VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Why won't my wipers turn off???

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Why won't my wipers turn off??? Empty Why won't my wipers turn off???

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:00 pm

I put the wipers to good use for the first time today. They were turning off and then decided not to unless I turned the van off and on again.

It's like they come down, want to stop, but just can't. On one occassion, they didn't turn off right away but eventually stopped on their own a few minutes later.

Also, are they suppossed to have variable speed? Mine seem to, but it's very slight if so. Thx.

Another related question: My windshield leaks right above the mirror where the previous owner ran the gasket but it doesn't quite meet in the middle. Is there a "best" product to stop it? It didn't appear to leak overnight but did when combined with the wind and hard rain going down the interstate.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Why won't my wipers turn off??? Empty Re: Why won't my wipers turn off???

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Laz,
    I have the same problem with my wipers a couple of times. I had to pull the fuse to get them to reset them. I think that the switch might be going bad on mine. It could also be your problem if everything is wired up the way it is supposed to be. As for the leaking windshield you can go to an auto body supply & buy a tube of the adhesive that is used to install the side windows in today's vehicles without the window gaskets. It is about the same color as our windshield gaskets so it should blend ok. Just be careful when applying to the area cause it can cause a mess. It is thicker than silicone or any other caulk so it won't be as messy as any of them. I have used it on a couple of old windshield gaskets that leaked & had luck with it.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:32 pm

The wipers have a "park" switch internally so when you turn them off, they don't just stop, but stop at the bottom.
    Take a look at the wiring and try to visualize how it works.
    It's often a bad ground at the motor, a dirty internal switch or it's just bad.
    I don't know what type you have on Chevys, but here is something I found online
    http://www.socalvintagechevy.com/Wiper%20Motor.htm
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Those wipers have a Positive and Negative circuit,,,,,the Negative, which is the switch in the dash, tells the Positive what to do,,,,so,,,,reach up behind the dash and unplug the wiper switch connector,,,,,see if wipers shut down like they should,,,, it's the switch, if not, its the wiper motor and those PARK contacts in it,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:27 pm