VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

whats up with this carb?

thatcherworks
    thatcherworks

Number of posts : 102
    Registration date : 2012-07-14

whats up with this carb? Empty whats up with this carb?

Post by thatcherworks Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:15 pm

so there is a hole on top of this thing. it looks factory but gas comes out of it occasionally. I dont think it serves a purpose so id like to seal it up. also does anyone know what kind of carb this is? whats up with this carb? Img_8811whats up with this carb? Img_8812there is a whole lot of numbers on this thing
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

whats up with this carb? Empty Re: whats up with this carb?

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:20 pm

needle & seat stuck open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kit the carb & look 4 bad rubber fuel lines also or trash in system/tank affraid
    thatcherworks
    thatcherworks

Post by thatcherworks Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:34 pm

?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:18 pm

That is my favorite carburetor,,,,,a Carter YF,,,,,that is the bowl vent,,,,there should be a screw and a fiber washer under that hole,,,,,blocks the hole off when you step on the gas,,,,the gas level should be about 1/2" below the fuel line,,,,if it gets up that high when running, the carb is flooding out,,,,,needle and seat not shutting off gas at the proper level or float sinking,,,,,,,the carb number is facing the drivers seat,,,,,at the bottom of the bowl,,,,something like 4371,,,,,
    66BC
    66BC

Number of posts : 159
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Post by 66BC Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:24 pm

So, looks like you got one of a couple different stock carbs for our inline six cylinder engines. This is a 1bbl Yf carburetor. Probably YF 4375s or 4376s. I have a similar carb on mine but I recently messed up the threads on the fuel inlet...a whole other story. The hole on top I've never messed with that I can remember but there should be a screw hiding in there. I believe its to adjust the float from the outside...but I dont quite remember. Get a kit and rebuild that thing. You'll do it a lot of justice. Plus I'm sure the kit instructions will tell you what that hole and screw are for. When I went to rebuild mine it was a smooth difference. The float adjustment is important.
    ...oh just saw donivan beat me to it. There you go.
    -66BeachCruiser
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:43 pm

whats up with this carb? Repair29
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:46 pm

Hey 66--- they probably make a repair fitting for that inlet in case you messed up the threads in the carb,,,,it cuts new threads,,,,
    66BC
    66BC

Post by 66BC Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:34 pm

Hey Donivan,

Yup, I messed up the threads in the carb. KookyKrispy had recommended me this link for an Extended Thread Inlet fitting. http://quadrajetparts.com/rochester-quadrajet-parts-quadrajet-inlet-fittings-650-extended-thread-inlet-fitting-p-482.html

I haven't ordered any fitting yet. I was hoping to find something local first.
    Would that be the same thing you're talking about or is their a fix to the housing?

-66BeachCruiser
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:34 pm

I am not liking that fitting at all,,,,it says it is just a longer one and check to see that you have enough threads in your carb for the fitting to fit,,,it looks like there are about 12 threads on the fitting,,,the carb has about 6,,,,,I think finding a 7/8" version fitting of this from Napa or Carquest might be better,,,,which YF do you have?

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=CRB275_0006521244

whats up with this carb? Yf_ven10
    66BC
    66BC

Post by 66BC Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:41 pm

Thatcherworks, Here's a picture of a diagram of when I rebuilt mine. Just to have another glimpse of its components. That component with the spring on Donivans picture is the pump diaphragm assembly. Vent seems to be right next to it. Can't see that on the diagram though.

whats up with this carb? Carbparts1

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:42 pm

66BC
    66BC

Post by 66BC Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:43 pm

This one is mine. Well, seems like I got the high bowl vent.

whats up with this carb? 6187e513-d1bb-4983-bea3-12ca796190b1

I don't seem to have the know how to post the proper size pictures here. If the picture is visible you can see the threads that are messed up and the good threads remaining.

Last edited by 66BC on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:03 am; edited 3 times in total
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:50 pm

Nice mixture screw,,,,,RESIZE your pictures to 640 right after you choose it,,,,but look at the bowl vents,,,,there are 2 types,,,,might have an air horn in case you screwed up yours or tried putting that longer one in and split the housing wide open,,,,,
    66BC
    66BC

Post by 66BC Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:06 am

Donivan, you brought me a smile with that autozone link Smile Now that does look more promising. Can't wait to give that a try. Will try tomorrow I hope and check in to tell results. Resized my carb picture and I hope to resize that diagram also.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:13 am

Nice bowl vent now,,,it is the high type,,,,,It definitely needs to be a 7/8" one,,,,and 5/16" inlet,,,,,but we can make a 3/8" one work if we have to,,,,,,,
    thatcherworks
    thatcherworks

Post by thatcherworks Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:01 am

you guys are great. thanks! Im planning on building a cold air intake for this puppy and noticed the hole when i was checking for clearances. it only leaks when starting occasionally but thats not very safe so i will rebuild it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:05 pm

But where is your bowl vent adjusting screw???? is it just cranked way down or laying in the bowl,,,,,but a person could just take a screw,,,,put a plastic or fiber washer on it,,,,use a ball point pen spring to hold that washer up,,,,,so it blocks the hole,,,,,BUT it does not close the hole off at idle,,,,,it has to be a little open at idle,,,like enough for ants to crawl in,,,,,or 1/16" if you want to get technical.....
    thatcherworks
    thatcherworks

Post by thatcherworks Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:52 pm

so i looked and its in there. I think its just cranked down. i also found the numbers for the thing. they were on the drivers side with not a lot of viewing room. its a 4368s
    66BC
    66BC

Post by 66BC Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:37 am

Since its the same carb lets continue here on the carb threading fix.

So the autozone Self-tappping carburetor fittings were purchased. They are the right size for this carburetor. In the descriptions it says it is an assortment of 5/16 and 3/8. It is really a pack of two carb fittings of those sizes. These are not in store and are a special order item. I ordered them on Wednesday and got them after work Friday.

It says to apply a light lubricant to the threads. I used household oil. Next it says to insert the fitting into the hole by turning it by hand. With a wrench, set slowly 1/2 turn and then move back 1/4 turn. Continue until it is fully seated. You have to slowly unscrew it back out and then clean up the threads and reistall again with filter, spring, and gasket.

Everything seems tight. The gasket seemed a bit bigger so hope that doesn't leak. So if you need this fix, this seems to be the process. I just need to re-install the carb and test to make sure it doesn't leak. It is really tight on there. (When I ruined my threads in the carb the original fuel fitting never tightened and just kept spinning.)So far, about a five or six dollar fix. (Although after I ruined the threads on this carb I went ahead and ordered some used ebay carbs to play with...including a couple of 2bbls Smile, but that will be another story/post. Can't wait for that).

These are the self tapping fittings. 5/16 inlet installed
    whats up with this carb? 00dc589a-1427-4a5d-9128-5d4a003e9d38

This is one of the new self tapping fittings compared to the original one. The fix one is longer. Package for carb fittings in the background

whats up with this carb? 5308f54a-b48d-4bd7-b19a-33838d014c92
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:22 am

That 3/8" fitting is for the 8 cylinders,,,,, however,,,,,,they do make reducer fittings that will allow a person to use it on the stock 5/16" fuel line,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 6:49 pm