VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

slant 6 timing/vacuum advance issues

slant 6 timing/vacuum advance issues Empty slant 6 timing/vacuum advance issues

Post by Guest Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:24 am

My new slant 6 (18,000 mile 225 from a little old lady '71 Demon) needs help. I converted to electronic ignition at the same time as putting the motor in

The brand new module is located on the firewall with brand new wiring. I've tried different modules, same results. Used distributor.

I have the motor timed at 5 degrees with the vacuum advance disconnected, as per service manual. When driving, the van will buck and chuck and run totally lopsided. If I disconnect the vacuum advance (which is connected to the carb) the motor runs fine, but a little sluggish like there's not enough power.

What's going on? is 5 degrees too much advance? How can that be? Is there something wrong with my distributor? Is my harmonic balancer located in the wrong spot, making my timing marks off?

I'm at wits end. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks.
    Neil.

slant 6 timing/vacuum advance issues Empty Re: slant 6 timing/vacuum advance issues

Post by Guest Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:40 am

Most of the /6's I've delt with are timed right at TDC w/ the vac advance unplugged. Try that just for sh*ts and giggles.

You could have a bad vacuum advance too.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

slant 6 timing/vacuum advance issues Empty Re: slant 6 timing/vacuum advance issues

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:26 pm

You could be right about the timing marks being off if the damper is mounted in rubber. I think I would put a vacuum gauge on it and adjust the distributor for the highest vacuum reading. And maybe wiggle the primary wires on the distributor when it running or put a vacuum source to the advance unit. You could have some frayed wires on the breaker plate since its always twisting in there whenever the breaker plate moves. And see if somehow the original ballast resistor is still in there somewhere, cutting down your voltage when you need it.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:27 pm

i will check but some were using ported vacume and others manifold vacume. ported is a fitting above the throttle plate and basicly no vacume at idle. the manifold type is just that manifold vacume at idle possibly 17-20 inches of vacume. thats another way of timing your engine get the highest vacume reading at idle but for a novice there is a lot of other things to take into consideration. try moving your vacume line at the carb from one to the other and do a test drive. your base timing of 5 degrees is not that far off to cause the conditions you describe. what is your carb? holley or carter 1 or 2 bbl.?? also 4 or 5 wire control unit

Post by Guest Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:28 pm

Yes, I am a novice so I don't really know what I'm doing, but I sure am learning!

Great tips guys! I'll check inside the distributor and make sure everything looks okay, but if the vacuum advance isn't right, I don't know how to set it. Seems to me the vacuum advance canister was tested and good when we put the distributor in.

It's a Holley 1 barrel, 4 wire control unit. Ballaster resistor is new, I've tried the old one too.

Nate you said to put it a TDC, but my book says 5 degrees? I'll try zero though.

Last edited by enbro on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:00 pm

Out of curiosity..what book are you using?

Post by Guest Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:05 pm

jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:09 pm

this is a stupid question but 2 or 4 pin ballast resistor??? i still think you got the wrong vacume port at the carb going to your dizzys vacume advance. we wont discuss adjusting the vacume advance till we try a few other things.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:07 am

Most likely you have the Holley 1920 carb. The vaccum port for the dist. is on the throttle plate facing the passenger side.

Yep..Enbro that's the book. 5 deg. ay? Gotta remember though...that timing spec. was for the factory point dist. Now you have electronic ignition which may change some things. Try using a vacuum gauge to set you timing like was suggested here. 17-20 in Hg

Post by Guest Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:24 am

Yes, it's connected to the carb. So at idle, there should be no vacuum? So if I hook my vacuum guage to the port off the carb, set the timing until it reads zero?

I think my book says 5 degrees but 0 degrees for a motor with CAP. I chose the 5 degrees because I don't have any CAP (clean air package, smog control) stuff.

Thanks a lot guys!
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:24 am

search at slantsix.org - you will probably find more info than you want ! - many guys there switch to electronic ignition using a gm hei module - i am putting together parts to do so myself - they also mention when doing any electronic conversion you should use a solid state voltage regulator - although that is probably not your problem - did you run the engine before converting to electronic ignition ? - oo3
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:56 am

You need to find a source of manifold vacuum just for test purposes. And that test would be to hook up a vacuum gauge to it and see what the reading is when the engine is idling. It should be at least 17" of vacuum. Then twist the distributor around to get the highest reading and smoothest idle that you can. Then look at where the timing mark ends up. Then you check and adjust the carb. The vacuum advance needs ported vacuum, which is 0 at idle,, 17 at high speed. So take that vacuum gauge and find a port on that carb that acts that way. And you need to check if the centrifugal (if you have it) and the vacuum advances actual are working by watching how much they advance the timing at the timing mark. Each one should maybe add 15 degrees advance to your base timing if you are checking it with a timing light at high RPMs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:15 pm