VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+29
VanninBlaino
SuperJason
Axlejack
Gothboy
rebar
gotavan
Stoopid john
southern man
Barnabas
wildbillinva
itruns
NoBiggie
Space Truckin
austinmodhouse
Vanner63
Digz
MikeShums
Hellfish
kgdb
dix
Big W
vanny
chester42
RodStRace
DanTheVanMan
bensbus
dodge man
Twinpilot001
scarlin
33 posters

first gen crash safety help please

Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

first gen crash safety help please - Page 4 Empty Re: first gen crash safety help please

Post by Gothboy Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:46 am

I think one of the saving graces of our vans is that they ride a little higher than most cars. That's a big plus if you analyze it. In a front ender I want to go over he other car not be part of the collateral damage.
    Axlejack
    Axlejack

Number of posts : 49
    Registration date : 2012-11-22

first gen crash safety help please - Page 4 Empty Re: first gen crash safety help please

Post by Axlejack Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:43 pm

People are driving these all over the place and are they not more dangerous than our old vans? I would definitely say yes.

first gen crash safety help please - Page 4 Bad976
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Yup...there it is...a "Smart coffin". Wouldn't be caught dead in one. A few ideas have come up so far in this post. just have to do your best and hope the other drivers are paying attention. And that goes for just about anything you drive on the road today.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:52 am

WHAT?? ME=Worry?? This is a test=who said that?? no one over 55 ages can answer!! hehe =Driving an early van is exactly like when i flew cargo twin engine airplanes!! Full of stuff behind my seat-like 4-5 tons!! If i ever crashed?? hehe +Where would all that stuff likely go =UP??? My =?? What ?? Me Worry?? Who said that??
    affraid cheers
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:03 pm

Are you MAD??? Alfred E. Newman

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:23 pm

ur the =winner - took all day to answer that one!! =Yea!!!!!!!!!!! affraid
    rebar
    rebar

Number of posts : 151
    Registration date : 2012-10-31

Post by rebar Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:40 pm

On the A100 the throttle pedal is about 3" lower than the brake pedal. Didn't like having to lift my entire leg up and over to step on the brake.

Took a 2x4 x 8" long (actual measurement – 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 8"). Cut the wood down to 2" wide. Cut that piece into a wedge shape so that one end was 2" wide by 1-1/2" thick and the other end was 2" wide by 1/8" thick. Attached the wedge to the throttle pedal via duct tape. Wasn't quite thick enough so attached a piece of 2" x 8" x ½" thick plywood on top of the wedge (via duct tape).

No longer concerned about not lifting my leg high enough and getting the side of my foot hung-up on the side of the brake pedal. The throttle-to-brake pedal transition is much smoother since it requires merely pivoting the foot back and forth on the heel, rather than lifting the whole leg. I would say that the response time has been cut in half. That might not seem like much, but split seconds have been known to determine life or death. The throttle pedal might not look very attractive, but neither are head-on collisions
    SuperJason
    SuperJason

Number of posts : 95
    Registration date : 2011-10-03

Post by SuperJason Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:28 am

For those that haven't seen it, there's a crash test video of a 2009 Malibu vs a 1959 Bel Air.

I understand the safety concerns. Older cars are not as safe as modern cars. Heck, my 2007 VW isn't as safe as a 2012 model. I imagine that 20 years from now the 2012 models will be considered unsafe.

One of my safety concerns in my van, that has not been addressed much here, is the proximity of my head to a very hard b-pillar. I feel like any side impact will give me a very significant bump on the noggin. When I finish my interior, I plan to put some substantial padding in this area. I would also be more concerned about rear impact if I did not have high back seats.

I oddly am not as concerned about leg safety and frontal impacts. I think this is because any front impact will most likely be a low-speed rear-ender with a modern car. And that modern car will have modern crumple zones that will protect my van in addition to its own passengers. I won't go as far to say that I'm relying on others for my own safety, but knowing that the Honda Accord in in front of me has a big crumple zone is somewhat comforting. Hitting something like a 1970 Chrysler Newport or an old oak tree doesn't give me the same comfortable feeling.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Maybe ??=im just from another school or time?? I cannot understand why anyone would be concerned with "Crash Safety" in any of our Old Vans?? There is no way we can ever improve that to any extent!! Maybe only a 4 point seat belt setup>? I get curious as to how many of us that are concerned about this topic have ever ridden a motorcycle or still do?? I definately know that Helmit will save my life after a beer truck runs over my body or I hit a telephone pole with my neck after the old fool pulled in front of my Bike!! Only thing I dont want to have happen is my head go thru that windshield on my old van!! I am one of the "Dooers" not a "Worrier" about Doing!! cheers If youre into the van - drive it & enjoy all. Happy Vannin!!
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:34 pm

I agree with TwinPilot, there's only so much you can do. Do what you feel comfortable with and try to drive safely. When your time has come, it's destiny. Or maybe you could try to cushion the blow this way... first gen crash safety help please - Page 4 Mutt_c10

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Hey! I like that one - can we name it the "Scoobey Doo Too??" bounce
    VanninBlaino
    VanninBlaino

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-05-30

Post by VanninBlaino Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:08 pm

SuperJason wrote:For those that haven't seen it, there's a crash test video of a 2009 Malibu vs a 1959 Bel Air.

