VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

my 64 g10 wont start!!!!!!

my 64 g10 wont start!!!!!! Empty my 64 g10 wont start!!!!!!

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:12 pm

scratch I dont know what to do i am fixing to burn this van to the ground !
    My starter died so i had it re built at a trusted hotrod shop put it back in and it started twice now it wont start again! so i took it to a auto parts store to have it tested and they couldnt get it to work. I took it back to the place where i got it fixed and he had it spinning with no problem . I watched him do it he put it in a vice and applyed the power and magic it worked. so i brought it home and NOTHING i cant figure it out ! I have about had it can any one help me please????????
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

my 64 g10 wont start!!!!!! Empty Re: my 64 g10 wont start!!!!!!

Post by kookykrispy Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:26 pm

hmmm... are you sure you have it wired up correctly?

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:32 pm

sure am i zip tied and labled all the wires and where they went and put them back the same way when i
    got it back
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:35 pm

and you're sure the battery is good and fully charged? And you're sure there is not a wiring problem at the ignition switch?

Another thing you can do is make sure its in neutral and turn the ignition on, take a scredriver and bridge it between the battery hot cable terminal and the 's' terminal, the starter should start. If it starts, then wiring is the problem somewhere.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:40 pm

the batt is good and charged i have it in neutral and i even tried sticking wires in the ignition and trying to hot wire it but nothing
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:43 pm

well if it tested bad at the auto parts store maybe its a bad starter?

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:46 pm

I took it back to the place where i got it fixed and he had it spinning with no problem . I watched him do it
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:49 pm

Well something is f*cked up. Maybe buy one from the parts store that has a warranty, if you can get your van running with the parts store starter, then you know its the problem, take that old one back to the hot rod shop, have them repair it to your satisfaction... tell them something is still wrong. Even if it somehow works on their bench, it doesn't do you any good if it does not work in your vehicle. Then you'll have a spare

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:52 pm

ya something is f*cked up ill keep trying . Thanks.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:53 pm

It may have too much resistance in the windings, that could be why the parts store shows it as being bad... but maybe it will still operate like that during bench testing at a shop if they put enough juice through it. I've seen this kind of thing before. I know its frustrating, especially iof you already paid alot of $ to have it fixed. Sucks to have to keep installing and removing the stupid thing. Believe me I've been there.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:55 pm

sure is ill do it again in the morning fun fun
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:58 pm

better than swapping rear ends, which is what I am in the middle of doing... so it could be worse Wink

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:59 pm

im looking foward to all the fun times i will have with this headake not!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:10 pm

A starter can turn on a bench but not turn over an engine if the field windings are shorted,,,,,,,SO,,,,,,,Do this test,,,,,,take your jumper cables,,,,,good heavy ones,,,,,connect the Neg the from the battery to the starter or bellhousing,,,,or an engine bolt,,,,,THEN,,,,,,connect the POSITIVE from the battery to the B on the starter solenoid,,,,,,see if van starts,,,,,,THEN jump from B to S with a little wire,,,,see if it starts,,,,,,FINALLY ,,,,take the jumper cable off B and touch it to M right below it,,,,see if starter spins,,,,,,tell us what you find,,,,,,leave the real cables and wires hooked up as they are,,,just get some jumper cables and you will be just adding more juice and ground to all those wires that are on it and finding out if any of those wires are not doing their job,,,,,

my 64 g10 wont start!!!!!! Starte10

Post by Guest Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:02 pm

my starter is from a 71 c10 SO ... it has the main pole(+) and 2 small poles on the cylinoid will it still work?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:29 pm

A vehicle with points needs 4 wires,,,,,,,if you look at the back of the starter, you see wires on the solenoid,,,,,the battery POSITIVE cable is like 12 oclock,,,,,,,under it at 6 oclock, it hooks to the starter,,,,,,3 oclock goes to the key,,,,,,,,9 oclock goes to the positive side of the coil,,,,,,also you need the NEGATIVE battery cable bolted to the transmission,,,,so you got a lot of Van wiring to check before that starter will crank the engine,,,,,,,

my 64 g10 wont start!!!!!! Nodoor13
    whopman
    whopman

Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2010-04-01

Post by whopman Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:58 pm

speeddragon...It gets a little frustrating sometimes..when it does walk away, regroup and then come back to it. Donivan has done an excellent job with the pics....take it slow and make sure none of the wires have a break in them..Sometimes the wire ends appear to be attached and aren't. Wiring can be a pain in the a_ _ sometimes...well most of the time actually!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:18 pm

That's right,,,,,one step at a time,,,,,you need to check out each circuit to see if it's doing it's job,,,,,,,and ask any questions if you need to,,,,,like, I showed you a bunch of tests,,,,,I did not say how to fix a problem if you found one,,,,,,you need to find the problem, then we figure out how to fix it,,,,,you got a lot of variables right now and need to start eliminating them one by one until you get to the actual problem,,,,then you fix it. ( if you mix up 3 oclock and 9 oclock wires,,,,it won't start)
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:14 pm

Follow Donivan's advice and you should narrow it down pretty quick.

Is it a Powerglide, or manual?

I had a problem where the starter wouldn't even try to turn the starter, it turned out to be the Neutral Safety Switch on the Powerglide. I bypassed the switch and it fired right up.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

my 64 g10 wont start!!!!!! Empty Btush Plate-??

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:55 am

here are my 2 experiences with starters- 1st.= solenoid is intermittently bad-remove & replace it- without removing the starter?? make it easy on self though. 2nd.- pull the starter apart- look @ the springs that apply tension on the brushes- Ive had these hang up & not apply pressure to a brush(open circuit) clean all with carb/ brake cleaner- dry & operate the srrings by hand -looking closely -see if they hang up?? If starter is all apart-?? clean copper end armature with fine sandpaper - cleam & lube with grease (little) on bushing and end plate areas. Know this- if the armature or field coils are bad=?? starter wont work at all- not even once . if all the above is done- & still wont work?? id look @ wiring - testing each to starter & have some patience - dont get mad - ive learned all the hard way also- hehe -thank God ive survived & got old!! Hope all this advice helps. There have been many a starter changed & money made by bad intermittent solenoids!! There cheap to replace .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:45 pm