VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Quick question about lowering the front of an A

tdc
    tdc

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2014-03-10

Quick question about lowering the front of an A Empty Quick question about lowering the front of an A

Post by tdc Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:19 am

Would making new, shorter shackles for the rear of the front spring packs effect anything with the steering/handling of the van? I'm talking like a 1" difference between stock length and the shackles I'm thinking about making.
    This seemed like a really cheap, easy, quick way to drop the front down a little bit that, as far as I can see, would not have any ill effects and would be real quick and easy to put back to stock should I ever want to.
    I understand that the 'throw' of the shackle under compression would be more extreme, as it would need to swing more for the same amount of compression as the stock length, but I don't know if it would be a big enough difference to really effect anything.

I'm also thinking about removing what looks like a 1/4" metal riser pad between the bottom leaf and the axle pad, and possibly that really stubby bottom leaf as well.

Can anyone think of any problems that might arise doing this?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Quick question about lowering the front of an A Empty Re: Quick question about lowering the front of an A

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:06 am

...put down your your real location and we will talk about those caster shims you want to get rid of....
    tdc
    tdc

Quick question about lowering the front of an A Empty Re: Quick question about lowering the front of an A

Post by tdc Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:13 am

I have moved twice in the past four months, and don't know how long I'll be in my current spot. I don't see why you need to know where I live to be helpful, but maybe I'll put it in later on if I get around to it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:43 am

We like to know where our vans and vanners are,,they are all over the World,,,,I like to get an idea of who I am talking to and what part of the World they are in,,,,,,,we like to stick together....not hide,,,,
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:07 pm

We tell where we are because somebody may be close by that can help with parts and such.

Duane in Tennessee
    tdc
    tdc

Post by tdc Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:24 pm

Well, I mean, four months ago I was living in Sacramento. Then I lived in Coquille Oregon for three months, now I'm in North Bend Oregon. In a month or so I could be anywhere.
    I'll go ahead and put my current town in my profile, but who knows how long it'll be accurate.

Anyway, now that this thread has been totally derailed, I'm going to try and get it back on topic.

This being my first straight axle/leaf spring vehicle, I wasn't aware that caster was adjusted with shims, so thanks for that donivan. You were helpful even if you weren't trying to be.
    So raising the rear of the spring with shorter shackles is going to steepen my caster a little bit too, so maybe that's not a good way to go about it after all. Hmm.
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:43 pm

The safest way to lower the front is to have your axle dropped, as in professionally altered with whatever amount of drop you want, there are several companies that do this type of work, both coasts and in between.
    tdc
    tdc

Post by tdc Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:58 pm

I've been looking into that too, but that's a lot of money.
    Looking at the spring mounts, it seems you could raise front and rear at least an inch without having to box the frame. I wonder if anyone's done something like that.
    mohawk64
    mohawk64

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2014-05-26

Post by mohawk64 Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:11 am

Well, aka Mohawk. located i Sweden, owner and rebuilder of a A100 8-door. I decided to flip axels new U-bolts camber chims, and if necceserely box the frame in rear, why? there is´nt anyone in sweden that drops spiders. And I love my A-100 so if it cost a few buck´s how the fu** cares.

down to the ground apx 5-6 inch lower lime green metallic new engion.. XXXXX
    mohawk64
    mohawk64

Post by mohawk64 Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:13 am

Well, aka Mohawk. located i Sweden, owner and rebuilder of a A100 8-door. I decided to flip axels new U-bolts camber chims, and if necceserely box the frame in rear, why? there is´nt anyone in sweden that drops spiders. And I love my A-100 so if it cost a few buck´s how the fu** cares.

mohawk64
    mohawk64

Post by mohawk64 Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:13 am

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:00 pm