VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
64chevy
donivan65
G-Man
7 posters

electrical/heat issues, maybe???

electrical/heat issues, maybe??? Empty electrical/heat issues, maybe???

Post by Guest Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:04 pm

MAybe someone knows what's up with this situation. I replaced my starter, battery, cables and alternator. Van runs like a champ...until it gets good and warmed up and I turn it off. then it doesn't want to start....or even make any sounds like the starter is even getting the message. It happened again today, at the gas station. I pumped the gas and hopped back in...nothing. There's power at the switch...lights, gauges, etc. Just no start up action at all. I sat there and let it get cooled down to about 190, then it fired right up, no problem. Any idea what's goin on?

thanks.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

electrical/heat issues, maybe??? Empty Re: electrical/heat issues, maybe???

Post by G-Man Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:14 pm

You may need a heat shield for your starter, that a common problem. I fixed mine by going with a mini starter
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:23 pm

Sounds like a typical GM starter to me,,,,,,suffers from heat soak,,,,,,, They even had a service bulletin for it,,,,put a softer spring inside the solenoid,,,,,But the only cure is to put a relay in the system,,, both my vans have them. The problem is the voltage has to go from the big terminal on the starter solenoid, all the way to the ignition switch, through the connectors, then through the contacts back through the connectors and possible safety neutral switch to the S terminal on the starter solenoid to crank the starter,,,,,and its just too tired to do it especially when the starter is hot. All I am is saying that jump from the big battery cable on the solenoid to the S, (inner) small terminal to energize the starter,,,,,try it when it is hot,,,,,I have had to lay a 12 volt fan under the starter while I gas up to cool it off so it will start before i started making new friends by blocking the gas pumps.

electrical/heat issues, maybe??? Cheb_s10
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:04 pm

Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see an extra relay in the picture. Only the starter solenoid. Where's the extra relay get mounted and what is it? Maybe a Ford starter solenoid?

This happens to me once in awhile but I just open the doghouse and reach in with my never leave home without it crescent wrench and short out the terminals.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:20 pm

There is not one on that picture from the Blue No Door,,,,,however, you can see the white resistor wire and the yellow wire on the R terminal ,,,,,,,You want to send the power from #3 to #4,,,,,put a starter button on them,,,,,or a relay,,,,,any kind of relay,,,,I have one off a motorcycle on my van,,,,you can use those Ford ones,,,,,,or those little black driving light relays,,,,,,mount them anywhere near the starter,,,,,,run a wire from the bat terminal and ground if necessary,,,,the wire on the #4 which is the S terminal activates the relay, and run a wire back to that #4 terminal which is the load,,,this will send full battery voltage to crank the starter,,,,,
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:43 pm

They used to sell a "HIGH HEAT" starter. Used them with headers and other hotter applications.

Seems they still should sell them.
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:13 pm

electrical/heat issues, maybe??? Tn4_1431674
    This is what I used to rid myself of the same problem and have been totally satisfied! This is a great price as I paid somewhere in the vicinity of $200 when I bought mine years back!!
    http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Items/Item.aspx?SKU=SDR0031+/+PM300+-+6562&caSKU=SDR0031+/+PM300+-+6562&caTitle=NEW+Chevy+305+350+454+Mini+Racing+PMGR+Starter+HT+PM300+SDR0031

Post by Guest Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:39 pm

First of...thanks everyone for the help!

O.k....so, BvrWally, is the one you linked the exact one needed for say a 250? Also...what makes this one solve the issues?

Next...you think AutoZone would take back the one I just bought, and installed, last week?
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Post by BvrWally Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:49 pm

Well mine is installed on a V-8 327 but I believe they fit either make of engine? I think Auto zone should take it back, provided you kept the receipt? I'd explain to them that it just did not work with the engine compartment heat issue. These starters are designed for the strip and engines with headers which heat up everything under our type of vans. I love mine! I went through @ 6 starters till I located the "Heat Soak" issue from an old drag racer friend! I then purchased this starter and never had a problem again, and that has been 20 years ago! There listing (DB Electrical)doesn't say anything about 6 cylinder applications, but I'd give them a call at 800-753-2242 and ask them about it!
    B.W.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks, I'll call 'em for sure!

