VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Distributor

Distributor  Empty Distributor

Post by Guest Fri May 11, 2012 8:00 am

Hi
    follow up from recent post, thanks for everyones help.
    My 64 E van was running rough under a load, I had the carb rebuilt tank cleaned out and a new fuel filter.
    To no avail still having same problem? Checked the points they're fine, one mechanic said it could be the distributor.
    messing up the vacuum advance. Should I just replace the whole distributor or the vacuum advance.
    Thanks Rally72
    Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Distributor  Empty Re: Distributor

Post by Murdock Fri May 11, 2012 10:04 am

You might want to check the voltage to the coil, the resistance wires have a habit of changing their value over time. A ballast resistor is a better way to go if it happens to be the case.
    bugman
    bugman

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2011-12-17

Post by bugman Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:11 am

It's almost impossible to reach the hold down bolt, can anyone tell me if it's a special tool and what size? My fingers are guessing 1/2 inch...It almost looks like I have to cut down a wrench
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:30 am

yes there is a special tool-most parts stores carry it . 1/2 @ 1 end 9/16 other end
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:30 pm

You said the points are good. To me that says you need to go to the junk yard and get an electronic ignition. I got one for $75. Best thing I did to my truck.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:35 pm

the post here starts with the points are fine . How did you check those? Dwell meter? or just take a peek @ them?? condenser & points are still cheap - as plugs are -just re do all & see what happens then & be sure to set that points set with a dwell meter too. Cap ?? Rotor?? Carbon tracking in cap?? Also - are the terminals in the car alunimum or copper/?Moisture inside cap?/
    bugman
    bugman

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2011-12-17

Post by bugman Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:09 am

Pints and allother stuff under the cap were fine, I just needed to set timing. I cut down a wrench and timed it with the vacuum method since there was no hope of finding a timing mark on the pulley. A quick test drive afterwards confirmed thatit was wayout, the van runs like new now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:30 am