VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Front door adjustment

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Front door adjustment Empty Front door adjustment

Post by Digz Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:50 am

I'm sure this has been touched on numerous times but I have put new door seals on and am having some issues with the drivers side latching correctly. The passenger side with the rebuilt hinges was golden, couldnt have asked for a better fit. The drivers side was latching up pretty nice with the old gasket, but now she's way tight and I have had the hinges Up Down Sideways and even messed with the latch plate and can't seem to get it right. Looking for a Door Adjusting 101 here ?? The hinges are in good shape.
    I havent cut a new seal apart to see how they are made compared to the old one's double tube look. Might just be a gasket compression issue?
    Digz
    Digz

Front door adjustment Empty Re: Front door adjustment

Post by Digz Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:45 pm

After I let it sit overnight half latched, It gained some. I worked with the strike plate some and actually got it to latch,, Very tight !! Check it again tomorrow to see if it finally takes a decent set without having to shut the door so hard.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Sounds like your weatherstrip is too fat,,,,,,the latch needs to click twice to lock, so you need to move the striker plate out more,,,,,,(grind the holes longer),,,,HOWEVER,,,,,its like made of titanium,,,,I would take 2 junk bolts,,,grind them down a little under the head so the striker plate moves out and see if that helps then you know what you need to do,,,,,,and maybe when that weatherstrip gets skinny again,,,,,put the original bolts back in

Front door adjustment Repai208

Front door adjustment Repai209
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383

Post by BILLS66 Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:36 pm

Digz I know the feeling when I did mine, seems like it took forever.With the new gaskets the front of my doors were to tight so I had to adjust those out a little. Bill
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:35 pm

I also had problems with the 69 and sometimes when it's not going right you have to walk away for a while. The hardest part is dealing with new paint and trying not to #@*)$@# up
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks for the pics there Don, ( I was kinda counting on ya for that). Shows me how far in it is when its actually latched. Whether someone already slotted the holes or if they were made that way , my strike plate is pretty adjustable as is. I 'm pretty sure the replacements seals from Steele are a single tube design and maybe thicker in the sidewalls then? The problem I was having with moving the strike plate out at first was not having the body line lay flat. But I'm thinking its all in the gaskets being fresh and uncompressed and probably being a different design. Ran into the same thing on the rear cargo doors where the seals force the doors together in the center. Pretty limited on adjustment. But it ain't gonna let rain in now !!
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:07 am

Joe , Do your new gasket have little holes (on backside??)in them to let the air out?? Seems like I remember reading something on this on VCVC?? I Think I put some in mine??(need to check??)
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:20 am

I didnt notice anything like that Tom , but I will take a look. Going back to the shop this afternoon to mess with it some.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:05 am