/8" front Empty Re: ADDCO rear sway bar with stock front and 1 1/8" front

Post by FCC Thu May 01, 2014 7:31 am

Hey there Rick. I have Addco bars on my old BMW, so this post is refreshing. Do you know if Addco is offering these bars for sale now that they have the pattern? And if they will be sold with a complete and proper installation kit? I can contact them as well, but since I'm here..
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

ADDCO rear sway bar with stock front and 1 1/8" front Empty Re: ADDCO rear sway bar with stock front and 1 1/8" front

Post by kookykrispy Thu May 01, 2014 12:47 pm

Even just the addition of a front bar will dramatically improve handling on these vans. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, all have the same suspension design, and all similar. I have not tried a rear sway bar on any of my vans yet, but it sounds like an excellent idea. Anything to reduce body roll has to be helpful.

I wonder if the rear bar you are talking about would work on ChevyVan and Dodge A100 also, or is it specific for econoline?
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu May 01, 2014 12:53 pm

For $400, this sounds like a Good investment if it improves the handling noticeably! I'd also like to know if they are making these available...

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:18 pm