VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
Casimier
Hellfish
jrinaman
HandiVanMan
dix
deviantjeff
mothradeath
11 posters

save this guy from the scrapper yesterday. now what?

mothradeath
    mothradeath

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2009-06-17

save this guy from the scrapper yesterday. now what? Empty save this guy from the scrapper yesterday. now what?

Post by mothradeath Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:40 am

buddy of mine calls and said "i think my neighbor has one of those wierd vans like you have and hes going to send it to the scrapper if you want parts." well, no thank you i dont want parts....i want the whole damn think. this guy had a freaking mecca of vintage steel in his field that was left to him from his father after he passed. probably 20 or 30 hudsons where what really stood out. no titles for anything and rather than going through any hassel of selling them out hes cutting them up and scrapping them. grrrr. anyways...what are my options in legally making an untitled vehicle mine? this dude wants nothing to do with helping me but shes mine now and not the scrappers. what can i do? i have a title for a 64 i used to have but somebody took the doors i had set out to the scrapper if that could have been an option. give me your opinions. thanks.
    save this guy from the scrapper yesterday. now what? 476607_3316203420063_329604306_o
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

save this guy from the scrapper yesterday. now what? Empty Re: save this guy from the scrapper yesterday. now what?

Post by mothradeath Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:41 am

eek. that came out big. right click view image to see it all. sorry.
    deviantjeff
    deviantjeff

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2010-07-08

save this guy from the scrapper yesterday. now what? Empty Re: save this guy from the scrapper yesterday. now what?

Post by deviantjeff Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:13 am

well you already have a low one. i vote for rediculously high 4x4
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:38 am

Each state is differnt but I'd talk with ohio department of motor vehicles and do it correct, so it can't bite you in the ass later. this has become more common than you may think...

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:33 am

I would most defiantly register it before I put any time or money into it. Down here in ga a title is not required for a vehicle 1985 & older & all that is required to register one is a bill of sale. Maybe ohio might be similar so I would check with them. Also down here in ga a title bond through an insurance company can be bought on a vehicle to. It has to be ran for any liens & to make sure it is not stolen & if everything comes back clean on it a title bond can be bought on it.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:40 pm

broadway title. did this years ago. or simply have a member in another state write a bill of sale, title it and sell it to you. any chevys over there? y-town is close, was there yestarday.
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Post by mothradeath Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:10 pm

No other vans at this guys place. There's a guy in nearby west Middlesex pa selling a restored first gen gmc panel for $3800.
    Hellfish

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Post by Hellfish Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:02 am

jrinaman wrote:broadway title. did this years ago. or simply have a member in another state write a bill of sale, title it and sell it to you. any chevys over there? y-town is close, was there yestarday.

A lot of states are really cracking down on places like that. Some states won't accept titles from some states because of places like that. Very sketchy.

The easiest thing to do would be to cut it up for parts, but that would also be a shame. The next best thing would be to get a bill of sale, and apply for a lost title. This is possible, but may be time consuming, and may require a some money based on the value of the van.
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:57 am

1st thing...register with DMV so you can prove ownership.
    best legal maneuver
    even if you don't show up with a valid title or bill of sale...

2nd thing...title the vehicle
    all states have ways thru the DMV to title a salvaged vehicle
    it takes time but if you go thru with the girations nobody will bather you

3rd thing...keep written records and paper copies of emails

Best thing..It's Yours'
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:45 pm

In my state you can get a provisional title, and then after three years you get a real title. Check the rules in your state.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:57 am

I went through broadway title on an old GTO. I lived in New mexico at the time. It works, at least in that state. Every state has different laws. You can sometimes get a title bond... which is expensive, usually a couple hundred bucks. Then the DMV inspects the vehicle and the VIN tag and after all that issues a title.

Check with the DMV in your state and see what you have to do.
    Hellfish

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Post by Hellfish Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:19 am

How long ago was that? Broadway Title, and other companies like it, are under a lot of scrutiny these days, and some states won't accept titles from them or the states they title through. Remember what happened to Boyd Coddington? He almost went to jail over it.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:46 am

havent used them in years. pennsylvania is really tough on titles. i had a lowboy trailer that i purchased for parts, rebuilt it and applied for title. had it inspected by official inspection station and by police. applied 3 times and rejected all 3 times without reason. i stamped some numbers on the tongue and bought title from broadway, was using it day i got title.
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:32 am

In Virginia yo go down to DMV and let them know you have had possession of the van for more than thirty days. They will then give you the name and address of the last known owner. You send a registered letter to that last known owner at the last known address and wait for a response. If no response in thirty days you take the returned certified letter to DMV and they let you apply for a lein holder title in your name. If someone does respond and they want the van, they have to pay the storage fees to get it and in Virginia you can charge what you want for storage, so......., storage can get kind of high at 35.00 a day for a minimum of 30 days. You get the point. Or if you have a buddy with a wrecker service, let him do it and pay him for his trouble.

Last edited by twday on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)
    cl350rr
    cl350rr

Number of posts : 287
    Registration date : 2011-07-31

Post by cl350rr Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:10 am

twday wrote:In Virginia yo go down to DMV and let them know you have had possession of the van for more than thirty days. They will then give you the name and address of the last known owner. You send a registered letter to that last known owner at the last known address and wait for a response. If no response in thirty days you take the returned certified letter to DMV and they let you apply for a lein holder title in your name. If someone does respond and they want the van, they have to pay the storage fees to get it and in Virginia you can charge what you want for storage, so......., storage can get kind of high at 35.00 a day for a minimum of 30 days. You get the point. Or if you have a buddy with a wrecker service, let him do it and pay him for his trouble.

FYI this can all be done online now in VA, just used this process about 2 months ago to obtain a title. takes about 2 months to do and cost about $65 when all was done.
    Vanner63
    Vanner63

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2010-11-11

Post by Vanner63 Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Hey, thats great! You see I'm a bit tech challenged. LOL

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:02 pm