VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

First post and a couple of questions!

68G10
    68G10

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2012-09-25

First post and a couple of questions! Empty First post and a couple of questions!

Post by 68G10 Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:44 pm

Hey everyone, what an AWESOME forum this is. I've been reading lots of threads lately, but this is my first post. I'll post some pictures of my '68 G van as soon as I can but for now I can tell ya that its a Sportvan90 that I purchased a few months ago and have driven every day since. I'm in the process of making some upgrades like a roller 350 with TBI with a 700r4 followed closely by front discs and front ad rear sways, as well as fixing what needs fixing, like the front grill which was in a fender bender. I cut the grill off of a rusted out 108 deluxe at the yard and I'm getting ready to swap it out.

In my repairs, I've run into a couple of stumbling blocks.

This brings me to my first question. I desperately need leaf spring and shackle bushings, but in all of my searching, I cant find part numbers for 2ND GEN vans, only 1st... Does anyone have them?

Also, I have a peculiar problem with my alignment. Everything drives great, but both front and rear wheels on my passenger side are 5/16" further forward than the wheels on the drivers side. Both sides measure 90.5" axle to axle. The frame is true and there are no signs of the body being tweaked. The axles are simply mounted to the passenger side leafs 5/16" closer to the front leaf spring mount than on the drivers side. How can I correct this, my pass front wheel is pretty close to the front wheel arch when I begin a left turn.

That's it for the moment. Thanks and again, sweet site!

Peace,
    Brian
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

First post and a couple of questions! Empty Re: First post and a couple of questions!

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:12 pm

Each shackle takes 4 of these HB 930 bushings,,,,so drill down to Bushings, Harris and find the HB 930's

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/bushings/rubber-leaf-spring-bushings
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

First post and a couple of questions! Empty Re: First post and a couple of questions!

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:22 pm

IF,,,,you think your wheelbase has changed,,,,,maybe someone put a wrong spring on it at one time,,,,,maybe the center pin bolt broke and the u bolts let the axle move,,,,,measure the distance from the center bolt to like the front bolt,,,,,see if the fronts are the same,,,,I am just saying that if the tops of the center bolt to front bolt are the same the spring is probably the right one, HOWEVER,,,,that bolt could be broken inside the spring and when it comes out of the spring and into the axle, that would cause the axle to shift,,,,you can just remove those 2 u bolts and see if you can find something wrong,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:36 pm

The front bushings on each of your springs are metal cartridges, but we have been putting in these poly urethane ones with sleeves in them,,,,,see if you have stock springs and the bushings are these sizes ,,,,,I went and put this kit together at a Spring Shop by me,,,so they know that if you ask them for Don's North Carolina Bushing Kit, you get a kit that fits the 2nd Gen front bushings,,,,,and you get the shackle bushings at the other place,,,,they may have them here,,,,but they cost more....

First post and a couple of questions! North_10
    68G10
    68G10

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2012-09-25

Post by 68G10 Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:59 pm

WOW that was fast! Thanks a bunch! This van is my daily and im moving to a house with a bumpy dirt drive. Suspension just became an even bigger priority. I figure I'll get all my bushings swapped and then ill remeasure the axles and see what I can do to correct the alignment thing. The van drives awesome. My only worry is the proximity of the tire to the body between the wheel arch and the passenger door.

Is the wheel base supposed to be 90" on the dot? If so, then in addition to my pass side wheels being forward, my whole front axle is 1/2" forward, meaning that my pass front wheel and tire are as much as 13/16" too far forward! That's a bunch...

Peace,
    Brian

P/S : ordering bushings tomorrow. They just press in by hand right?
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:05 pm

Welcome to the site 68G10

The 2nd gen 90" sport is my most favorite van

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Hey Michel,,,,Don't let your 1st Gen hear you say that,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:43 am