VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Need Engine selection Help

equium
    equium

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2011-04-25

Need Engine selection Help Empty Need Engine selection Help

Post by equium Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:11 am

Hey everyone. My son and I are finally going to get started on his '64 A100. The engine (170?) is blown and needs a new one. I have come across Slant 6's for sale from various year vehicles. I know i've read somewhere that there are certain year 6's I should consider and some I should run from. Can anyone help with this info? We're looking to put in a 225. I'm not looking for any major performance right now, just reliability. The van has an automatic transmission.
    thanks,
    Danny

Need Engine selection Help Empty Re: Need Engine selection Help

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:07 pm

i did put a 1979 super six from an Aspen into mine, works perfect, i have a 2 barils carb(BBD) so i had to put a bigger exshaut line( i think its 2 1/4 dia.)gas pedal cable fits with the original one, but i still have the air breather size probleme, i cant close the lid!! but other than that i just love it..good luck...corrosive
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:29 pm

For slant six info, try www.slantsix.org

There are a few year breaks to be aware of.
    All of this is from memory, and I'm not real sure of the dates, so do your research!!!
    Right around 1968 they changed the size of the back of the crank where the torque converter sits. You can't mix this. However, torque converters can be changed to match.
    Around 1977, they did away with the spark plug tubes but the cam is still mechanical.
    Around 1981 they went to a cast crank and a hydraulic cam.
    The crank is different and so is the block.

If you get the whole engine, it should bolt in providing the torque converter is matched with the crank.
    Things to watch for are TP or kickdown linkage matching your trans, throttle linkage or cable, and the low left side alt mount instead of the typical later high right mount. There may be an issues with pulleys, but since the vans only had WP and alt (single pulley), they can usually be fixed.
    equium
    equium

Post by equium Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks guys. I'll keep up with the research. I'd hate to get a motor only to find out it wont bolt up to my auto trans.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:11 am

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/2832136721.html

See if this one runs.
    You should be able to use it if you buy a rebuilt torque converter for a 1975 727 trans. This has the 904, yours is a 727.

This will be a single barrel carb like yours, so it should all bolt up. You may want to compare first, so if you have to swap your intake/exhaust into this engine you can do it before you put it in.
    equium
    equium

Post by equium Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:20 am

RodStRace wrote:http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/2832136721.html

See if this one runs.
    You should be able to use it if you buy a rebuilt torque converter for a 1975 727 trans. This has the 904, yours is a 727.

This will be a single barrel carb like yours, so it should all bolt up. You may want to compare first, so if you have to swap your intake/exhaust into this engine you can do it before you put it in.
    The guy said he'd let the motor go for 150 bucks and that he was told it did run at some point. I'm heading out on a family vacation for a week and will get back on an engine search when I get back. Thanks for the lead.
    danny
    equium
    equium

Post by equium Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:15 pm

I bought an engine today. Found a great deal on craigslist. 1968 225 slant 6 from a barracuda. Rebuilt 8 years ago and has been sitting. fired right up. bored .30 over. No short cuts taken on the rebuild. Can't wait to get it in.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:22 pm

teach the kid everything enjoy...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content