VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
dix
rustytoolss
6 posters

Variable speed wiper motor park timing?

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Variable speed wiper motor park timing? Empty Variable speed wiper motor park timing?

Post by rustytoolss Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:42 am

Does anyone have any helpful information about how to adjust the park timing on a variable speed wiper motor. The service manual that I have does not say all that much. My motor is parking 180* off.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8726
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Variable speed wiper motor park timing? Empty Re: Variable speed wiper motor park timing?

Post by dix Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:50 am

not a clue

Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Variable speed wiper motor park timing? Empty Re: Variable speed wiper motor park timing?

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:55 pm

If you say they park straight up, that would make them 90 degrees off,,,,,,,,Park is a set of contact points or a solenoid that keeps the motor turning when you turn off the switch until a cam opens the points and the motor stops when the wipers get parked,,,,,,can you remove a cover to see something like that on the motor?  Did it ever work?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=adjust+dodge+wiper+park+position
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:33 pm

donivan65 wrote:If you say they park straight up, that would make them 90 degrees off,,,,,,,,Park is a set of contact points or a solenoid that keeps the motor turning when you turn off the switch until a cam opens the points and the motor stops when the wipers get parked,,,,,,can you remove a cover to see something like that on the motor?  Did it ever work?

I guess you might be right about the 90* . I don't know if they ever worked. I bought this pickup last fall from CALIF. This is the first I've worked with it.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=adjust+dodge+wiper+park+position
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Anything could be wrong,,,,,,the linkage,,,,the motor,,,,,,so if you removed the wipers arms and put them where they belonged,,,,,with that motor in its parked position,,,,what happens,,,do the wipers then wipe the headlights and bumper? or undo the linkage at the motor and see what the linkage needs to be doing to wipe then park as compared to what the motor is doing,,,,,,,,,,,the motor goes round and round to make the wipers go up and back,,,,,,,maybe an arm is in the wrong place
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:16 pm

donivan65 wrote:Anything could be wrong,,,,,,the linkage,,,,the motor,,,,,,so if you removed the wipers arms and put them where they belonged,,,,,with that motor in its parked position,,,,what happens,,,do the wipers then  wipe the headlights and bumper? or undo the linkage at the motor and see what the linkage needs to be doing to wipe then park as compared to what the motor is doing,,,,,,,,,,,the motor goes  round and round to make the wipers go up and back,,,,,,,maybe an arm is in the wrong place

When I put the wipers at the bottom of windshield (parked), then turn them on. They went down toward headlights.
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:37 pm

I would disconnect the arms from the motor, then run the motor and let it come to a stop. then reconnect the arms at the motor. then try it again. i'm not far from you, in canal fulton. so if you need any help, let me know.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:00 pm

can you turn the motor 180 degrees ?? can you take a photo of the motor and it's location ???

Post by rustytoolss Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:08 pm

diamond dave wrote:I would disconnect the arms from the motor, then run the motor and let it come to a stop. then reconnect the arms at the motor. then try it again. i'm  not far from you, in canal fulton. so if you need any help, let me know.

thanks, I'll try that.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:10 pm

dix wrote:can you turn the motor 180 degrees ?? can you take a photo of the motor and it's location ???

cant reposition the motor 180* I've never posted pictures. Is it hard to do ?
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:38 pm

pm sent

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:10 pm

I'm posting these photo's for shawn regarding the wiper motor not working corectly if any one can heip please jump in. the motor is in a park position.
    Variable speed wiper motor park timing? Untitl11
    Variable speed wiper motor park timing? Wipers10
    Variable speed wiper motor park timing? Wipers11
    Variable speed wiper motor park timing? Wipers12
    tdc
    tdc

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2014-03-10

Post by tdc Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:34 am

did you ever figure this out, rustytoolss?
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:31 pm

Not yet, I did some searching on the web and found a picture of the wiper system of an A100 with variable speed wiper. The photo was from the actual dodge parts book.
    In the parts book photo (in the parked position) the passenger side inner pivot arm was in an up type position...mine is down ????
    If you were to look up under your dash (passenger side) at the arm that goes into the pivot. Is in a up position ? or a down position ? I you could look under your dash, at least it may help .
    Scottie told me that both of the long link arms are the same length.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:39 pm

just a suggestion?? remove the outside wiper arms- then cycle the wiper motor & turn it off! let it park itself!! then reinstall the arms.
    tdc
    tdc

Post by tdc Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:40 pm

I'll go snap some pictures for you. I can already tell by looking at your wiper arm photo that something's wrong, the wiper motor's going to push that arm, which is going to send your blades down rather than up. Be right back with some photos.
    tdc
    tdc

Post by tdc Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:07 pm

Passenger side:
    Variable speed wiper motor park timing? Img_1410

Driver side:
    Variable speed wiper motor park timing? Img_1414

Wiper motor:
    Variable speed wiper motor park timing? Img_1415

It would appear that the cam at your motor is on 180° from where it should be. I'd pull the wiper blade arms off, flip the cam on the motor, let the thing park itself again and verify the inside wiper arms are positioned like in my photos. Then reinstall the wiper blade arms at the bottom of the windshields and you should be good.
    tdc
    tdc

Post by tdc Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:11 pm

Also, taking these photos has made me aware I am missing a bolt from my driver side wiper assembly.  Laughing 
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:08 pm

I've done that. They will always end up in the vertical position when parked.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:14 pm

tdc wrote:Passenger side:

Driver side:

Wiper motor:

It would appear that the cam at your motor is on 180° from where it should be. I'd pull the wiper blade arms off, flip the cam on the motor, let the thing park itself again and verify the inside wiper arms are positioned like in my photos. Then reinstall the wiper blade arms at the bottom of the windshields and you should be good.

I will give that a try in the morning. Thanks for the photos. By the way is your sytem a 2 speed or variable ??
    tdc
    tdc

Post by tdc Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:16 pm

Something's on backwards, and it's gotta be at the wiper motor. Look at the linkages in my photo, then compare them to your photo, my pushrods start out extended away from the motor, yours start out overlapping in front of the motor. You've gotta rearrange something there so that they are resting out away from the motor. This will make your inner wiper arms pointed away from the motor and towards the sides of the van, like in my photos, rather than pointed in and towards the wiper motor.
    tdc
    tdc

Post by tdc Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:16 pm

It's varible.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:21 pm

tdc wrote:Passenger side:

Driver side:

Wiper motor:

When you say flip the cam do you mean the internal gear in the wiper transmission ? OR the link arm on the back of the motor ?
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:26 pm

tdc wrote:Something's on backwards, and it's gotta be at the wiper motor. Look at the linkages in my photo, then compare them to your photo, my pushrods start out extended away from the motor, yours start out overlapping in front of the motor. You've gotta rearrange something there so that they are resting out away from the motor. This will make your inner wiper arms pointed away from the motor and towards the sides of the van, like in my photos, rather than pointed in and towards the wiper motor.

Is your wiper motor (the round can part "motor" ) hanging toward the drivers side ? Mine is. Hard to tell from your photos>
    tdc
    tdc

Post by tdc Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:27 pm

The link arm on the back of the motor. Dunno why I was calling it a cam. I've not had mine apart, so I don't really know how it goes together, but I'm guessing your problem is that it's somehow on backwards.
    Variable speed wiper motor park timing? Img_1416

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am