VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
wylee
Nightmoves
Sy Hollinshead
m1dadio
G-Man
61econoline
richie61
11 posters

Safety First

richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Safety First Empty Safety First

Post by richie61 Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:48 pm

While helping my friend change his rear brake cylinders last Friday night I used a pair of channel locks to put the brake springs on with and bam.....they slipped. I baciscally punched myself in the eye with my fist and the end of the pliers, brakeing my glasses and sending a piece of the lens into my eye. After 2 hours of surgery and 22 stitches to my eyeball I can see light and blurry shapes because of the blood in the eyeball. I am praying with time it will get better. They can repair a lot of parts in the eyes these days so we'll wait and see.

Instead of waiting for my friend and the tool, i used the pliers. I learned the hard way that my glasses ain't safety goggles. If I had safety googles on would the damage be less? Who knows but I seem to always learn the hard way and will be useing them from this point on. I guess what I'm trying to say is safety first, use the right tool and don't be stupid like I was. Today is the first day without the eye patch and it's hard to focus even with the good eye, so one day at a time.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Safety First Empty Re: Safety First

Post by 61econoline Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:27 pm

yea i learn the hard way too had a run in with a piece of wire off of a wire wheel last spring,could of lost an eye lucky for me all i lost was some hefty eye doctors fees.Always wear safty glasses now.Hope you heal 100%
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:36 pm

sorry to hear you were hurt , best wishes on a full recovery
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-07

Post by m1dadio Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:39 pm

Wow thats a harsh story, gives me the gitters cuz I have patched up many guys with such injuries and carted them off to the hospital. I still wear a chunk of steel from a chissle in my eye lid.

Hope you heal well easily and soon.

it sudenly makes the right tool look alot cheeper dosn't it. Its been just that same kind of lessons that caused me to own the 30+ grand in hand tools I now use.
    The guy who runs the parts department at my work slipped with a screw drive doing the very same thing years ago, he lost his eye, says he would give 50 grand to have his eye back

take it easy and nurse that eye, its piceless

M1D
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:31 am

I use safety glasses for everything now, since i had the snapped end of a drill bit inbedded in my skull right in my forehead. About 2 inches over my right eye....!! Certainly makes you think.
    Hope you recover fully mate...!!
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:23 am

Dang Ritchie,man,hate to hear that.Hope ya get better soon.I reckon at one time or another we've all had bad a experience of that kind.God only give us two eyes.It only takes about 3 seconds to put on safety glasses,& a 1/4 second to loose one.
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:14 am

Thanks guys, Like Moe said it takes 2 seconds to put on safety goggles.

M!D, As a kid, I watched my father repair his cars with the wrong tools because he couldn't afford the right ones. He was lucky and never got hurt. I should of know better.

I'll keep you updated.
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:19 am

seems the older we get the smater. ive fallen to the same thing, rear brakes needlenose pylers, gash in head. this how we learn. school of hard knocks. get well soon............
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:00 am

I've had about everything mentioned stickin out of me at sometime or another including stone chips, Its so easy to not take that second to gear up.
    PPE Get It On ! Hope ya heal up okay Rich !
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:03 pm

Holy crap! Get well soon! I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

This is a good reminded. I try to remember to wear safety goggles, but sometimes skip it, just out of stupid convenience. We all need to be dilligent and put safety first! I will wear goggles every time from now on. It is a good promise to try and keep!
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:30 am

Hope you get better soon!

Eye pain is the post severe pain Ive ever felt. After many many years a working in the skilled trades and mechanic'ing I finally injured my eye one day working in my own basement. A small piece of concrete dust scratched my eyeball, add in the lime burn and I was bedridden for a week on pain killers.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:50 am

Ouch! Ive had several eye injuries over the years. The last one a freak one I was wearing safty glasses. Now I have a face shield to put over my glasses and face. I still live with ocasional eye pain and the injury was four years ago.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:59 am