VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
donivan65
sasktrini
Sy Hollinshead
Rayallen
8 posters

electrical issues!

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

electrical issues! Empty electrical issues!

Post by Rayallen Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:47 pm

Ok guys as some know i have changed the starter solenoid along with a starter motor and alternator.

Problem- the van is not taking to the new solenoids. Bought one from RockAuto that lasted a couple of days and went out. Bought another one last night from Advanced Autoparts and its only making a clicking noise. What the heck is going on?
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

electrical issues! Empty Re: electrical issues!

Post by Rayallen Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:51 pm

I should note I tested the battery and its reading 12v.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:16 pm

A nearly dead battery will still read 12v. You can always test whether a solenoid is faulty by bridging the 2 big terminals with something big and metal, like a spanner. Sounds like you have other issues, i doubt whether 2 new relays can be faulty so soon.
    You may find that the battery has enough power left in it to close the relay (the click you can hear) but not enough to start the engine.
    There are numerous things that it could be, but as i said, a faulty relay can easily be tested. If bridging the relay makes no difference then the relay is fine...
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Have to be careful that the terminals don't rotate in the solenoid housing. Maybe you have a weak signal coming from the ignition switch, or it's grounding out somewhere?

I would say to disconnect the cable between the solenoid and starter at the solenoid, and use a jumper wire from the battery to the signal terminal (one coming from the ignition switch. It should click strong. If not, bad ground on the other little terminal? If it clicks stronger than from just turning the key, look for a problem in the signal wire (chafed and grounding against the body?).
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm

I would go with the JUMP ACROSS THE 2 BIG TERMINALS ON THE STARTER RELAY idea,,,,,that bypasses all the circuits on the van,,,,,,if that don't make the starter crank, you have a bad starter, bad cables, or bad battery,,,,,,so do that test 1st,,,,,and use something big to jump across them like jumper cables,,,,that will be around 200 amps trying to go through there,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:15 pm

The solenoid ground is done thru the bracket it uses to mount with. make sure those surfaces are in contact well and grounded to the chassis and thru to the battery. Like Corey said you should be able to jump from the signal wire from the key to the + bat post on the solenoid to activate it.
    No Offense guys , because I have done it myself , the act of arcing the main posts can be somewhat destructive if done wrong.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:33 pm

,,,,,,but you really need to verify that the starter, cables and battery are doing their job 1st before you mess with the relay and all its wiring,,,,,you are wasting your time messing with that relay if the cables, starter and battery are not doing their job,,,,if it passes this test, then we go mess with the relay, its ground, its wiring,,,,ignition switch,,,safety neutral switch if it has one,,,,
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Could be a bad starter I have bought brand new ones and rebuilt ones and got bad ones. I would suggest that you check all of your wire connections and cables from the battery to the starter and if they are all tight and look good then I would try to cross it out to see if it starts like Donavan said. If nothing pull it off and take it to advance or autozone and have them bench test it. I had problems with my 69 Handi Van cranking yesterday and found bad wiring and cables. I replaced all of them and she's firing right up now.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:56 pm

thanks guys for all the info. Removed the battery and its plugged into a battery charger for the night. The reading were telling my its pretty damn drained, although I was getting a 12v reading from my meter. Thanks for the tip Sy.

After the battery charges I will see where I stand. If that winds up being the problem I think the new alternator my have drained the battery.

I post tomorrow night what I figure out.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Even then if they test it on the machine, there is no guarantee that it will crank your engine,,,,,it only takes 50 amps to spin a starter, 200 for it to spin an engine,,,,and there might be a bad spot on the starter armature that the starter just happens to stop on,,,,so there are a lot of variables to consider,,,,having the battery load tested, then starter draw tested would probably something that Autozone or someone would do for free for you in their parking lot,,,,,Maybe you got a charging system problem and it weakens your battery and that is the cause of all your problems,,,,,
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:20 pm

I borrowed my neighbors batter charger and it read as just about completely drained.

