VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
dix
RodStRace
millwright71
7 posters

Transmission bushing

millwright71
    millwright71

Number of posts : 531
    Registration date : 2012-05-28

Transmission bushing Empty Transmission bushing

Post by millwright71 Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Can anyone tell me what they used to replace the original mount bushing on their manual trans? Mine is out and will need replaced before I put it back in.

Tom
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Transmission bushing Empty Re: Transmission bushing

Post by RodStRace Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:29 am

I haven't done it, but have read that there is a Chevy truck suspension bushing that you can get in urethane and cut down to fit. Cheap and readily available. I don't have the number handy.
    Some places still have OE rubber bushings too. You just have to search... not cheap...

EDIT from the Yahoo group...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottie8door/5341582338/in/set-72157625788359528/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottie8door/5340910545/in/set-72157625788359528
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottie8door/5341650684/in/set-72157625788359528
    millwright71
    millwright71

Transmission bushing Empty Bushing

Post by millwright71 Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:30 pm

I did a search on here and found someone using that bushing for an automatic. I wasn't sure if there were any differences in the two. I will order those shackle bushings and if they are correct, I will have three more for others doing the same thing. Thanks alot for the info.

Tom
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:12 pm

That's it Rod. millwright the post you read was most likley mine. follow the steps on the photo's the bushing works great. Once you remove the oud bushing buy a wire wheel that will fit on your drill and clean the hole out well. then after the bushing is cut and apply some oil then use a long bolt or allthred and a nut and washer to draw the bushing in to place.It's fairly simple 1/2 hour job.

Post by millwright71 Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Thanks alot guys, hoping to get this thing done for the nationals next year.

Tom
    rebar
    rebar

Number of posts : 151
    Registration date : 2012-10-31

Post by rebar Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:10 pm

Don't know if it's the same, but for my automatic I used a rubber sanding drum - the kind you use in a drill or drill press. Been working pretty good for a few years now.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148

Post by jkr Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:52 pm

most of the o-e bushings had a steel band on the outside. some of the replacements don't. i got one from a guy in Pa several years ago and it was just the rubber with a sleeve for the bolt. it worked but if you removed the original band from the housing it would have been to small for the hole and quite loose. as it was i used 2 pieces of flat plate and the threaded rod to draw the bushing into place. it works but should i have to do it again i would obtain a close in size bushing like rod mentioned and machine a sleeve to fit the bushing and the transmission loop. remember all the weight of your transmission hangs on it.
    rebar
    rebar

Post by rebar Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:24 am

I could be wrong but while I could see the hardness of urethane bushings being a plus for leaf springs I would imagine a rubber trans bushing would be more forgiving of engine vibration and torque. Just guessing.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148

Post by jkr Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:59 am

and you are correct. there are several bushings from mother chrysler for suspension parts that are close in size that could work. front suspension, rear lower control arm bushings from neon/pt cruiser. a lot of bushings on calibers are close but would have to be narrowed. the chrysler cars,challenger, 300, charger front suspension have a good selection as well. it would take some time and figuring out but theres one out there to fit the hole. the chev cobalt lower control arm bushing would be very close in size as well but it's a chebby part.!!! a couple hours at a salvage yard with a dial caliper and would get it done.
    rebar
    rebar

Post by rebar Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:52 am

I may be missing something but I believe the rotational tension of leaf springs runs longitudinal to the bushing axes while the rotational torque of the engine seems to run transverse to the trans mount axis. I would think that the inflexibility of a high density bushing might create extra stress on related parts such as U-joints, mounting bolts, etc, and cause vibrations to resonate. And if not, particularly with an automatic, then why have a trans bushing at all? Just wondering.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:59 am

Well we offered what we are using and does fit . if any one finds something else then please let us know. i've run mine for 4 years and scottie has 6 years on his. with no problems...

Post by rebar Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:18 pm

Wasn't being critical, just stating thoughts that came to mind. I think any/all ideas/improvisations need to be explored and if what you've done works for you, then that's a good thing.

Last edited by rebar on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
    millwright71
    millwright71

Post by millwright71 Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:43 pm

I like the urethane bushing idea myself. The old rubber one I pulled was distorted quite badly. I have run urethane transmission mounts on a 700R4 automatic before with no vibration trouble. I will let everyone know how I feel about this one next spring when she becomes my daily driver again.

Tom
    Henrik
    Henrik

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2010-11-26

Transmission bushing Empty bushings

Post by Henrik Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:18 am

here some pics from the bushings i got for my pickup:

Transmission bushing 13012010

Transmission bushing 20012010

Transmission bushing 21122010

Transmission bushing 21122011

Transmission bushing 23012010
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:38 am

go back to rod's post. if you want rubber then order the same bushing in rubber.

Post by rebar Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:07 am

I agree. Never particularly liked the distorting rubber but couldn't find the bushing anywhere and used a 1/4" thick brass tube for the inner sleeve of the drum which has worked fine for a while. I was concerned that the urethane might be too rigid but apparently it's not.
    gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 474
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

Transmission bushing Empty transmission bushing

Post by gary h Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:49 pm

The part # for a black urethane bushing kit is #7-804.I got this kit last spring and modified it to fit my '68 A-100 P/u, A/T.It did the job although i would prefer Rubber.I hear more noise (whine) from the tranny that i did not hear before W/Rubber bushing.Note some trans.mounts may have differant sizes of bushings and some mounts do not remove from the trans.You will get 4 bushings and 2 sleeves w/kit and all need trimming.I have extra bushings and sleeve i will sell for short money.PM me if interested.
    gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 474
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

Transmission bushing Empty Trans.Mount Bushing

Post by gary h Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:14 pm

I still have a couple left.Please check Parts For Sale section of our forum,Thanks

Last edited by gary h on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:39 pm

Gary post it under parts for sale

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:16 pm

I'll reserrect this topic to keep it going. I bought one of the urathane bushings from Gary h earlier this year and just got around to installing mine today. I didn't understand what was meant by cutting here as in this pic. http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottie8door/5341650684/in/set-72157625788359528  I just took it to a grinder to it and made it flush with the rest of the bushing and installed it, hammering half of it in then pressed the rest. Even though it does stick out about 1/4" on one side it fits into the body mount and drives fine. After finishing the job I realized that I have a piece of exhaust pipe, so at a later date I'll redo it so that it's equal on each side. So I see no reason that you need to cut it off just press it in so it's equal on each side for added stability. It really tightened things up and changed the drivability of the vehicle.cheers
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:35 pm

I'M running the same thing and have a few for sale for $10.00 ea. allready cut...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:31 pm