VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Where does the Choke Cable Go? Rochester MonoJet

Viking
    Viking

Number of posts : 59
    Registration date : 2012-03-07

Where does the Choke Cable Go? Rochester MonoJet Empty Where does the Choke Cable Go? Rochester MonoJet

Post by Viking Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:17 am

Hello there,
    Sorry to ask again on this issue but I still have no Idea where to hook the choke cable up to my Carb. So I took Pics to show what I'm working with. Please if you have this same set with a manual choke please send me a pics so I can put this to rest. Here are both sides of the Carb.

Where does the Choke Cable Go? Rochester MonoJet Carb_112

Where does the Choke Cable Go? Rochester MonoJet Carb_212
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Where does the Choke Cable Go? Rochester MonoJet Empty Re: Where does the Choke Cable Go? Rochester MonoJet

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:43 am

That carburetor is for an automatic choke....the thermostatic spring sits right below that lever and mounts on the exhaust manifold with a rod that connects it up to that choke plate lever,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Where does the Choke Cable Go? Rochester MonoJet Empty Re: Where does the Choke Cable Go? Rochester MonoJet

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:48 am

Where does the Choke Cable Go? Rochester MonoJet Repair95
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:16 am

Where does the Choke Cable Go? Rochester MonoJet Monoje10
    Viking
    Viking

Post by Viking Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:44 pm

Donivan65,

Hmmm Is there a way to make it only a Manual choke? I have the maunal choke pull and cable mounted to the Dog house. Or should I find the manual choke version carb.

donivan65 wrote:That carburetor is for an automatic choke....the thermostatic spring sits right below that lever and mounts on the exhaust manifold with a rod that connects it up to that choke plate lever,,,,,
    Viking
    Viking

Post by Viking Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Donivan, Thanks for the help on this. Really appreciate it. So does this Monojet automatic choke just bolt into the Manifold? I have a Integrated head on my I6 250. It just senses heat right? If it cold it chokes and opens as it heats up. it just needs to mount under the carb. yeah? Once again thanks for the help.

donivan65 wrote:Where does the Choke Cable Go? Rochester MonoJet Monoje10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:13 pm

Sure,,,,,,open the doghouse and pull up on that lever with your finger to close the choke when you want to start the engine,,,,,or,,,,,you could build a little bracket to hold the choke cable and let it work the choke plate to get by,,,,,and you might have to push that cable knob to set the choke and pull it to take the choke off because of how that lever is mounted on that choke plate shaft
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:24 pm

The automatic choke thermostat uses the exhaust manifold heat to open the choke,,,,however, them there wonderful integral intake manifold cylinder heads hide the exhaust manifold under the intake,,,,and I think those type of cylinder heads use an electric choke on their carburetors,,,,does it look like there is a place for the automatic choke to mount on that head,,,,,and you might not even need a choke where you live,,,,just pump the gas pedal a bunch of times and see if the engine starts without a choke,,,,,
    Viking
    Viking

Post by Viking Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:57 pm

I'll take a closer look this weekend and see If there is a place to mount one. I'm sensing a bit of sarcasm about the Integrated head. haha. I'll try pumping as well. I'm in the process of redoing my radiator set at the moment. but thanks for the feed back. Also if you don't mind can I pick your brain on an electrical issue.

I had a hot wire coming out of my fuse box from the Ign unfused spot on my fuse panel and I can't for the life of my figure out where it goes. Any ideas??

donivan65 wrote:The automatic choke thermostat uses the exhaust manifold heat to open the choke,,,,however, them there wonderful integral intake manifold cylinder heads hide the exhaust manifold under the intake,,,,and I think those type of cylinder heads use an electric choke on their carburetors,,,,does it look like there is a place for the automatic choke to mount on that head,,,,,and you might not even need a choke where you live,,,,just pump the gas pedal a bunch of times and see if the engine starts without a choke,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:34 pm

So what about the wire,,,,is it a wire that comes from something and plugs into that spot on the fusebox or a wire connected to that terminal on the fusebox that goes nowhere?
    Viking
    Viking

Post by Viking Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:36 am

Wire that goes nowhere. Is there something specific that plugs into that spot??

donivan65 wrote:So what about the wire,,,,is it a wire that comes from something and plugs into that spot on the fusebox or a wire connected to that terminal on the fusebox that goes nowhere?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:00 am

That is just a place to get power for something in case you want to add something new to your van,,,,,,,it is only on if the ignition is on,,,there is no fuse in it,,,,,,do you see where they added something at sometime,,,,,driving/back up/dome lights,,,,radio amplifier,,,CB radio,,,fans,,,,,,HEI distributor,,,,
    Viking
    Viking

Post by Viking Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Ok cool, I did see anything going in there but I have a Electric fan I'm about to put in to go in there now. Thanks Donivan.

donivan65 wrote:That is just a place to get power for something in case you want to add something new to your van,,,,,,,it is only on if the ignition is on,,,there is no fuse in it,,,,,,do you see where they added something at sometime,,,,,driving/back up/dome lights,,,,radio amplifier,,,CB radio,,,fans,,,,,,HEI distributor,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Electric cooling fan for the radiator? They can draw around 13-14 amps running. The stock wiring harness from the doghouse to the dash really isnt designed for that much of an Extra load. Not saying it wouldnt work , just sayin I wouldnt do it.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:56 pm

I'm with Digz on the electric fan. Mine draws 30 amps on full speed so I have mine through a 40 amp breaker.

You need to have the right wwire size and fused properly or your lookin to burn your van down.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:52 pm

The correct way is to run battery power to a relay, then to the fan,,,,,and use that terminal on the fuse box to turn the relay on which which does not use much power to operate it but lets it transfer a whole bunch of power from the battery to what ever you want,,,,,
    Viking
    Viking

Post by Viking Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:17 am

I wired it totally separate from the harness. 20 amp fuse on the hot wire and ran it through a relay. Working like a champ. I used a diagram I believe Danthevanman put on here.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:55 am