VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Wiper park position ( variable speed 1964)

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-20

Wiper park position ( variable speed 1964) Empty Wiper park position ( variable speed 1964)

Post by rustytoolss Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:13 am

This is the first time I went to install my wiper arms. I have a 64 A100 with variable speed wipers .   My wipers PARK in the full vertical position by the windshield post.  Is this normal for a 64 ??  Is this normal for variable speed wipers ?
    The work fine.  But look strange.   Can they be set to park at the bottom of the windshield ??
    I've looked at a lot of pictures in the gallery. Everyone I see they are parked at the bottom. Could my wiper pivots be installed wrong / or on the wrong sides ?
    Can the link at the wiper motor be turned 180* ? I'm thinking that might be it (if possible)
    Anyone got picture of how the pivots mount (inside the cab view )?

Last edited by rustytoolss on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:06 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : info)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Wiper park position ( variable speed 1964) Empty Re: Wiper park position ( variable speed 1964)

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:24 am

Do the wipers sweep the windshield like they should,,,,,,is that an aftermarket unit?
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Wiper park position ( variable speed 1964) Empty Re: Wiper park position ( variable speed 1964)

Post by rustytoolss Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:13 am

donivan65 wrote:Do the wipers sweep the windshield  like they should,,,,,,is that an aftermarket unit?

It's not an aftermarket system all mopar/ yes they sweep fine, I'm thinking that the wiper motor main link at motor maybe be 180* out (if that's possible). If that motor link can be position in two spots, it my be at the wrong point.
    The guy I bought my A from had never used the wiper system ( San Deigo , CA)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:26 am

....you'll be waiting a long time to use the wiper switch out here in San Diego,,,,,,,so did the system work before or did you install a new or used system from something else,,,,,,,,,,that park feature is a wire to a circuit that basically starts the motor up until it parks the wiper arms back home where they belong,,,,some might be adjustable,,,,,,,,is there just one switch,,,or a delay or washers button?
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:41 am

donivan65 wrote:....you'll be waiting a long time  to use the wiper switch out here in San Diego,,,,,,,so did the system work before or did you install a new or used system from something else,,,,,,,,,,that park feature is a wire to a circuit that basically starts the motor up until it parks the wiper arms back home where they belong,,,,some might be adjustable,,,,,,,,is there just one switch,,,or a delay or washers button?

This is the way the pickup came to me. The whole system works. There is just one switch. Instead of 2 speeds. You turn the switch to the right (toward pass side) the farther you turn it, the faster the wipers move. then by turning switch all the way back to the left to shut off/park wipers. Washer is foot pump.
    Is it possible to get some under dash photos of a wiper motor in parked position ? so I can see how the motor link is positioned, and compare to mine. Or even parts book pictures? my manual does not show much.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:14 am

Think I've found the problem. This pickup was painted at sometime. If the wiper pivots were removed and put on the wrongs sides. That might cause the problem.  Does anyone know if the pivots are side specific ? Or a photo of wiper pivots in park position from under the dash.

I just looked at the pivots...don't think that's the problem.....BUT are the under dash long connecting rods different length ??? if they were/ and on wrong, that could cause the park problem.
    scottie8door
    scottie8door

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2013-11-16

Post by scottie8door Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:43 pm

rusty, the wiper pivot can be used on either side.
    the arm on the pivot should point down.
    it sounds like yours point up, causing them to sweep down,
    then park in the vertical position instead of horizontal.

scottie
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:25 pm

scottie8door wrote:rusty, the wiper pivot can be used on either side.
    the arm on the pivot should point down.
    it sounds like yours point up, causing them to sweep down,
    then park in the vertical position instead of horizontal.

scottie

I wish that were the case. Good to hear from you Scottie.
    My pivot arm links are both down. Are all the wiper parts the same for variable and 2spd systems ? ( motors and switches would be different).
    I'm starting to think that something in the wiper connecting link rods is not right.
    Right now the system works, just parks vertically.
    If you have any parts book photos you could pass along, that would be great.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:33 pm

,,,the book says you can adjust where you park at the motor......
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:37 pm

donivan65 wrote:,,,the book says you can adjust where you park at the motor......

Thanks I'll look into that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:22 pm