VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Twinpilot001
kookykrispy
67VanHelsing
m1dadio
Vantasia
brians8253
10 posters

Overheating G10 HELP!

brians8253
    brians8253

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2015-05-27

Overheating G10 HELP! Empty Overheating G10 HELP!

Post by brians8253 Wed May 27, 2015 5:02 am

HELP, new to this but dont know where to turn! Have a 1966 g10 I converted to 4 wheel drive an put a 350 gm v8 in it. The engine is a brand new long block from jegs everything on the motor is new intake, water pump, 160 thermostat, radiator hoses, monster 4 core aluminium radiator with a 6 bladed fan an a electric fan on the other side of the radiator. I have no air pockets in it filled it by doing a vacuum on it also shows I have no leaks. not a blown head-gasket thought the first motor had that problem since it was slightly used so bought a new still running hot. I have ran the van with no exhaust to make sure there was no blockage. I have a smaller style pulley so it spins the water pump faster have been through 3 water pumps since I thought it was those I know the water is circulating. The timing is correct on the motor. I have even went as far as extending the motor box so it scoops air in from the front grille. PLEASE HELP don't know what else it could be anyone else do v8 conversions
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Overheating G10 HELP! Empty Re: Overheating G10 HELP!

Post by Vantasia Wed May 27, 2015 5:28 am

I'm not a V8 expert, but, its my opinion that an electric fan in front of the radiator actually blocks air flow, many others have said the same.  A 160 stat sounds good, but it may be opening and closing too fast, the coolant needs time in the radiator to cool down, try a 180 or higher, its opposite of what you might think.  Same for the faster pump, the coolant needs time in the radiator to cool, not buzz through.... New motors need break in time? and may run hotter? experts? Also, most V8 installs in a 1st gen need a ram air tunnel like the 2ns gens have, everyone I've seen here has done that mod for a V8.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Wed May 27, 2015 6:54 am

lets see some pictures of your cooling set up

M1D
    67VanHelsing
    67VanHelsing

Number of posts : 118
    Registration date : 2014-03-04

Post by 67VanHelsing Wed May 27, 2015 7:22 am

Welcome to VV. I'm assuming it's overheating because it's blowing past the radiator cap. Check to make sure you have correct pressure rating for the cap. If the pressure rating is too low it'll cause the cap to open too soon and relieve pressure in the system. Do you have the fan shroud installed? If not install one. I would also move the electric fan away from the front of the radiator. You can leave it in front, just not bolted flush with the radiator (if it is). The thermostat at 160F seems low for a V8, but all that does is ensure your engine reaches temp before opening (it should only open once).
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Wed May 27, 2015 7:31 am

Welcome to VV. Both M1D and I have successfully done v8 conversions.

Please post pics of your cooling system so we can see what you are missing.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed May 27, 2015 8:01 am

Understand -this - the thermostat is too cold! allows flow of coolant too quickly & is always open - that alone will add to overheating! Now - next is this- get rid of that small Pulley!! allows same -too fast of the coolant flow!! now - have a fan - NEAR>> the radiator? Like within 1 "?? Shroud?? likely NOT! that is a must today on these radiators-shrouds! Clutch fan?? Remember gm designed these to cool in the hottest conditions! When =NEW! I have aftermarket radiators on all my early vans & cars. yet -always use a shroud too. Learned that lesson many times! The radiator companys do make them yet -i usually build my own. Now all that being said - the aftermarket fans - usually dont push/pulll enough air!! Look in the archives here & get a lincoln or tarus fan - a/c type from a late model car!! cheap & do they ever move air!! These are 3 wire fans & have a low & high speed in them -need the relay on those too!! Now also take some pix of your install & post here - front back (fan side) and top & bottom too. that will aid everyone ! What size radiator do you have 2 / 3 / 4 core & crossflow or downflow type?? consider also putting a electric fan/ blower in the rear of the doghouse area too. pulls heat out!! cheers
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Wed May 27, 2015 11:27 am

on your electric  fan, is the one on the front of the radiator pushing air to the
    rear of the vehicle?
    I have discovered that when water moves to fast through the radiator it will not
    take the heat out of the water/coolant and will also cause an overheating problem,
    if you think this is a problem with your set up just pinch off upper hose about 1/2 way
    closed and see if you overheating problem improves
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed May 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Runs hot on the road @ 60 mph? gets hot idling? Just plain gets hot n matter what ? and what are you calling hot?
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by Kakster Thu May 28, 2015 9:09 pm

Question: If the water pump spins too fast could that cause cavitation, making a pressure drop in the pump and the fluid in there boils which inhibits proper flow through the motor?
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

Post by Xelmon Fri May 29, 2015 12:21 am

Helsing is right, once the thermostat is open, it's open, end of story.

I'm with Digz here, when are we overheating? Improper timing could be a major culprit too!

Kakster, in theory yes, however that pump would have to be spinning very fast to be able to do that. I could start doing experiments to figure out when, however that's outside of the scope. Very Happy
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Fri May 29, 2015 6:50 am

we used to have a member in our local van club who had a 68/108 4x4,
    he installed a flow cooler water pump on his 350 and it ran hotter, installed
    the original one and problem went byby. my first early could do 45 mph all day
    long in 95 plus degree days and stay cool but when you pushed it up to 65 it would
    run hotter, the only thing that changed was it was moving water through the radiator
    a little faster than it was a 45, installing an overdrive trans will do the same thing as
    traveling slower down the highway, just harder to accomplish

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:32 pm