VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

GM HEI Distributor

RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

GM HEI Distributor Empty GM HEI Distributor

Post by RF Man Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:44 pm

So I'm working on my engine for my new 61 Econo Pickup and wanted to know if anyone is running one of the GM HEI Distributors. I'm building a 68 200 6cyl and I always dump the points dissy. I would normally just go with a re-curved Dura-Spark, but the new HEI's have got me curious. Actual fit is my main concern. I contacted a dealer and he says it measures 14" top to bottom--the Dura-Spark is about 10". The question is there enough room in the doghouse for the extra length. I really don't want to modify the doghouse.
    Any thoughts-----THX Mike
    Savage64
    Savage64

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2014-01-24

GM HEI Distributor Empty Re: GM HEI Distributor

Post by Savage64 Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:10 am

I'm not absolutely sure, but I don't think it will fit. I looked at the HEI for my 64 van but didn't think it work without modifying the doghouse. Really wanted to use the HEI because they are powerful and simple to wire, but just went with the '78 Dura Spark and a GM module.
    RF Man
    RF Man

Post by RF Man Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:22 am

I guess I should have did a search on the forum. LVMtnMan posted a pic last December showing his HEI. Doghouse had to be cut and modified. I'm hoping a large cap Dura Spark will fit into my small doghouse. The after market HEI's have really come down in price and would be and excellent option. Would really clean up the engine compartment.
    THX Mike
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:01 pm

I've been reading about the upgrade using a Duraspark 2 distributor with the HEI 4pin module (78 camaro). Is that what you're using Savage? I won't do the upgrade right away but am researching the options for my Falcon this summer.
    Savage64
    Savage64

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2014-01-24

Post by Savage64 Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:24 pm

Yes, The GM 4 pin ( Camaro 350) is what I'm using. Check out www.gofastforless.com before you start. They cover everything about the conversion, Great information!!
    RF Man
    RF Man

Post by RF Man Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:25 pm

The other thing that does wonders to a Dura_Spark is to re-set the advance curve using a heavier spring in place of the light spring inside the distributor with one of the heavier springs from a Mr Gasket 925D curve kit. It really fattens the power band on a six cyl. This is why I really like the Ford 200 six. For very limited money you can build a screaming little monster---and still get 20+ mpg.

The new HEI's have really come down in price and would really clean up the engine compartment---maybe someone will build a shorter version that would easily work in our Econos.

Mike
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks guys. I'll look into those and I'm sure I'll do the upgrade sooner than later. Right now, I have to rewire the van, upgrade to disc brakes, and finish the rear rust repair first.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 4:20 pm