VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
donivan65
sasktrini
Sy Hollinshead
Rayallen
8 posters

electrical issues!

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

electrical issues! - Page 2 Empty rays = batt draw?

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi Ray - try this - with batt =POS= Cable disconnected- remove the largest wire on the new alternator(should be the "Bat" wire) about a 10 gague wire. With that disconnected & out of way.= reconnect (touch lightly) the pos batt cable to the battery-look for a small spark when just touching it-if none(spark at cable) =(with big pos-batt cable again removed ) reconnect the alternator battery wire to alternator. Re test =battery (pos) (cable to battery->> any spark?? let me know ,Matt
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

electrical issues! - Page 2 Empty Re: electrical issues!

Post by Rayallen Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Ok guys, I took a look and a drive today.

I think im making progress. The 1st starter solenoid I bought is on the van and doing its job (took the other one back and got my $ back) I had a couple of wires switched around.

Took it for a drive today and the gen light stayed on the whole time, but now when I remove the key it goes off. This is a step in the right direction because I believe that caused my battery drain.

There is one wire im not sure what to do with. I believe its a ground wire (red and black)

On the generator it had 3 wires. A large battery wire, a black/green wire which I believe goes to the idiot light and a red/black wire which i think is the ground.

I have the alternator wired like so. Batter Cable hooked up to battery terminal. #1 terminal I have the idiot light wire, #2 terminal I have a wire from there to the battery terminal.

What Im confused about is what do I do with the red/black ground wire that was hooked up to the generator. Should I just ground it to the body?

I used this pic posted by donivan on another thread tp set the alt up.

electrical issues! - Page 2 Alt

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Check the regulator, check how you connected the new alternator, maybe you hooked it up wrong. Also>>>>>>> Check ground straps and connections between the battery, engine, and body.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:15 pm

The regulator is built into that 3rd Gen Chevy Alternator you have pictured above. DO YOU HAVE THAT EXACT ALTERNATOR OR SOMETHING ELSE? So take a test light, see if the output and #2 have battery voltage to it all the time ,,,,,AND #1 does not until the key is on,,,,,And do you REALLY have an idiot light or ammeter on your van? Put a voltmeter on the output,,,,,Are you getting 14 volts when the engine is running or is it 12 volts or less? If you have voltage on those 3 wires when it is running, (and the alternator is turning) and the voltage is not at least 13, the alternator is bad,,,,,
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:39 am

This is the alt I bought brand new from summit.

It says 1 wire but It has a battery terminal on the back and at the top it has two terminals just like the one in the above alternator. The terminals had a black rubber cap covering them when it arrived which I removed. You can do a 360 view at summits sight to see what Im talking about. It does have a built in regulator.

I do have the idiot light, never put in a proper gauge.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFF-7068/?rtype=10

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

electrical issues! - Page 2 Empty alt-wires

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:38 am

ok 1 wire - only thing ill say is just need a Hot wire to the 1 terminal on back - as for the idiot lite -?? im thinking ull need to add a real gague either amps or voltage & hook that hot wire thru the gague before goint to the alt .l Also make sure that hot wire is a 10 gague & is a switched wire - not hot all the time!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:51 am

So you got a TOUGH STUFF Alternator,,,,,what the hell is that? Some kind of a GM rip off? But we need to know if it is REALLY WORKING,,,,we don't care nothing about that idiot light,,,,,,is it charging the battery without draining the battery when it is off? A REAL 1 wire Alternator just needs the output wire hooked to the battery,,,,,,my picture is how to hook up a 3 wire to replace one with a separate voltage regulator,,,,they are not the same,,,,that fake one just looks like it. a 3 wire needs power from the idiot light or a resistor to turn it on and put the idiot light off and it needs power to the #2 to sense how many volts are coming out of that alternator,,,,,yours is plugged,,,,leave it that way,,,it should work with just the big wire connected to the back of the alternator,,,,you don't need an idiot light anyways,,,a VOLTMETER is the only way to go....so tell me how many volts are at the battery when the engine is running and if you have a drain on the system. Here is the drain test,,,,put a test light between a cable and the battery,,,,if it lights, juice is LEAVING that battery and that is not a good thing,,,,,

electrical issues! - Page 2 Drain10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:20 pm

Throw a meter on it,,,,,,you should have 13.5 to 14.5 volts,,,,here is a WalMart one that plugs into the cigarette lighter,,,,there are others,,,,get a plug with alligator clips on it and you can check voltage anywhere,,,,,,

electrical issues! - Page 2 Walvol10

electrical issues! - Page 2 Walvol11
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:25 pm

Donivan65 I performed the test light test on the battery and it is coming on both when the van is running and off. While running the battery gave me a reading of 13.8 volts.

