VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Monojet Help

Monojet Help Empty Monojet Help

Post by Guest Wed May 12, 2010 8:22 pm

OK, I've been having soe carb problems as you all know. So I started driving Ester kinda as a daily driver lately, so the carb flooding issue was a problem. So I pulled the top off and found the float adjustment WAY off as Donivan thought. Got that taken care of and drivability is WAY better, but when she sits for more than a day there isnt any fuel in the bowl.

Where do I start looking? Is it the main and needle? I really havent torn into it yet, but need to.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Monojet Help Empty Re: Monojet Help

Post by donivan65 Wed May 12, 2010 8:31 pm

So are you pulling the cover off and actually seeing that the bowl is dry or is just acting like there is no fuel in there when you crank it?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed May 12, 2010 9:16 pm

The needle and seat controls fuel flow IN.
    The usual suspects are:
    1. Plugged air bleeds allowing siphoning of the fuel. Clean the carb with carb cleaner.
    2. Leaking passage plugs. This is most common on Q-jets, but any carb with passages and plugs below the fuel level can do this. Fixing requires JB weld over the plugs after disassembly.
    3. Boiling. usually does not empty the float bowl, but will drop the level a lot. Make sure the proper thick gasket is used, and consider other methods to keep the carb cool.
    4. Warped castings and leaking gaskets. Rebuild time, and check all parts.

Post by Guest Fri May 14, 2010 9:52 am

If I let it sit after driving it for about 15 minutes, its flooded, and it doesnt do it all the time. Its really messin with me. Got to get a rebuild kit so I have the new gaskets this weekend. Gunna tear into it and get her fixed..........I hope.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri May 14, 2010 10:23 am

That is not the same (flooding) as draining over a day or 2 . Make sure you install a GOOD fuel filter along with the rebuild.

Post by Guest Fri May 14, 2010 2:00 pm

Oh..............it does both, and I've already got a good filter on it
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri May 14, 2010 6:21 pm

So how are you determining that the carb is draining or dry? And what do you do to fix it,,,,smack it? One thing could be that the float or needle sticks and stops the fuel from flowing back into the carb after it evaporates and even causes the other problem or flooding out because it won't shut the gas off when the bowl is full. So I guess you need to install a carb kit and then see if it fixes one or both of your problems.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:18 am