VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
donivan65
AZ SuperVan
Econolove
7 posters

Starts running rough after about 20 minutes

Econolove
    Econolove

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2014-10-13

Starts running rough after about 20 minutes  Empty Starts running rough after about 20 minutes

Post by Econolove Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:19 pm

Hey Everyone,
    New issue I wanted some input on. Got the van completely rewired and everything seems to be working well. We've been going on some longer runs with it (running errands, multiple stops) and now we have a new issue. After about 20 minutes of run time at highway speed it begins to sputter a bit. Mostly noticable when at a stoplight or pulling away from a stoplight. Feels like a misfire or fuel starved? It hasnt left us stranded yet but today we cruised for about an hour and I was wondering if we were going to make it home. Since its only happening when the engine warms up im planning on replacing the coil first. I know in motorcycles this issue is a sign that a coil may be going bad. Anything else to check?  Ill probably replace all my fuel filters and fuel pump as well this weekend.  
    Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Here's a picture from today.
    Starts running rough after about 20 minutes  20150415
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2013-09-12

Starts running rough after about 20 minutes  Empty Re: Starts running rough after about 20 minutes

Post by AZ SuperVan Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:07 pm

If you turn it off and wait 2 or 3 minutes and then restart it and it runs good, it is probably not the coil. It probably is the fuel filter. The filter will get jammed up and then when you shut down it back flows enough to free it up momentarily. I don't know the history of your van or what mods you have made. What are you running for ignition?
    Econolove
    Econolove

Starts running rough after about 20 minutes  Empty Re: Starts running rough after about 20 minutes

Post by Econolove Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:28 pm

points and a 6v coil right now. Going to upgrade to the pertronix system soon. If I start it up just a few minutes later its better but still sputters and gets progressively worse much quicker than a cold start.
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Post by AZ SuperVan Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:45 pm

Check the fuel filter. If it is the filter, the time to rough running and then stalling will get shorter and shorter. It might not ever kill it, but it will be so fuel starved that it runs like crap.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:10 pm

Put a piece of clear tubing or fuel filter between the fuel pump and carburetor,,,,,,,see if the fuel flow starts acting up as you have problems,,,,,,,,also,,,,,shut it off when it acts up,,,,see if you got a puddle of gas down in the carb from flooding out,,,,,,, you need to find some clues,,,,,
    Econolove
    Econolove

Post by Econolove Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:57 pm

I'll put the clear fuel filter between the pump and the carb back on it tomorrow so i can watch the flow and I'll also change the main fuel filter. Im getting closer to getting this van running really well. I cant wait until this thing becomes a reliable runner.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:41 pm

i can not speak for the econo's but the dodge's have a sock on the fuel line in the tank i't may be there as well if ford is the same ??

Number of posts : 798
    Registration date : 2014-10-14

Post by GMman Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:44 am

Sounds like it could be vapor lock.  Do you have metal fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb? Do what Donivan said. Get some clear braided fuel line and install it from the pump to the carb. Any pvc line like this will work. http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=HPpvc025-100ft&kpid=HPpvc025-100ft&gclid=CObhzKLUm8UCFVg8gQodGhQAaw
    Econolove
    Econolove

Post by Econolove Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:08 pm

I've got a metal line from the pump to the carb.there is a short piece of rubber line which I'll replace with some clear. I see a lot of talk about clothespins on the metal lines between the pump and the carb somehow helping. Might try this as well.
    Econolove
    Econolove

Post by Econolove Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Another question. Can the coil be mounted outside of the doghouse near the battery so that it avoids heat. Mine is currently held on the bracket directly to the engine. It seems like moving it somewhere cooler would help.
    GMman
    GMman

Number of posts : 798
    Registration date : 2014-10-14

Post by GMman Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:34 pm

Clothes pins on the metal fuel line??? Disconnect the metal line from the carb and put a length of flexible line on the metal line and into a coffee can or suitable container. crank over the engine and see how much and how strong the gas is flowing. Also check if the fuel looks dirty or milky. If everything looks good bypass the metal line with the flexible line and a clear fuel filter. Get everything up to operating temperature and check fuel flow again. Make sure that you are getting fuel. If you are then start checking the ignition system. I don't know if you have a ballast resistor or a resistance wire to your coil. It could be that. Coils are usually good or bad, no in-between.
    Econolove
    Econolove

Post by Econolove Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:59 pm

Currently I have a resistance wire. I have the correct ballast resistor if needed.
    Clothes pins seem to be some sort of fix for vapor lock. Apparently it's been used for years with success, it's even recommended in a few places on this forum.
    Das Boot
    Das Boot

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2013-01-29

Post by Das Boot Fri May 01, 2015 6:59 am

Clothes pins act as a heat sink and help pull heat out of the fuel line.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri May 01, 2015 8:42 am

You guys willlearn!! The old guys remember stuff that worked =long ago! Also - when you use those clothes pins - you can hang those damp undies on the clothes pins to =DRY!!affraid cheers lol! lol! lol! Twisted Evil see== 2 problems solved @ once!!
    Econolove
    Econolove

Post by Econolove Fri May 01, 2015 10:36 am

I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can from the old timers. Theres is some real valuable information floating around on this site. I appreciate all the help i've been given and hopefully one day I can help someone else out here.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri May 01, 2015 12:58 pm

just from me =Thanx. cheers
    Econolove
    Econolove

Post by Econolove Wed May 06, 2015 1:43 pm

Well I havent had a chance to run her in a few days but I have made some progress. I replaced both fuel filters and all rubber fuel lines on the van. The filter between the fuel pump and the tank had a bit of fine rusty metal in it. I rerouted the metal fuel line as far away from the engine as possible and put a clear fuel filter and a fuel pressure gauge inline to the carb...What fuel pressures should I be looking for? Engine is a 200ci inline 6.  I also replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat and radiator lines. Flushed the engine out until everything ran clear. Hoping to get my highway temp down, gets as high as 210-215 when Im doing 60 for a while on an 80 degree day. Also going to use some of that water wetter stuff and see if that helps. Hopefully I'll get a chance to run her this weekend.
    Starts running rough after about 20 minutes  20150510Starts running rough after about 20 minutes  20150511
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed May 06, 2015 2:29 pm

fuelo pressure - 4-8 psi - now -Good advice!!+ GET RID OF THAT CLEAR FILTER!!!!!!!!! NOW!! Those are only FIRE HAZZARDS!! weve herein had a few people that lost vans due to those clear filters!! The fuel tanks are generally the reason for fine rust!! Forget that water wetter stuff!! waste of $$ !! Remember - when these vans were new -no one had cooling problems - so look @ radiator or replacement! & add a shroud! Install a cooling fan in the doghouse to remove the heat =Helps!! Good to have done the work so far on hoses & lines & such!! cheers
    Econolove
    Econolove

Post by Econolove Wed May 06, 2015 3:46 pm

I had a metal filter in there but a few people suggested putting a clear one in to watch what the fuel flow was doing since that may be causing the problems im having. It is a new 3 core aluminum radiator and I bought an electric fan but it doesnt fit. Ill have to move the radiator forward, but if i were to use it to remove heat from the doghouse instead where would be the best place to mount it?

Also Is fine dust anything to be worried about?
    AZ SuperVan
    AZ SuperVan

Post by AZ SuperVan Wed May 06, 2015 3:56 pm

The fine dust is the worst. It gets past the filter into the jets and emulsion tubes in the carb. It can also plug the filter up without it looking plugged.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:33 am