VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Question on Trans Dip Stick...

Scotts_A100

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Question on Trans Dip Stick... Empty Question on Trans Dip Stick...

Post by Scotts_A100 Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:31 pm

I have what might be a simple question and although the answer may be obvious to others I sure don't know the answer.

The auto trans in my '69 A100 does not have a dip stick and I would sure like to get one for it. I've no idea if it is the same on any of the other 727 trans or is unique to the A100. Any and all input to getting to the bottom of this question is welcome. And at the same time if someone has one I sure would be interested in it if it is available. Thanks, Scott...
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Question on Trans Dip Stick... Empty Re: Question on Trans Dip Stick...

Post by RodStRace Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:00 am

Each 'stick' and 'tube' pair are matched. They work together to allow the stick to extend into the transmission a specific amount. There are a bunch of different 'pairs' for different combinations. Any 'pair' that fits the doghouse will work. So you can go to a junkyard, grab a pair and install them in your trans.
    Remember that the level is checked in neutral, not park, and the level when off is higher than the seal on the tube and the pan gasket, so use a new quality seal.
    Scotts_A100

Post by Scotts_A100 Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks Rod for the insight. Most all the yards in the Metro Detroit area have only cars from the last 10 to 20 years at best so coming by a tube and stick will be a bit of a challenge. There are other parts yards quite a bit north or west of the Metro area though which I'll check out the next time I want to take a cruise. Thanks agin, Scott...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:33 pm

A short stick and tube from mid 70's will work there is an eletric with idiot light also.Not to sure how to wire it up is very basic

Last edited by bobleverington on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : not sure about wiring)
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2013-02-22

Post by Wheelie Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:19 pm

I have a correct trans dipstick for our vans that I got by
    Mistake. I paid $30 for it and I only want my money back. If your interested pm me.
    Scotts_A100

Post by Scotts_A100 Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Wheelie wrote:I have a correct trans dipstick for our vans that I got by
    Mistake. I paid $30 for it and I only want my money back. If your interested pm me.

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it but I've got two other people checking for me too so I'm going to wait until I hear back from them first. I also am obviously not in sync with what a dip stick would go for, I sure was not thinking that a dip stick would end up costing $30. I'll let you know within the next week. Scott...
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2013-02-22

Post by Wheelie Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:07 am

I wasn't either lol I needed an oil dipstick. I went back and checked my purchase history, I paid $25.86. I will sell it for $25 to help out a fellow vanner if you decide you want it. ALso it is from a '69 a100 and it measures 22" from the handle base (the black ring in the pic) to the tip.

Question on Trans Dip Stick... Photo_zpse900ba84

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:57 pm