I tested the alternator today also. This is what I found.

ALT TEST #1) If I have a hot wire going to terminal 1 the alt produces 14.5 currents. This is only after the van has been started with the hot attached, I then unhooked the hot and took the reading from terminal #1 14.5 volts. Which tells me it charges.

ALT TEST#2) I shut down the van removed the hot wire from the alt so all thats hooked up to it is the battery. I started the van and took a reading from terminal one of the alt and got 0 volts on the voltmeter. I took the positive battery off and the van died. Tells me in this configuration the battery is powering everything.

Problem is if I leave it in Test #1s configuration after shutting the van down and removing the key the idiot light stays on, the only way to turn it of is by removing the positive battery cable or taking the hot off the alt terminal #1 and touching it to metal. After doing either the light goes off.

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:27 pm

Side Note: someone else had posted a question having the same problems, sorry didnt mean to delete your post. Dont even know how i did it.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:39 pm

Find out what the idiot light is hooked to?????? let it glow -until you find whats powering it-likely thats your battery draw .just disconect that idiot light for now. Go back to my posts & read -do that again as far as testing.Every one here is correct in their thinking -yet may be confusing to you sometimes.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:41 pm

You are getting closer to fixing it,,,,,you just seem to run into, (or create), another problem right before you get it fixed. That claims to be a 1 wire, so hook it up as a 1 wire,,,,see if it works,,,,,and that 1 wire is the big OUTPUT wire on the back of the alternator,,,,the #1 and 2 should be plugged up and not used,,,,,and run the drain test on the battery,,,,the light should NOT be on,,,,,if it is,,,undo that output wire on the alternator and see if the light goes out. If the light is out with only the output wire on that alternator, start it and check the voltage,,,,if it charges OK,,,,,you are good,,,,that alternator may not be set up for an idiot light or something is wrong with it,,,,,,so I would not worry about the idiot light,,,,now if the alternator does not charge with ONLY the output wire on it, touch some juice for a second to #1,,,,,see if that wakes up the alternator,,,,you need to do electrical testing 1 step at a time then go onto the next step if you want to figure stuff out,,,,,,
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Forgive me ignorance when it comes to this, im working on it. Frustrating that none of these problems started until I put on the alternator. I am determined to get to the bottom of it.

I took some pics of the wiring to show what I've been looking at. One thing I noticed is the battery supply wire going to the generator now the alternator is coming from the voltage regulator. This is how it was wired when I bought the van and has been since. I actually have not changed any of the wiring so whats there has been there in the configuration it was in.

Voltage Regulator has a thick yellow wire going from it to the battery port of the alternator, same wire that was hooked up to the gen battery port. You can see it in the pic going from the volt reg to the alt

See in pic
    electrical issues! - Page 2 IMG_3771
    electrical issues! - Page 2 IMG_3775
    electrical issues! - Page 2 IMG_3776
    electrical issues! - Page 2 IMG_3777
    electrical issues! - Page 2 IMG_3779
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:59 pm

I have figured this out. The alt is not getting a charge unless a hot wire is going to terminal 1.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:05 pm

Don't worry about it Ray,,,,,we just need to get to the bottom of the problem,,,,Hey, it might be you,,,,just keep trying,,,,ask questions,,,,it's hard to tell you what to do when we are just guessing what you have and what you are doing,,,,,,we can fix it!!!! once we are on the same page,,,,,all those 1 wires start off as 3 wires,,,,they ALLEGEDLY build the other 2 wires inside it,,,,,some are better built than others,,,,one thing is, if you don't use the #1, you have to race the engine up to get it to start charging,,,,so these wonderful 1 wires are not as easy and simple as they tell you. If you had a Generator on your van, you got an extra Armature wire hanging around,,,,,but, if you get down to the basics, see that it charges,,,see that there is no drain,,,,,then we will worry about that idiot light,,,,one step at a time,,,,and when you find that something seems not right,,,, ASK,,,,,we will get you through it,,,,,just don't do a whole bunch of things at a time and get all confused.......one thing always leads to another,,,you can't just fast forward electricity because you might just be skipping over the problem........everything has a job to,,,,and if it is not doing it,,,the rest of the system can't do their jobs......
    jeffmckenz
    jeffmckenz

