VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Rochester Monojet

SteelyVan
    SteelyVan

Number of posts : 112
    Registration date : 2009-08-14

Rochester Monojet Empty Rochester Monojet

Post by SteelyVan Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:53 am

About once or twice a year I have to take my carb completely off. The bolts that hold the bowl to the throttle body eventually come loose. These bolts thread in from the bottom (upside down) and are a pan head phillips. There is not enough clearance to tighten these when the carb is bolted to the manifold. Has anybody just replaced the bolts with hex heads or just used lock washers? I used to think this was just part of the romance of owning an early but I sure would hate to do this on the shoulder of a busy highway. I guess i'm concerned about mixing metals (possible reaction/seizing) combined with weeping gas residue and the heat of the manifold. Am I over-thinking this?

SV
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Rochester Monojet Empty Re: Rochester Monojet

Post by dan nachel Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:16 am

If you over tighten them, you will strip thr threads. Hex head bolts will only increase the possibillity of this happening. The best way to fix the problem is to use locktight. the blue formula will keep the bolts tight, yet allow you to break them loose when needed. If your not familliar with locktight, it is a liquid that you put a dab on the threads of the bolt, and then snug it up. The locktight works like a glue to keep vibration from working the bolts loose.
    SteelyVan
    SteelyVan

Post by SteelyVan Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks Dan,
    I thought of loctite and read the blue formula technical data sheet. Says it's good up to 300 degrees. Figured the manifold (1/2" away) would exceed that temperature at times. I'm gonna try it anyway, can't hurt! Red and green need local heat to break loose and I don't feel like working on a carb bomb trying to apply those kinds of temps next to the float bowl. Even if it is empty!

SV
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:06 am

The blue locktight should work fine, even that close to the manifold. I use it on most bolts on my harley.
    SteelyVan
    SteelyVan

Post by SteelyVan Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:29 am

Nuff said. Thanks again.

SV

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:56 pm