VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
donivan65
Twinpilot001
Drew Peacock
7 posters

Timing question

Drew Peacock
    Drew Peacock

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2012-08-21

Timing question Empty Timing question

Post by Drew Peacock Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:50 am

I recently reinstalled my dist. I brought number one up on TDC, installed the dist with teh rotor pointing toward teh number one spark plug, fired teh engine up and timed at 10 BTDC. The van runs, starts accelerats fine but the engine rocks and shudders at stops after it gets warm. On a hunch, I kept advancing the dist and teh roughness went almost away. I looked ta teh timing and i was at 33 BTD. The van accelerated great and was fine on the highway. Why is this? The van supposedly only has 5500 miles on it (3300 i put on). Is it possible im doing something wrong?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Timing question Empty Re: Timing question

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:07 am

verify 1st!!=you have the # 1 spark plug wire on timing light wire to verify?? is the timing light the type that has advance adjustable?/ re check - set to tdc or 0 if it is? Its very easily to make a mistake & hook the timing lite to another wire thinking u have selected # 1 . Other possibilitys are= Timing dampner has moved- bad dampaner / marks??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:12 am

Are you setting the timing with the vacuum advance disconnected? Do you have a Loadamatic Distributor?
    Drew Peacock
    Drew Peacock

Post by Drew Peacock Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:18 am

it is a load o matic. I have teh light hooked to the number one wire for sure. the light has teh option to set the number you want for tdc on it. So when i set the little dial to 10, when the light flashes, it lines up with 0.if you set the dial to 0, the light functions like a basic light and you just look at the notch on the dampner vs the cast in marks on teh block. i pulled teh dist and i felt teh piston come up on comp and physically felt teh piston at the top of the stroke with a screw driver.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:02 pm

sounds like ur doing it correctly -just make sure the timing lite is set on 0 to get the actual timing & recheck it.and again- no vac advance hooked up & @ idle also.
    Drew Peacock
    Drew Peacock

Post by Drew Peacock Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:47 pm

i just redid the whole process and pulled the dist and retimed completely. This only happened when i installed the pertronix unit. I am getting 2v right from the battery too. As soon as i get on the gas at a light and the revs increase and the until comes under load at regular acceleration, the van is just fine. At idle the gas pedal actuall moved and slaps back and forth as does the engine. Its an extremely rough idle
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Check out the vacuum gauge post in the how it's done section. Excellent post BTW. Old balancer marks can't be trusted as they can twist, after 50 years. Tune your engine for what it wants, not what a chart tells you. Also, you will have different factors to deal with, like altitude and crappy gas. I haven't used a timing light in 35 years!
    gearheadflicks
    gearheadflicks

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2012-04-19

Post by gearheadflicks Wed May 28, 2014 10:00 pm

How do I find TDC if I can't find any marks on the pulley or mark on block...   I'm new at this scratch scratch scratch 

1964 170ci
    FCC
    FCC

Number of posts : 295
    Registration date : 2014-04-29

Post by FCC Thu May 29, 2014 7:06 am

I am new as well.  As in, 2 weeks new.  ..but in theory, both rockers on cylinder #1 should be off their lobes and loose.  
    From what I am seeing, you should be able to then reach down and feel the pulley (if you can't see with your eyes) for marks at the timing indicator on the cover.  If not, you can rotate the motor 180 degrees and look for the marks.  TDC should turn up eventually.  (Adjust  your valves while you're in there.. the '64 vans with the 170 are considered HD and have mechanical lifters.)

Just found this interesting link.  Maybe its in here somewhere.  

http://archive.org/stream/Fix-Your_Ford_/Fix-Your_Ford__djvu.txt
    gearheadflicks
    gearheadflicks

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2012-04-19

Post by gearheadflicks Thu May 29, 2014 8:44 am

THANK YOU!
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Thu May 29, 2014 12:56 pm

The easiest and surest way to find TDC on the compression stroke is to pull the #1 spark plug and put your finger in the hole while rotating the engine(in it's normal direction) until your finger pops out. This will not find absolute TDC but is accurate enough to drop the dist. in and get the motor started and adjust from there.

But if the engine is already timed and the dist is in but you simply need to remove it for some reason like installing the pertronix, all you need to do is simply mark the center of the rotor's position on the rim of the alternator with the cap off, no need to find TDC. Just reinstall it with those marks lined up and DON'T ROTATE THE MOTOR WHILE IT IS OUT Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:44 am