VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Twinpilot001
pittsdriver
Digz
donivan65
kykayaker37
ericdigital
10 posters

A100 van overheating

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

A100 van overheating - Page 2 Empty Re: A100 van overheating

Post by donivan65 Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:12 pm

,,,,,and if we are talking about lyin cheatin gauges,,,,if the current limiter in the fuel gauge is not working right, it would send too much current to the 5 volt gauges and they would read high,,,,,( did you really think you were getting GREAT fuel mileage since the gas gauge stays up by full?)
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:27 am

ericdigital wrote:bought the 160 today makes sense to start cooling at a lower temp, also went to 4 radiator shops they all cant find it at their warehouses.Ill try some more local radiator shops tomorrow.One guy told me id have to get one made. pep boys laughed at me .. i laughed at myself as well for even asking
    @ slowflapper that fan looks a hell of a lot more effective than the fan i have ....I need that. can u pick that up or do u need to order that? i do have the belly pan anyone have a pic of it installed.
    @Twinpilot001 to get the fan closer to the radiator i assume u just add some kind of spacer after the waterpump?

I ordered it from Summit Racing online, looks like its no longer offered but you can browse what they do have or call them and ask for the new part number, the website is here:
    Summit Racing

Dont get anything over 17" in diameter or it will get to close to the hose connections on the radiator.

You need a "high flow / heavy duty" fan with 5 or 6 blades. Also, in regards to the thermostat. I live in GA and it's hot in the summer time, ambient air is 80-100 degrees. I can actually watch the engine temp climbing while I'm sitting at a red light.

I put in the 160 so I have more of a buffer for the critical temp which is around 220 for my engine. My carb will boil-off at around 220 degrees, if I run the 180 t-stat it is very easy for me to overheat the carb and boil it (stranding me for a few hours).

You also need to install a mechanical "wide range" temp gauge so you can see exactly what temp you are running. I used a 2-gauge temp+oil pressure set from Summit Racing and mounted it on the front of the dog house.

eta: looks like this:
    A100 van overheating - Page 2 IMG-20110313-00257

eta:
    pic of the belly pan you asked for, taken from the front drivers side:

A100 van overheating - Page 2 IMG00463-20100327-1412
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:29 pm

slowstopper i installed the 3 gauge pod at the same place . I wanted the volts cuz i didn'tcare about amps, I also made a scoop and cut it in the belly pan. On a wedge to push more air up. After driving down the hiway and running hot I opened the latch on the dog house and watched the gauge drop 20 degreese in a few min. so that told me the hot air has nowere to go so i picked up a rear window defroster /blower motor . i'll install that behind the driver's seat mounted near the top . So when I turn this on it will draw the hot air out and blow it thru the floor into a frame rail so the out side air can't choak it off. later on i'll set it up to turn on automaticly when the heat goes up...

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Here is what i posted awhile ago, has part numbers and all. It was cheaper than having my old one fixed and it works great in the Florida heat.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t22811-my-radiator-fix

The stock fan should keep it cool, i know if i leave the belly pan off it runs hotter.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:35 pm

dix wrote:slowstopper i installed the 3 gauge pod at the same place . I wanted the volts cuz i didn'tcare about amps, I also made a scoop and cut it in the belly pan. On a wedge to push more air up. After driving down the hiway and running hot I opened the latch on the dog house and watched the gauge drop 20 degreese in a few min. so that told me the hot air has nowere to go so i picked up a rear window defroster /blower motor . i'll install that behind the driver's seat mounted near the top . So when I turn this on it will draw the hot air out and blow it thru the floor into a frame rail so the out side air can't choak it off. later on i'll set it up to turn on automaticly when the heat goes up...

yap, some problems I have Smile post pics of your blower fan setup when you get it done please, Im looking into that myself. Sitting in summer traffic in GA can be a little nerve racking when the temp guage starts rising.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:59 pm

this is the same set up i am going to use. Use some foam or cork for a seal tight gasket. and drill thru the floor above the frame rail, http://www.ebay.com/itm/71-72-MOPAR-CUDA-GTX-CHARGER-B-BODY-REAR-DEFOGGER-DEFROSTER-DEFOG-BLOWER-MOTOR-/260988298312?hash=item3cc41d6448&item=260988298312&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:25 am