VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
veefre
delux68
6 posters

"dad's 67" running really rough after huge backfire

delux68

Number of posts : 23
    Registration date : 2010-10-18

"dad's 67" running really rough after huge backfire Empty "dad's 67" running really rough after huge backfire

Post by delux68 Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:29 am

let me start off of by saying that i know nothing about 60's American cars. with that out of the way ill start at the beginning. Dads van was running pretty good with a very rhythmic idle surge that wasn't causing any problems. the P.O. didn't extend the exhaust all the way to the back and we were getting some bad fumes so we went to the junkyard and picked up another exhaust. we attached it with two mufflers inline thinking that it would be ok. (i thought that because a lot of newer cars have that setup) a muffler shop also told us it would be ok to have the two mufflers inline.

A few weeks go by with no no fumes, no problems, then we are driving along and smelling this horrible rotting smell. after a while we stop and figure out its the battery boiling over causing the smell. at that point we needed a jump to continue our trip. we get a jump, get back on the road and a few miles later theres a huge backfire and the engine shuts off. since or battery is dead we can't start it and require a tow truck. we get it home and see that one of the mufflers is puffed up out of shape. Dad removes the second muffler and tubing and we are left with the short exhaust we started with.

As of now the van starts but idles really rough, spits, and sputters, and backfires. it will stay running without holding the throttle down. we noticed that the exhaust is loose where the header meets the exhaust piping also.

my question is where do we start?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by delux68 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors)
    veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

"dad's 67" running really rough after huge backfire Empty Re: "dad's 67" running really rough after huge backfire

Post by veefre Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:53 am

I'd guess at this point the entire fuel/carb/air intake/valve/cylinder/exhaust/electrical systems need a thorough going-over.

Check the engine oil. See if it's contaminated with raw gas.

Check the breather hose from the crankcase to the airbox.

Check the PCV valve.

Check/rebuild the carb to make sure it's not forcing the motor to run too rich.

Check the air filter... is it clogged?

Check the distributor/timing. Is it retarded?

Check the valve lash adjustment. You didn't say if it was a six or eight.

Check the alternator/voltage regulator/charging system.

Check the engine compression.

Check the engine cylinders' ability to hold pressure (leakdown test)

Check that the original exhaust system isn't clogged.

Check the exhaust header heat riser valve, if present (my '67 V8 has one). These can freeze up and cause rough running on a regular basis.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

"dad's 67" running really rough after huge backfire Empty Re: "dad's 67" running really rough after huge backfire

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:25 pm

Look for some clues,,,,,pull the spark plugs,,,,,see how they look and if they all look the same,,,,,make sure the points are adjusted correctly,,,,,you really should have new points, condenser, rotor, cap, wires and spark plugs on it,,,,,check to see if the centrifugal and vacuum advance is working correctly,,,,,probably the carb flooded out and back fired,,,,and now its leaking and flooding the engine at idle,,,,,,see if there is gas leaking down in the carb after you let it idle for a few minutes,,,,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Ill go with donnivans suggestions-happy vannin
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

"dad's 67" running really rough after huge backfire Empty points & such

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:28 pm

Ill go with donnivans suggestions-happy vannin
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:05 pm

My list is just to get you started,,,,all that stuff that Veefre posted is something that everyone should be doing to keep you on the road and find out exactly what you got. And you really should be finding out what you got when you get an old vehicle. That loose exhaust pipe probably sucked in air and lit off the overly rich mixture and blew up the muffler. You need to take a voltage reading on that battery to see if the voltage regulator or wiring is putting out over 15 volts....
    delux68

Post by delux68 Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:40 pm

thanks for all the suggestions, it's a 230 six, i'm not new to old cars, just old American cars. the battery has been replaced. the plugs, distrubutor cap, and wires were changes a few hundred miles ago by dad but he didn't check the gap.

is there a good shop manual for the 67 van that i could buy anywhere?

what should the timing be at? where is the PCV valve? what should the compression be?

unrelated but, the rear pumpkin seal is leaking and needs to be replaced, when i asked about a new seal at the auto parts store, they asked what size it is in inches, how do i find that out? the body tag in the back right corner says "H024 3.36" but is ripped after that.

thanks again
    delux68

Post by delux68 Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:42 pm

i also wanted to mention that someone told dad that it could be the voltage regulator or coil that caused the battery to overheat, any thoughts on that?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Is the battery really dead or did the fusible link blow? Did the battery short out or voltage regulator kill it? You need to run tests,,,,,What size engine do you have? the rear end is the smallest one, they should have a listing for that 2400 lb capacity rear end,,,,,,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:45 pm

"dad's 67" running really rough after huge backfire Tune_u11
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:58 pm

All kinds of REAL chassis Service and Overhaul manuals on EBay,,,,or there are those little Chilton or Haynes ones,,,,,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-CHEVROLET-ORIGINAL-10-20-30-40-50-60-TRUCK-SERVICE-SHOP-REPAIR-MANUAL-67-/380372188726?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&vxp=mtr&hash=item588ff2fe36
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:08 pm

delux68

Post by delux68 Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:57 am

wow thanks donovan, big help. that old battery is gone. it smelled like rotten eggs and sounded like it was boiling inside with steam shooting out of the sides. i googled and read that when the battery overheats, smells like rotten eggs, and steams it's because the voltage regulator has failed.

