VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

brake issue

brake issue Empty brake issue

Post by Guest Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi guys;

This weekend Dad and I worked on the brakes. We we picked up the van, we noticed a bunch of brake fluid and muck on the inside of the drivers side rear wheel. When we drove the van and tries to stop, the van pulled hard to the right, (passengers side). We figured the left wheel cylinder must have been the cause. So, we changed both rear wheel cylinders and shoes on both rear wheels for good measure, unfortunately, that didn't cure the problem.
    Do you think its the front brakes or is there something else that may be causing the issue? We havn't pulled the front wheels to see yet and we'll do that anyway but maybe there is something else we havn't looked into yet. What else might it be?
    I did learn about brakes and we both got a little dirty so that was cool.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

brake issue Empty Re: brake issue

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:59 pm

Hey Ryan,
    Welcome and glad to see you now have your own log-in. Untill you get into the hubs and see what you have it is very hard to tell. If it is pulling really hard to the right it may be several things. It that one wheel ajusted to tight or is it the only one working? Who know's? Best to clean them all and replace any worn parts or greasy brake pads, ajust each wheel and then bleed the system in the correct order: (RR,LR,RF,LF) and then a test drive and go from there...

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

brake issue Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:53 pm

A quick test of the rear brakes is to pull the emergency brake while moving and see if the rear brakes are working evenly,,,,,,
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:45 pm

My guess would be the R front(rubber) brake hose is rusted up on the inside. Troys 64 van was doing what you said and he changed the hose and it fixed it(I had the back one on my 68 rust shut) When I bleed mine I stared with the LR its the farthest from the MC(on early Chevys??)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:31 am