VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

size of belts

dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

size of belts Empty size of belts

Post by dodge man Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:53 pm

i'm replaceing my matching bets on my 318 the gates # is 9490 or 9480 witch belts do i order? thanks for any help,
    john
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

size of belts Empty Re: size of belts

Post by RodStRace Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:03 pm

C'mon now John, Give us all the info right up front.
    Whenever you go into a parts store or order something, what's the FIRST thing they ask?
    Year/Make/Model/Engine Size
    ????/Dodge/A100/318
    gotta keep us figuring this out...
    also in this case, which belt?
    Since these didn't come with P/S or A/C for the most part, I can guess it's a W/P and Alt. belt, but please spell it out.

The numbering is 9 (V-belt, automotive sizing) and 470 or 480 (= the length in inches around the outside, either 47" or 48").
    Since they are only an inch different over nearly 4 feet, I'd guess either should work. Note that the shorter one will cause the alt. to sit closer to the engine and may withstand a greater RPM before loosing grip. The longer one will be easier to remove/install since the alt will swing in further, and provided it doesn't cause the adjustment to be fully extended before the belt is tensioned properly, will work fine.
    I'd guess that the original was somewhere in between these (475?) and they will both work. Over time, the bracket can wear, the Alt. can replaced with a different size pulley and that's if the WP pulley and crank pulley are the original parts.
    Is the old belt number visible? It may have a different prefix (15 or 17), but the last 3 digits should be the same.

I would also caution that if possible, request a matched set. These are produced by laying up like a tire, then cutting a big wide belt into a bunch of individual belts. Matched belts come from the same wide one instead of different batches and will tighten up more evenly.

dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:13 pm

sounds good rod, i just took it for granet that everyone would know its an a100 318 since i'm on the a100 sight, and just about all only had alt, and water pump to drive, i think i'll go with the 9490 since its a little longer, thanks john

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:08 pm