One thing that i have never happened before. After installing all the new components a few days ago I took the van for a spin. When I got home and removed the key for some reason the dash gen light stayed on for a good while before going off. Had never happened before the installation of the new starter and alternator..
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Ok,,,,then you need to test for a DRAIN,,,,,undo a battery cable, hook a 12 volt test light between that cable and its post you just took it off,,,,IF,,,,the light in the tester comes on,,,,YOU HAVE A DRAIN,,,,juice is flowing out of that battery and it will go dead,,,,,
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks Donivan I will give that ago after the battery is charged and post what my findings are.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:18 pm

Ray= didnt you just put a new alternator on the van also??
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:36 pm

yes I did, Im thinking that was the culprit that drained the battery....
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:58 pm

I just had the same thing in my 89 Astro, caused by a battery cable touching the engine block. Voltmeter read 12V with the engine running, new battery and new alt. Re-routed the battery cable, and got 14-15V.

I do agree that battery cables to jumper the two large terminals will tell you right away if the starter and battery cables are good.

My test will tell you if the starter solenoid is working. You said you replaced it. I found if I wasn't careful, and was not using a backup wrench when tightening the wires and cables on, the bolts would rotate. Inside, they are keyed with a flat side that both contact a disc that the solenoid current uses to pass the battery current to the starter. If the contacts are rotated, then the disc will not likely touch both contacts when the solenoid is energized. I never had to worry about that with a modern starter with the integral solenoid. But these relays gave me a few fits until I realized what was happening. Sharing my misfortune in case it helps.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Now if you are saying that the idiot light did not go out after you shut off the engine, then you have a voltage regulator problem causing all this misery,,,,,
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Ok I have charged the battery and its reading at 13volts. I have hooked it up and I do have a drain. I am positive the alternator is to blame considering its the only thing that is any different that what it was before the problem started. I think a new voltage regulator should take care of the problem. Any advice on a replacement aftermarket regulator? After the regulator all electrical components will be replaced besides the wires/harness its self.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Hook the test light to the battery cable and IF the light comes on,,,unplug the regulator and see if the light goes out,,,,undo the output wire on the alternator and check the light,,,,that test light needs to be out when everything is off,,,,undo the other wires on the alternator,,,,do you have wires mixed up?,,,,pull fuses,,,,see what puts out the light,,,,and,,,hows that starter relay doing,,,,it probably works now,,,,,
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:10 pm

This is quickly becoming a huge pain in the ass. Turned the key and the new starter motor clicked and started smoking ...... Guess its fried now.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:29 pm

Sounds about right to me,,,,FORD stands for
    Fix Or Repair Daily,,,,I don't have too much faith in rebuilts,,,,you got to work all the kinks out of the van until you got something safe and dependable,,,,I think if you take the starter back they will give you another and another and another,,,,there is nothing you did to kill that starter,,,,it just needs battery put to it and it turns,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:00 am

I dont know the history of your Battery ,but that still could be the culprit. Have you had the battery load tested? This a real handy thing to have around. I have picked up a couple of them over the years at yard sales even for 5$.
    electrical issues! Load_t10
    This one is listed in Harbor freight for 25 i think.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:13 am

Sounds like you are having a nightmare with this van.
    You definitely appear to have something wrong somewhere, but i can't think why you would have a smoking starter motor. Unless the battery cables have been connected the wrong way at some point. That would definitely cause the alternator/regulator to fry, as well as a starter motor.
    You need to eliminate the problems one at a time. Disconnecting things one at a time should help to eliminate whatever is draining the battery. Also, i would take the starter motor off and bench test it just to see whether it works with no load to start with. A new starter motor shouldn't be casuing you problems unless it is just faulty, but they are usually tested before being sold.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:19 am

Check the voltage at the battery AS you crank the starter,,,,,,if the voltage is below 10, that would cause the starter to smoke because it would be drawing excessive amps to compensate for the low voltage to get that starter to turn.......
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:25 pm

put the old starter back on and it cranked over but is grinding a little bit on start. I am sending the one I bought back to the store for a refund. Will buy a new one after the holidays. Still have not figured out where the drain is coming from. For now Im just leaving the battery cables off untill I have time to figure that out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:26 am