VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Sy Hollinshead
Jessetygr
6 posters

Timing issue or vacuum issue ?

Jessetygr
    Jessetygr

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2012-01-06

Timing issue or vacuum issue ?   Empty Timing issue or vacuum issue ?

Post by Jessetygr Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Hey guys,
    I'm in the final stages of my bringing my 65 falcon back to life and i've run into a bit of a speed bump with the engine. I spend the first year attacking the body, the interior (with the magic touch of Fred Carello) and finally moved on to the engine last month. I pulled out my old 170 and had it stripped down, rebuilt and now it's bolted back in. I tried to rebuild my carb (disaster LoL) and eventually had to throw in the towel a swap it out for a rebuilt one from autoline. (I think the one they gave me was originally an autolite 1100 but its been wiped clean and re-stamped so not 100% sure)
    I've changed my coil, my wires, plugs , pulled the points and added an electronic ignition to my distributor.
    I finally got it back out on the road and I've run into a few problems ( I'm sure they are all related..) The engine turns over and revs super smooth when first started. After a few minutes though, the idle starts to get rough. The engine seems to be running a lot hotter since its been rebuilt. When I'm rolling, I seem to have okay power in 1st & 2nd gear but as soon as I get moving at any speed, the van loses almost all its acceleration. I'll have the pedal to the floor on a flat highway yet the van can hardly break 65mph. It feels like its maxed out yet before I rebuilt it, although it was rough, the engine would accelerate up thro 80mph without ever needing to press down the gas.

(I will post a disclaimer that I'm very much mechanically challenged and this is my first project I've ever tried to build. I'm very much learning as go so if I'm complete off, please ignore)

At first I thought it was a carb issue but I had a friend help adjust it and it seems to be working great. Based on what I've read in the VV forum, it sounds like it could be a timing or timing chain issue preventing a full combustion?
    Part of me thinks it could be a vacuum issue as well?
    I'm thinking about swapping out my current distributor for an HEI setup which mayhelp.
    Any thoughts on where I should start troubleshooting??
    Thx guy

Thx
    Jes
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Timing issue or vacuum issue ?   Empty Re: Timing issue or vacuum issue ?

Post by Sy Hollinshead Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:55 pm

Google 'How to set the timing with a vacuum gauge'.

I did this and mine had never run so well... It also deals with the basic adjustments on the carb to help get a smooth idle.
    Jessetygr
    Jessetygr

Post by Jessetygr Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:03 am

Thanks @SyHollinshead! I just googled it and I'm going to play around with it today!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:00 am

Likely =NOT a timing gear/chain problems =as you had a shop rebuild it all? Likely just crank/ign timing not to specs? Have you set the crank timing with a timing light? with any vacumn lines disconnected & plugged? When thats accomplished- then use that vacumn gague to final adjust .cheers 
    Jessetygr
    Jessetygr

Post by Jessetygr Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:45 am

Thanks for the tip @Twinpilot001 !!
    A friend of mine is helping me check the crank/ign timing today so hopefully thats where the problem lies.. I will be pretty surprised if its the timing chain as you are right in that it would be a pretty big thing for the engine rebuilders to over look.
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:15 pm

If you think you have a vacuum leak, spray carb cleaner around the base of the carb, the intake gasket, the vacuum lines, ect. If the idle goes up at any point, that is where the leak is.
    Jessetygr
    Jessetygr

Post by Jessetygr Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:12 pm

We figured it out! ( You nailed it Twinpilot001 )
    It was a very poorly timed crank/ign. We tweaked the timing, hit the road and the difference is incredible.. Much more power to the wheels and the engine runs a lot smoother!
    Thanks for your help guys!
    Bluelemon
    Bluelemon

Number of posts : 139
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Bluelemon Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:35 pm

Could also have been fuel filter or stuff in the tank....
    Glad You found the problem.
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:21 am

Sy is right on. Timing marks on these old engines can shift and make a timing light useless. Base timing specs are usually retarded which causes poor performance and will make your engine run hotter. The vac gauge tune will give the engine what it wants and not what the book calls for.
    Another tip, if you suspect a vac leak, is to spray the carb and manifold area with carb cleaner with the engine running. If you notice a change this will show you right where the leak is.
    Jessetygr
    Jessetygr

Post by Jessetygr Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks Bluelemon & 66ThunderVan.

When we went to check the timing marks, we noticed they were completely gone so it was the Vac gauge all the way!
    I swapped out the fuel filter & i'm in the process of learning how to attack the '69 mustang gas tank swap. (well first, I'm watching "how to weld" videos on Youtube, then attacking the tank! LOL)

There are definitely some issue with the venting of my current tank as I hardly pump gas into my currently tank with out over flowing everywhere.. (It takes about 10 mins to fill up with gas!!)

Hopefully, this will kill a few birds with one stone!
    Jes

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:38 pm

hey =jess= careful with any welding on any used gas tank!!!!!!!!!! they can explode!! Take it to an experienced welder for mods!! better safe than sorry!! We dont want to loose anyone!!cheers 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:31 am