VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

A quick question.

A quick question. Empty A quick question.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:36 am

Exucuse me for being just a little slow but could someone tell me what is meant by "first and second generation" when it comes to some of these vans?
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

A quick question. Empty Re: A quick question.

Post by Scott Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:46 am

The first generation Chevy/GMC was made from 64 to 66, looking at the front of one you will see that the headilghts are mounted higher then the signal lights.

The second generation Chevy/GMC was made from 67 to 70, the headlights on the front of them are mounted at the same hight as the signal lights.

The body change isnt the only difference, I'm slowly learning them myself..

Off the top of my head I can tell you the leafsprings are a different width. I'm sure others on here can give a long list of differences. Just remember when finding parts for your van that they may not fit if their from a different generation.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:14 am

You can add the side and rear doors are the same, the front doors are interchangeable but not the hardware inside them. The 1st Gens came with a single line master cylinder, the 2nds have a dual line. The 2nds came in a longer wheelbase with 6 lug wheels and V8 engines.
    But basically the 1st 1964 were really primitive and each year they kept improving on them until the end in 1970.

A quick question. 12_gen10
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:43 pm

Hey Donivan: What do you do if it does happen to rain in California?
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by Kakster Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:10 pm

As I understand the 1st gen had the flat windshield and the 67 on had a curved windshield.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:27 pm

If it would rain, it would give me a reason to stay home and get some work done in my garage. However, when it does rain, if it rains at night, you miss it. Rain is something that is not part of the weather report very often. And if it sprinkles, there will be 100's of car crashes. But no rain means dry brush and that means fires,,,,,now that is a BIG WORRY out here. We had to evacate in 2003 and 2007,,,,,but it only got my back yard and toasted my van a little so I rebuilt it in 2005.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Wow. A long time ago a friend explained to me that the roads out there build up with oil and whatnot so when it rains it's like driving on an ice skating rink.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:42 pm

Thanks for the input about the different generations, I will keep that in mind if I get another one. I don't plan on coming to california but I will try to avoid the rain (even though it never rains in california or so the song goes). Anyway thanks again and have a blessed weekend.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:06 pm