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2011-12-19

electrical issues! - Page 2 Empty answers

Post by jeffmckenz Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:29 pm

bear with me here.... it sounds like the alternator... it's usually what has been touched or improved lately... with the alternator alone there are a few extremely common things that can cause the problem...
    1. Is the alternator powder coated or have some other insulating material that may cause it to not ground.
    2. New paint/coating on the brackets ( Did you pretty it up when replacing ) and or allow it to not pass ground ?
    3. wrong alternator, stock may not be enough on alot of older vehicles.
    4. some alternators ground to the bracket and may or may not have a ground wire and it is considered optional if you need it and sometimes doesn't come with the wire and often is not in the wiring harness.

I would jump the solenoid installed, i often just arch with a larger screwdriver, they do sell a trigger switch with alligators at sears for $8 i think,i have one, it's good to have around for convenience when working... .

if your good with the ohmmeter, and it may come to this anyway... check ground on pretty much everything touched lately... check voltage on alternator while running for output with everything on...

the reason i am very confident it is an alternator issue is you mentioned a light fading out ??? it shouldn't... it should go to ground...
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:32 pm

You leave the black cap there its been converted internally ,, mine is the same way.
    jeffmckenz
    jeffmckenz

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2011-12-19

electrical issues! - Page 2 Empty alternator

Post by jeffmckenz Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:47 pm

you have a voltage regulator, does your alternator also have one ? um, still have the directions ? a picture of the wiring diagram or diagrams would allow us to trace the wires and take out all doubt
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:55 pm

Really that voltage regulator needs to disappear. your alt hot out should now be going to a bat power connection like on the hot side of the starter solenoid with maybe an 8 or 10 guage wire. If the alt is not putting out anything after you kick the RPMs upa bit then its junk.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:27 am

Just recently been having the same problem on my 69 gmc van. I have had it for almost 2 years and have been running a 1 wire alternator on it. I had no charging problems up until about a couple of weeks ago. Then it started only occasionally charging and finally quit charging at all. It is wired up with a hot wire going from the back of the alternator to the positive post on the battery. I hooked up a wire from the #1 on top of the alternator and ran it to the positive post on the battery and it is now charging. I couldn't tell if I have a drain yet but will know later on this evening when I try to crank it.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:46 am

I got to thinking and I had to replace my 1st 1 wire alt. it was bad out of the box. Im running these things on everything from old farm tractors to dump trucks with no issues, but it may be luck of the draw, the components are made who knows where. I just did a quick search and came up with a source for the kits here.
    http://www.alternatorkit.com/one_wire_kit.html
    Jegs also has some listed. In no way am I saying 1 wires are better,, they just eliminate some wiring and sore spots.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:19 am

Just checked my battery and it was dead. Leaving the wire plugged into the alt going to the battery killed it dead. My van came from the factory with a generator and some one changed it over to a one wire alternator before I got it. I never had any problems with it until a week or so ago so I guess that the internal regulator has went bad. I guess I will have to breakdown and buy a rebuild kit or a new alternator.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:32 pm

HandiVanMan wrote:Just recently been having the same problem on my 69 gmc van. I have had it for almost 2 years and have been running a 1 wire alternator on it. I had no charging problems up until about a couple of weeks ago. Then it started only occasionally charging and finally quit charging at all. It is wired up with a hot wire going from the back of the alternator to the positive post on the battery. I hooked up a wire from the #1 on top of the alternator and ran it to the positive post on the battery and it is now charging. I couldn't tell if I have a drain yet but will know later on this evening when I try to crank it.

If you hook #1 to the battery, IT WILL KILL THE BATTERY OVERNIGHT,,,,,it needs to go to the ignition switch, through the idiot light or a resistor,,,,,
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks for the help I will try that next before I go buy a new alternator.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:41 pm

An ALLEGED 1 wire only needs #3 hooked up to the battery,,,and the engine needs to be revved up for it to start charging,,,,,now a 3rd Gen GM Alternator needs 3 wires hooked to it to charge,,,,so decide what you got or what you want,,,,,,

electrical issues! - Page 2 3rd_ge23

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 1:05 pm