So...were the old starters just built better and able to avoid this issue when they were newer?
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Post by BvrWally Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:18 am

I did not have any problems at all....UNTIL I "Introduced" Headers into the picture!!! Their heat alone, started me on the road to learning to change starters at a regular interval!!!!! I carried spares with me at all times, until I finally figured out the problem! Hot starts were out of the question! "Playing it Forward".....I was at a local Swap Meet in Canfield, Ohio years back, and there was this Awesome 40 Ford with a 350 in it. The guy was trying to start it for someone that was interested in purchasing it. Well He had just started it a little bit earlier. When he went to start it the second time, no luck. He was dumbfounded? I walked over and saw the headers, I said to him;" Either get a mini-torque starter, or place a "Heat Shield" on your starter". The starter has Heat Soak! He was very greatfull as he was stupified as to what was causing his problem??? lol
    B.W. Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:41 am

Another thing that makes it worse is voltage loss,,,,, that S terminal wire has a lot of roadblocks to go through before the voltage can flow. Put a voltmeter on the S terminal and see how much of the 12 volts from the battery is actually getting to that terminal when you are cranking the engine,,,,,,,,
    crazee

Post by crazee Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:20 am

Look about middle of page-------->

HOT START/BUMP
    START SOLENOID KIT

http://www.fastpts.com/hazel-doc/taylor.html

CHEAP SOLUTION........Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:09 am

Lets see if this useless photo hosting service we use will post this picture today,,,,,

electrical/heat issues, maybe??? Ford_r13

electrical/heat issues, maybe??? Ford_r14

Last edited by donivan65 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:08 pm

Assuming your starter is in good shape, the problem is with the old factory wiring. The factory wires were small to begin with, and also it was a bad design by GM. When the wires get hot, the resistance increases. The starter requires more power than the wires can move through them when they are hot. The solution is to re-wire the starter circuit with a Ford style starter solenoid (or relay, if you prefer to call it that). The stock wiring now only activates the Solenoid/relay, and all the juice goes through the Relay, not through the weak/small stock wiring anymore. I just went through this on a '67 Firebird.

rewire the starter cicuit as shown here:

either like this:

electrical/heat issues, maybe??? Solenoid02

or like this with a jumper wire on the starter:

electrical/heat issues, maybe??? Ford-Solenoid

Both ways of wiring will work.

I used the top style wiring because on the firebird we have a trick aftermarket starter with a permanent magnet that can be damaged by running a jumper wire and shorting the 'S" post to the main batt post on the starter. On a usual style factory start, you can do this no problem (the 2nd diagram) and then you have only one large wire going down to the starter.

Either way, use heavy gauge wires and solder all connections. This will cure all starter 'heat soak' problems! I got the Ford Solenoid/Relay from the Local NAPA. I asked for a starter Solenoid for an older Ford mustang or truck... something that would have had points on it. Ask for the Echlin brand, its more expensive, about $22 but it is made in USA and is a quality product.

Note: the "I" terminal on the ford solenoid and also on the GM starter is used to provide full 12 volts to the coil during starting. This wire is not required if you have eliminated your old points systems and converted to HEI.
    crazee

Post by crazee Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:50 pm

What I liked about the link I posted was the starter solinoid had a nice "bump start" button on it (built in).

An added perk for tune ups and such.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:34 pm

Actually this $15 Honda fan takes care of my heat soak, carb boil over, gas smell, and anytime the coolant temperature may rise on my van,,,,,,,I would not leave home with out it,,,,,,,

electrical/heat issues, maybe??? Pictur12
    crazee

Post by crazee Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:34 pm

Guess that V8 rad in mine hooked to the six banger keeps mine from having over heat issues.

Actually............I've never had this problem with any Ford or Chevy van I ever had.
    hmmmmmmmmmmm............
    LUCKY???????
    OR ??????????

Post by Guest Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:19 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the help. I'm gonna jump on this info early next week. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:25 pm

Well...the heat shield didn't do anything positive. In fact, today, I had more issues when I took the van out for a long drive. It did it's usual thing the first time I let it sit after driving it for a bit. THEN, it made some crazy noise, from the solenoid. We got it jumped, but it's dead in the driveway. Maybe the regulator? I'm gonna replace that AND the coil...that should round out the electrical system. We're (my buddy Eric and myself) also gonna run the bump start situation. Gonna get a new, bigger radiator, too. I was hoping to start workin on the external appearances of the van, but it looks like I'm just gonna work on the engine, then get the interior squared away...............
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:14 pm

The 1st thing you need to do is put a voltmeter in it so you know if the battery is charged and the charging system is working,,,,,,then start on the other problems,,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:31 am

will do...thanks.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:37 pm

Is this the Echlin one you bought?

electrical/heat issues, maybe??? Pictur12
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:18 pm

yeah Scott, that looks just like the one I used... the one I bought says "made in USA" stamped right into it, and I sure like using parts made in America if I can get them. Your local Napa counter guy may be able to get you a little better price, so its worth asking. He gave me a military discount, but I know they can do other discounts as well...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:26 pm

This looks like it would be a nice clean installation,,,,,might even turn into my favorite Ford part,,,,,,,

electrical/heat issues, maybe??? A_rela10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:35 pm