VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Transmission Hanger Bushing - Rubber Install

busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Transmission Hanger Bushing - Rubber Install Empty Transmission Hanger Bushing - Rubber Install

Post by busman78 Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:35 pm

Read all the old posts about changing out the transmission hanger bushing, using the Chevy C10 Polyurethane or Prothane rear spring shackle bushing, which does fit without removing the metal sleeve, but has two very serious drawbacks, Polyurethane is hard, transfers vibration, Chevy shackle bolts are 9/16" and our hanger bolts are 1/2", either one or both combined create a lot of noise. The Poly's are either Prothane 7-804 or Energy Suspension 4-2153.

I did the Polyurethane on my A108, very noisy, since the engine had to come out for a head gasket change it was time to do something about the trans hanger bushing.

Picked up a rubber bushing from ESPO Springs 'n Things, 1-7/8 x 1-1/14, it has a 1/2" metal insert, part number MM-2003, about $8. The metal sleeve from the original hanger bushing has to be removed, this is easy, did it with a hack saw, sawed level when cut through the sleeve will bind on the blade, only slight nicks in the aluminum. The new rubber bushing is a press fit, will hammer in, about the same tension as the Polyurethane bushing was. Not tested yet but the rubber should not transfer the amount of noise the Poly did.

Picture of Poly installed - it fits but too hard and bolt insert is to big
    Transmission Hanger Bushing - Rubber Install Img_0310

Sleeve out and cut
    Transmission Hanger Bushing - Rubber Install Trans_10
    Transmission Hanger Bushing - Rubber Install Trans_11

New rubber bushing
    Transmission Hanger Bushing - Rubber Install Trans_13

New bushing installed, perfect press fit no trimming needed
    Transmission Hanger Bushing - Rubber Install Trans_14

Old Poly compared to new rubber
    Transmission Hanger Bushing - Rubber Install Trans_12

Last edited by busman78 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
    68bigblock
    68bigblock

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2016-03-19

Transmission Hanger Bushing - Rubber Install Empty Re: Transmission Hanger Bushing - Rubber Install

Post by 68bigblock Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:16 pm

Looks good and perfect timing i was just looking at mine and wondering where to get one of those bushings

Transmission Hanger Bushing - Rubber Install Empty Re: Transmission Hanger Bushing - Rubber Install

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:53 am

I notice no difference between rubber and Poly on mine. I don't know where people come up with this vibe thing between rubber and poly?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 pm