VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
NoBiggie
pilotmtnraider
donivan65
EconoUSAparts
G-Man
Hangtime
10 posters

Rear Shackles for Front Leaf Springs

Hangtime
    Hangtime

Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2008-09-11

Rear Shackles for Front Leaf Springs Empty Rear Shackles for Front Leaf Springs

Post by Hangtime Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:29 pm

Can someone help me here? I need to replace my front shackles but I don't know which to order. In the MacsAutoParts catalog they show two different kits. One is for 61-64 and the other 65-67. I have looked at other posts and visually matched them and don't see the difference. I believe my bushing dimensions are.
    ID 9/16
    OD 1.1
    lip od 1.4
    length 1.5 inches
    One kit cost is 112.95 The other is 56.95. Of course mine would be the more expensive one.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Rear Shackles for Front Leaf Springs Empty Re: Rear Shackles for Front Leaf Springs

Post by G-Man Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Do they have a phone #??? You should call if you can to find out whats differant
    Hangtime
    Hangtime

Rear Shackles for Front Leaf Springs Empty Re: Rear Shackles for Front Leaf Springs

Post by Hangtime Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:25 pm

That is a good idea. I just assumed I would get a person on the phone that wouldn't be wiliing or able to take the two parts and compare the them. We'll see how their customer service is.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:36 pm

Theres definitely a difference on the rear ones but to be honest I ve never really paid attention to the fronts before. The rears have a long thin version and also a short thicker version for the later models.
    Hangtime
    Hangtime

Post by Hangtime Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:01 am

I just got off the phone with RJ, he is a Techinician at MacsAutopParts.com. He went to the warehouse, pulled both parts and was able to spec the difference for me. The only difference was the length of the shackle (from metal stud to metal stud). 61-64 was 3 1/4" 65-67 4". The bushing diameter was the same and the bushing length was the same. Good customer service right there.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:10 pm

How much were these?
    Hangtime
    Hangtime

Post by Hangtime Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 pm

The 4 inch kit is 112.95
    The 3.5 kit just went up in price to 156.95 Ouch.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:48 pm

what are the shackles? bounce Embarassed Embarassed
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:16 pm

Rear Shackles for Front Leaf Springs Gold_s10

Post by Guest Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:41 pm

highway robbery !
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:59 pm

there's some NOS ones I posted in the parts section on ebay right now
    Hangtime
    Hangtime

Post by Hangtime Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:08 pm

I am going to bid on that auction, hopefully there is a deal to be had there.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:59 pm

$20 shipping !?!
    pilotmtnraider
    pilotmtnraider

Number of posts : 65
    Registration date : 2008-05-30

Post by pilotmtnraider Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:24 pm

May be a dumb question, but for some reason my brain isn't working. Will a shorter shackles raise or lower my van? 65 Ford and of course the leaf springs sit on top of the asked. Thanks guys.
    pilotmtnraider
    pilotmtnraider

Number of posts : 65
    Registration date : 2008-05-30

Post by pilotmtnraider Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:25 pm

That's axles not asked. Stupid spell check.
    NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Number of posts : 726
    Registration date : 2012-09-26

Post by NoBiggie Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:55 pm

Check out my thread about shackles here. I have the links listed for the right ones. Rock Autos were too long, Car Parts Discount were right.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t33353-leaf-spring-shackles-rockauto-brand-bigger
    petesponies
    petesponies

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2013-12-10

Post by petesponies Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:10 pm

If you use longer shackles, you will flatten the spring and raise your van.
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Hdy Petesponies, where in SC are you?
    petesponies
    petesponies

Post by petesponies Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Living in Chesterfield County right now, building a house in Marlboro County. Shop is at my new house location. What's up?
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Post by dan nachel Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:48 pm

I know a few vanners in SC. I live in Swansea, (south of columbia)
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Post by dan nachel Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Welcome to VV. We have a cruise-in every second Saturday from April to November, in West Columbia. Maybe you can come on down next spring.
    petesponies
    petesponies

Post by petesponies Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Next spring sounds good. I have lots of vehicles, but just picked up a '65 Econoline pickup . . .wanted one for a long time. I had a '63 van 30 years ago. Thanks
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Post by dan nachel Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:38 pm

I've got a 64 p/up. Had a 66 van 30 some years ago. I just got done with a 302 conversion, rack n pinion steering, disc brkes up front, 9" lift with 31x10.5x15 tires, and a five on the floor.
    petesponies
    petesponies

Post by petesponies Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:07 pm

the 5 speed on the floor interests me . . how did you do that?
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Post by dan nachel Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Look in the archives for the full story, but short version is, One rod going straight back to a "z" bar for the for/aft movement and one rod going to the side, turning a pipe that runs down the side conected to another rod for the side to side movement.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:04 am