i also think i found the right size gasket based on the "H024" part of the tag. rockauto.com shows only one gasket for the "H024" rear end as the 10 bolt and it looks different from the other one.

the engine is the 230

looking at the 9th line from the bottom of that scanned page, for the 230 engine, is "CP" crank pully? is "4B" 4 degrees before TDC? where is the fuseable link?

thanks for all your patience and for answering my questions
    delux68

Post by delux68 Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:31 am

just ordered the two factory manuals from the ebay seller, thanks for the link.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:34 am

There is nothing better than hearing that a sick Chevy Van is feeling better,,,,then we try to make it safer and more dependable,,,,CP is Crankcase Pulley, VD is Vibration Dampner,,,,,kinda the same thing,,,,just as long as you find the notch and the numbers,,,,4 Degrees is 2 lines ABOVE the 0 which is Top Dead Center,,,,,they put a special wire with solder in it so that WHEN, not IF, any hot wire shorts out, the solder melts, it disconnects the battery from the van,,,,,only 2nd Gens, 1967-70 have it, Our 1st Gens, 1964-66 just burn up,,,,so its a REAL GOOD THING to put on EVERYTHING! You can find it on the starter solenoid, it will be the small wire hooked to the terminal that the positive battery cable is hooked to.....but you will know if it is bad,,,,,there will be no power inside the van at all,,,
    delux68

Post by delux68 Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:53 pm

Instaled a new voltage regulator today. pulled one of the plugs and it was black but no carbon build up, and also a little oily.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:02 am

That plug would tell me its running very rich. I bet that major back fire rupchured a gasket in the carberetor and its possible now sucking gas through a back carb gasket which of course will mean the mixtur is notonly very rich but uncontrolled which would explain the rough running.

M1D
    delux68

Post by delux68 Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:00 pm

Today i took the carb off (a Carter YF), and separated the top from the middle section. I didn't disassemble it any further, I just was checking for anything obvious. I sprayed it out with carb cleaner and it's a little cleaner but not spotless. The gasket looked to be in good shape still and I reassembled everything and reinstalled it.

I also was curious about the timing and loosened the distributor so I could adjust it to see if I could make it idle better. It starts and it does idle better sometimes but when I push the throttle it spits, sputters and dies. There is also a pretty bad fuel leak coming from the bottom of the carb now, I didn't touch anything down there, just sprayed it.

The two things that did change is that a small brass needle came out when I turned over the middle part of the carb body. I found where it goes and put it back in. and I removed the idle vent assembly thinking it had to come off to separate the two parts, I counted the turns to remove it and screwed it in the same number of turns.

We don't have a timing gun or multimeter here so i can't really do those checks. Dad says hes gonna take it to a mechanic. This is annoying.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:08 pm

best weak on the I can suggest is what dad says - Im susposing (not By anyway condeming) the experience is a little lacking in the mechanical knowledge area?? Dont consider this a pun - as wever all been there a time or 10 & all have had to build out experiences. Maybe you have a friend @ work that is mechanical with this stuff?? The very 1st thing id suggest is to check dwell(points) opening, spark plugs & firing order. Then also id look at flooding (gas issues) and carb?? Backfire ususlly is from a bad spark plug, points bad, or lean(lack of fuel) in carb to run. Even spark plug wires?? Heck if I were near you id come over & help -It does get flustrating for all of us at times.
    delux68

Post by delux68 Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:20 pm

i agree, i know nothing about this van. it is so simple that it seems that it should be easier to diagnose. I've owned many old vw's and a bunch of newer cars and have always tried to do my own work. I do have some mechanical knowledge. I'd rather take it to a mechanic too, but I like to try to fix things myself first. its not my money paying the mechanic anyway.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:40 pm

If you have a flat spot on acceleration, that sounds like the accelerator pump in the carb is bad,,,,the pump is vacuum assisted so if the diaphram cracks, it will suck gas and you will get a hesitation as well as gas leaks,,,,So,,,,next step would be to slap a carburetor kit in it and see what happens,,,,,,

"dad's 67" running really rough after huge backfire Yf_spe10
    delux68

Post by delux68 Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:08 pm

didn't think about the accelerator pump diaphragm, and that is where is leaking from. thanks.

if we wanted to replace the entire carb with a new or rebuilt one, what would be a good choice?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Them there 6 cylinder vans came with 3 different carbs,,,,most 2nd Gens came with Rochester MonoJets,,,,

"dad's 67" running really rough after huge backfire Carbz11
    delux68

Post by delux68 Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:09 am

is one better than another?
    thanks
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:24 am

delux68 wrote:is one better than another?
    thanks

They all work pretty good if their rebuilt & adjusted correctly. I've been using the Rochester "B" for years on the L6's with great success.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

"dad's 67" running really rough after huge backfire Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:58 am