VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
texasjohn
G-Man
donivan65
southern man
8 posters

Door adjustment?

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Door adjustment? Empty Door adjustment?

Post by southern man Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:59 pm

I'm kind of surprised, because my doors fit pretty well before paint, but as I'm putting the rubber back on I see that I have a problem with the side doors. (I don't think the shop did anything. We left the doors on for paint, because I didn't want to have to adjust them after it was done.) The front side door has a bigger gap at the top than the bottom, and when I go to close them the two doors are rubbing (and the gap needs to be uniform top to bottom anyway).

I did a thread search but came up empty. I've played around with the hinges a little, and I could get them to go up and down, but the door doesn't seem to adjust sideways (need to close the gap of the upper part of the door).

I know there has to be a way to adjust this, but with new paint I'm being extremely careful. Any suggestions?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Door adjustment? Empty Re: Door adjustment?

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:18 pm

Ok,,,,,,you got 10 gaps,,,,,,which ones do you need CLOSER,,,,,,which ones do you need WIDER? And is the left door fitting good or the right door fitting good or both look messed up?

Door adjustment? Gapz10
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:24 pm

when I put my 69 back together it took days to get the doors right. If things aren't going right walk away for a while (it helps)
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:01 pm

"If things aren't going right walk away for a while (it helps)"

I did just that tonight!

Doni,
    The left door is perfect! Both doors are fine with the top to bottom height, but the one on the right is slightly leaning to the left - so the top gap on the right (towards the front of the van) is wider than at the bottom. Conversely the door's center seam (to my left looking at it) is narrower at the to the top (actually it's just hitting the left door when almost closed) than at the bottom. Can you picture it?
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:04 pm

I didn't notice your numbers initially, so let me try it again!

The left door is perfect! Both doors are fine with the top to bottom height, but the one on the right is slightly leaning to the left - so the top gap on the right (4) (towards the front of the van) is wider than at the bottom (5). Conversely the door's center seam (to my left looking at it) is narrower at the to the top (2) (actually it's just hitting the left door when almost closed) than at the bottom (1).
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by texasjohn Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:12 pm

im having fun trying to line my 67 up to
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:18 pm

If the front side door is leaning to the left, the top front gap should be smaller not bigger. The top rear gap shoud be bigger since thats the end sagging. What you've said so far contradicts that. A shim between the upper hinge and body should bring it back in line. Also check to be sure your hinge pins arent worn out.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:57 pm

So,,,,,,,are you saying that the door gaps probably looked better before they painted it,,,,,I don't think extra coats of paint caused that , BUT a painter leaning on an open door surely could cause the #2 gap to get closer and the #4 gap to be wider than the #5 gap. So is that what you got, the Right Door leaning onto the Left Door? And how about the hinges,,,,are they sloppy,,,,,is there a lot of play in those hinges when you open the door a few inches and lift the door up by the handle ? This is starting to sound like a 2x4 adjustment to me,,,,,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:09 pm

So does it look like someone wanted to stand up in the side door area to work on the roof and grabbed the top of the door to pull them up, and the door got bent down?????
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:57 am

"BUT a painter leaning on an open door surely could cause the #2 gap to get closer and the #4 gap to be wider than the #5 gap. So is that what you got, the Right Door leaning onto the Left Door? And how about the hinges,,,,are they sloppy?"

Doni, you've read it right. Could be the guy did just as you suggest. The hinges are not sloppy at all (but maybe the top one got bent ever so slightly).

"If the front side door is leaning to the left, the top front gap should be smaller not bigger. The top rear gap shoud be bigger since thats the end sagging. What you've said so far contradicts that. A shim between the upper hinge and body should bring it back in line. Also check to be sure your hinge pins arent worn out."

Tim, I must not have described it very well, because the gap is larger on the top right of the door and smaller on the top left. And just the opposite for each side on the bottom. The top hinge looks like it's tight against the body (towards the front). I would think it will need to move towards the front of the van to take up that slack, but there's no room to move. I guess the alternative is messing with the left door, and moving those hinges towards the rear.