I understand the safety concerns. Older cars are not as safe as modern cars. Heck, my 2007 VW isn't as safe as a 2012 model. I imagine that 20 years from now the 2012 models will be considered unsafe.

One of my safety concerns in my van, that has not been addressed much here, is the proximity of my head to a very hard b-pillar. I feel like any side impact will give me a very significant bump on the noggin. When I finish my interior, I plan to put some substantial padding in this area. I would also be more concerned about rear impact if I did not have high back seats.

I oddly am not as concerned about leg safety and frontal impacts. I think this is because any front impact will most likely be a low-speed rear-ender with a modern car. And that modern car will have modern crumple zones that will protect my van in addition to its own passengers. I won't go as far to say that I'm relying on others for my own safety, but knowing that the Honda Accord in in front of me has a big crumple zone is somewhat comforting. Hitting something like a 1970 Chrysler Newport or an old oak tree doesn't give me the same comfortable feeling.

That '59 looked so nice..
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:00 pm

I am planning on racing my pick up and safety is something I am concerned about. Running a 1/4 mile all out I want to be as safe as possible.
    I am going with a 5 point NHRA approved seatbelt and a 6 point roll cage with a bar running just under the dash running from one side to the other.
    I think I would have done the roll cage even without racing it on the track. I think for the cost of the cage it is well worth the protection. I think all cars should have them from the factory. I have see funnycars crash at over 200 mph and guys walk away. So I figure for the money you can't go wrong.
    rebar
    rebar

Number of posts : 151
    Registration date : 2012-10-31

Post by rebar Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Been riding a mc with a helmet and the headlight on since way before it became a law, because I believe it to be safer that way. Installed headrest seats and 3 point belts in the van and strongly considering discs, for the same reason. Don't see the harm in increasing the odds.
    bensbus
    bensbus

Number of posts : 171
    Registration date : 2012-09-23

first gen crash safety help please - Page 4 Empty 1964 Chevy van internal service brochure

Post by bensbus Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Here is an original 1964 brochure telling about the double wall construction of the Chevy van front nose area "for replacement in major front end damage"...so that the outer skin could be replaced independent of the inner skin in the event of a front end collision:

first gen crash safety help please - Page 4 1964-c14
    thunderbirdesq
    thunderbirdesq

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2012-11-08

Post by thunderbirdesq Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:36 pm

Here's some real world experience on the subject for you fellas! Wink

A few weeks back I slid on some black ice in my raggedy old '66, flew airborne sideways off a 25 ft embankment, landed nose down in the drainage ditch, blew the windshield out and both front doors open, then rolled it once and came to rest on the roof. Lap belts did their job, we were a bit sore for a week or so and I chipped a tooth when a wrench that escaped my tool box hit me in the mouth, no major injuries luckily. WEAR YOUR SEAT BELTS! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

first gen crash safety help please - Page 4 255168_451490844909888_1512480832_n

first gen crash safety help please - Page 4 558804_451491444909828_1569062026_n
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Sad!! whats the tread depth on those tires??? affraid
    thunderbirdesq
    thunderbirdesq

Post by thunderbirdesq Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Uh, not enough? haha!

Not as sad as it could have been. Luckily, the body of this van was pretty well shot (LOTS of bondo and POOR previous repairs throughout) All the engine/drivetrain/brakes/steering had been rebuilt so I found a nice pickup body and am now in the process of swapping everything over.
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Glad to hear no one was seriously injured. Also glad to hear you're recycling what you can and getting right back to it.

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:55 pm

thunderbirdesq, great to see you here!
    Guys, if you have seen his Sedan into a Coupe build (on the HAMB), you know this guy can fix stuff!
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:55 pm

Wow, glad your ok, my guts are turning just thinking of that...How fast do you think you were going when you left the road?
    thunderbirdesq
    thunderbirdesq

Post by thunderbirdesq Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:05 pm

Thanks guys!

Hi Rod! Thanks much!

John, probably about 50mph, we weren't expecting any bad weather, but it was pretty early in the AM (barely cold enough for ice...) and there was just a dusting of snow so we were taking it pretty easy.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Glad to see you made it out of that in one piece. Soooo... technically, can we say then that you had a head on collision with the ditch at 50 mph. If so that van came out not to bad. Little flat on the bottom...but not bad for what it went through. But ya no I've heard stories from my uncle the fireman..."it wasn't the crash that killed him, it was the spare tire that flew forward from the back of the van". Seat belts can only do so much if your sh#t ain't tied down. But again glad to see your still in one piece.
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Years ago, a member of my VC had a "Drink Tray" which was not bolted down, fly up and break his jaw in a crash! We really need things bolted down in these Vans! His bed broke lose and flew forward as well! After his accident...I redid my interior with "Safety" in mind. All cabinets were designed to "Stow" everything safely! The "Glass" mirrors over the bed...came down! I did not want ANYTHING flying forward into the cab!!!!!
    thunderbirdesq
    thunderbirdesq

Post by thunderbirdesq Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:20 am

Yep, I guess you could consider it a head on collision. The impact buckled the front of the subframe and push the floor up a few inches. I'm just glad the floor jack and spare tire I had in the back did not make it into the passenger compartment!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:03 am