VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
donivan65
HandiVanMan
NipRing
jrinaman
8 posters

side door adjustment

jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

side door adjustment Empty side door adjustment

Post by jrinaman Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:57 pm

my side doors never fit right. the rear door was tight to jamb and center hung way too low, it overlapped the rocker and front door was recessed enough that handle rubbed on rear door.side door adjustment Van_do10side door adjustment Van_do11side door adjustment Van_do12 so i removed the door, put a vice on lower hinge and tightened in hopes of flattening just a little to push bottom away from jamb 1/8" and in the process, lifteng the center slightly.side door adjustment Van_do13 it sounded like a good idea. i just couldnt get it to bend at all soside door adjustment Van_do14 i placed a wrench over the handle for leverage. above are my results. plan b. take hinge off and bend in bigger vice!side door adjustment Van_do15side door adjustment Van_do16 this didnt work much better so i got out my precission bodyworking tools.side door adjustment Van_do17side door adjustment Van_do18 finally!!! it bent, a lot more than the 1/8" i was wanting so spent the next few hours bending, bolting on door, adjusting, removing door and rebending. i ended up elongating the bolt holes and grinding hinges so i could move bottom out. i did manage to move door away from jamb slightly by bending hinge and raised door in the newly enlarged holes and it finally fits and closes.side door adjustment Van_do19side door adjustment Van_do20side door adjustment Van_do21side door adjustment Van_do22my rear hinge is bent so much that i needed to grind off the stops. it is much better than what i had but i still have small gaps at the jambs and a big center gap. i cant beleive this are made with no adjustment for side gaps. i have no idea how my hinges could of ever been right. this will have to do for now but i will need a new hinge and will do some fabricating to allow adjustment when it comes time to paint. and yes, that is blood smeared on the door in last pic.
    NipRing
    NipRing

Number of posts : 336
    Registration date : 2011-08-14

side door adjustment Empty Re: side door adjustment

Post by NipRing Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:08 pm

I was waiting for a picture of a broken sledge hammer lol!
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Man every time I work on my van I get a little more DNA on it.

I guess that's why they say you put your blood sweat & tears in it. lol!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Do you have the 4 door rods on those doors? Their job is to pull the door in with their tapered wedge so they fit flush with each other.

side door adjustment Repai233
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:02 pm

i have top 2 and rear bottom. the other rod came with van with the spare parts. my rear door hung to low to close, it overlapped rocker panal. the rods line up poorly with the holes and dont see any adjustment there. bottom hinge is bent about 30 degrees so something isnt right. both hinges need another 1/8" to have a normal gap. front door is fine but needs lower rod installed.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:34 am

doors (hinge areas) are made to be ="SHIMMED" look for some shims (body shop guys??) auto parts -or make some-adding shims between the door & the hinges. Remember if it doesnt fit correctly? somethings wrong or unseen or not present.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:43 am

doors have hinge bolted inside, not outside so shims would pull door closer to jamb.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:58 am

nice job!

M1D
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Post by jrinaman Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:05 pm

m1dadio wrote:nice job!

M1D
    thanks, but i am really not happy with it. my first mistake was trying to flatten hinge on door side. whatever i gained in length was lost because door needed to swing a few more degrees so all i did was pushed it in farther, no help on gap. i bent it back and then bent part connected to van. that worked but hinge looks horrable. what is needed is to rebend door side as to lenghten the short part parallel with van. that would of opened gap and pulled it out flush with body. i will try again with another set of hinges and a torch. not today.
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:39 pm

jrinaman, i just went through this on my 64, I pulled the whole hinge and put it a shop press and bent the hinge back to where they started.This took a few tries but came out pretty good The hinge is bent from the door being open to far over the years. Remember these vans never had great even gaps to start with!!!!!!!! Bob
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:54 pm

(Note: More on this topic on this page)

Hey Bob, glad to hear you got some good results! To be clear, which part of the hinge did you end up bending? The curved one that bolts to the door jam or the straight one that bolts to the door? I don't believe my bodyshop's idea of inserting wedges is going to do the trick. Did you take any photos?

Thanks!
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Vanagain, I bent the curve part(van side) I might have picture but have no idea how to post them. My buddy that's helping me with the body work tried every trick that he knew. I pulled the hinge and put it in the press bent it a little , put the hinge back on and repeat. I spent the better part of a day but it looks a ton better Bob

side door adjustment Empty spring the hinge

Post by Guest Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:21 pm

in the body shop we sometimes spring a hinge. do this by closing the door on a block of wood a little thicker than the inside jamb , gently at first, push near the latch,harder only if necessary, the lower hinge first to lift the door at the latch

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:59 am