ARGHHHHH!!!! I would have done all of this before paint if I knew it was going to be a problem!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:14 am

So how much difference is there between sides,,,,,,like a normal gap would be 1/8" all around. So what are you going to do,,,,,,,lift up on the bottom of the door and bend it back to where it belongs or run a test,,,,,,switch that upper right hinge with the one on the rear and see if that is the problem,
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:36 am

I haven't messed with Es, so I may be way off base here.
    What you want is the top of the front side door to move forward, right?
    There are 2 ways to try this. Since this is fresh paint, you want to go slow and easy, working up to more pressure. It's a good idea to duct tape rags on the tools too.
    First is to grab a 2X4 and with the door open a few inches, use the 2X4 as a lever to pry up on the bottom of the door at the furthest point from the hinges. This will force the top gap tighter. It may also force the bottom back, so EASY DOES IT!!! You can try using a padded 2X4 and a floor jack to lift that corner too, but the hand method has a better feel.
    Another way is to find a big C clamp or another way to reach inside the door and around the hinge pillar and apply pressure to the outside of the top hinge inside the door and pillar. Put on a good pressure to it, then bang the area with a rubber mallet so it will take a set. Metal tends to spring back, so the blows will make it 'adjust' more than simply applying the pressure.
    Good Luck!
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:02 am

"So how much difference is there between sides,,,,,,like a normal gap would be 1/8" all around. " I haven't measured it, and I'm not home right now.

"What you want is the top of the front side door to move forward, right?"
    Rod, you are correct. Your method with the padded 2X4 sounds like something worth trying. A 1/8" change is probably all I need.

Thanks to all who have responded!

Funny story that comes to mind. When I got my '66 A100 35 years ago the front side door had been clipped a little by something. The door itself wasn't damaged too bad but the top hinge was badly bent back towards the rear and as such the door wouldn't open more than a couple of inches. I was working consruction at the time and my buddy and I took a bucket loader and positioned the front corner edge of the bucket against the hinge, and then slowly accelerated the loader. It pushed my van kind of sideways about 50 feet across the shop yard, but when we were done the hinge was straight and the door worked fine. Of course one slip of that bucket and it could have meant disaster, but it all worked out. I didn't even need to adjust the hinge at all when we were done! Redneck ingenuity at it's finest.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:25 am

I think switch the right door hinges with the ones on the back door,,,,,,in this way, you can find out if the hinges are the problem and IF you end up screwing up the paint or door panel by trying to bend it, it is in back of the van, not right in front of your face,,,,,,,,,and it is a lot easier to take a hinge, heat it up in a vice and bend it back in shape and paint it rather than having to straighten out and paint the panels in case something goes wrong,,,,,SO ARE YOU FEELING LUCKY?????
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:52 am

Have to say it's lot easier having someone help also
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:30 am

Dodge hinges are riveted to the door, bolted to the body.
    Are Gs and Es different?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:59 pm

same Rod for E's.

I noticed the Shambulance door pillars are distorted, and need a little pulling back into line to close gaps. I am interested in the use of shims though... I don't know how a person woud get a shim in there... I'm ready to saw my pillars open and repair / align them.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Well if one side of the hinge is riveted to the door, you might try the back door in its place to determine if the problem is the hinges or the pillar,,,,,,as for shims, a person could glue them to the hinge and slide it back in the body and bolt it back in to realign the door gaps, depending on which way you wanted to move the hinge, or even grind the hinge thinner to move it,,,,,,,,
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:23 pm

If you aren't working with fresh paint, you can use all sorts of things.
    To move strong stuff around (door pillars), you can use a solid point and a come-along to pull. To push, they have port-a-powers. Block up against the opposite side the full length (spread the load), then push against a small section of what you need to move. A 2X4 and a 2 pound sledge can also move things around, just try not to make it worse! Smile
    I doubt a shim will work well for these vans. They would have to be the same footprint as the hinge and serrated to prevent movement.

For a look at how it used to be done, read through this
    http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/025/cover.htm

It covers an older model with more adjustments, but will give you an idea of how to fit things.
    Spank
    Spank

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2010-04-15

Door adjustment? Empty A little off topic

Post by Spank Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:33 pm

Are the Front doors adjustable on the E100? Mine are sagging quite a bit so that the latch hits low.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:47 pm

The 1st question is, when you open the door a few inches, does the door move up as you lift up on the end of it, showing you that the hinges are worn out causing the door to sag?
    Spank
    Spank

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2010-04-15

Post by Spank Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:23 pm

I can get a half inch of play. Which woud be enough to get clean engagment. Looks to come from the attatch point of the hinge to the body and from hinge to door. Very little if any at the pin. Hinge to body has bolts but is also welded. Hinge to door looks to be rivets.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:17 pm

So the door is sagging,,,,,if the hinge pin and bushing is not the problem then it has to be where the hinge connects to the door or to the front post,,,,,,what do you see,,,,,,cracked or loose metal around where the hinges are attached?
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:50 am

Front doors were shimmed from the factory so yes. As far as the side door dillema,you may try a shim on the opposite hinge,opposite side of course,to get the desired result. A tack weld will also hold the shim in place.
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:33 am

I tried the 2X4 last night, but couldn't get anything to budge. I'll admit I was a bit gentle, at least for now. I decided to glue the door rubbers back on and see if that makes any difference. Probably not, but worth a try. If not I'll get a little more aggressive with the 2X4.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:01 am