VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Twinpilot001
Casimier
SDEconoTruck
donivan65
8 posters

Running rough under a load

Running rough under a load Empty Running rough under a load

Post by Guest Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:47 pm

Hello
    Just replaced the exhuast manifold on my 64 E-van it was runing great prior to this. When i bought the manifold it came with a cast iron insert, after getting it back together I took it for a test drive. It would not accelerate smoothly jerking back and forth until I pulled the choke out a little. I tried adjusting the air mixture still no luck? I removed the manifold and took out the insert, and still it still will not run right? Starts right up idles revs up fine just when driving in gear under a load it acts up with the choke out a little it will accelerate?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Rally72
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Running rough under a load Empty Re: Running rough under a load

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:27 pm

If it runs better with the choke out, you probably got a vacuum leak,,,,,did you mess with the intake manifold at all? Spray carb cleaner down the carb and see if the engine runs better,,,,if it does, spray the outside of the carb and intake gasket and see if you can find a spot that the carb cleaner makes the engine run better,,,,,see if any vacuum hose is off or got broken,,,,
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-27

Post by SDEconoTruck Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:56 am

I was gonna say a vac leak, the Governor most likely
    has you on the right track...
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:55 am

Fuel Filter?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:26 pm

bump the distributor? timing? vac advance on dist or line bad or off??

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Wierd thing is it ran fine before the exhaust manifold was replaced? I Had a vacuum leaked fixed and timing set prior to manifold being replaced. I have a inline fuel filter that looks clean, however I did fill the gas tank up for the first time prior to the repair. Does it have another filter in the tank that could be clogged up?
    Rally72
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-14

Post by Big W Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:30 pm

No filter in tank, but there is a screen on the end of the pick up tube on the sending unit. If your screen is gone you may have sucked up some junk and plugged the tube slightly, or your screen could be plugging up also, but not enough to not let it start and idle or even drive at slow speed. Has this tank been cleaned before or is this the first time in years that this tanks been used?
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:28 am

You can check the fuel pump by disconnecting the line to the carb after the pump. Connect a hose and run it into a small container and then turn the engine over on the starter.
    If you have access to a vacuum gauge, you can check the pressure at the manifold to see how the engine is running.

I started my van for the first time after just filling the fuel tank. When the van was running rough, i took the fuel tank out and discovered that the fuel pick up pipe and the fuel sender were completely rotten... Worth a look....
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:10 pm

If your not sure of the fuel source being any good from the tank, try hooking the line from the fuel pump to a gas can or boat tank full of gas and see if the motor runs better at higher speeds. This will eliminate the fuel tank if there is no difference. I ran mine around the yard on a lawnmower tank that I hooked the fuel pump to. Just some suggestions so we can eliminate the fuel tank. But if this tank is original and you have never had it out, I would remove it and check to make sure it's not dirty inside and definitely check the sending unit for rot...as mine was rotten also.
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:19 pm

I no you probably don't want to here this but I will throw it out there anyway.... If your motor was running really well before you changed that manifold and you had not used the fuel tank before this, you may have opened a can of worms. Blockage in the fuel lines from crap in the tank if it got passed the sending unit screen. crap in the fuel pump because of said cause, and hopefully it all stops at a fuel filter before any of this made its way into your carb. Try a seperate fuel supply and see if that helps, at let us no any info on your tank.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:57 pm

So what else did you mess with besides the exhaust manifold,,,,,did you move the carburetor? Does the accelerator pump in the carb work? is that manifold plugged up with something else?

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:43 am

Nothing
    I purchased a meter to check the vacuum hopefully by this weekend I can figure something out.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:10 am

Are the points set right? You could have dirt in the carb,,,,are the spark plug wires tight in the cap?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:58 pm

Are you saying that the van ran fine and a 1/2 hour later after you removed 8 bolts and installed a new exhaust manifold and gasket it ran bad?
    Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

Post by Smallblockbug Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:05 pm

Sounds like the carb was sinked to an engine with a bad exhaust leak. It may need to be retuned with the good gasket. Exhaust leaks have a funny reaction to running sometimes. Hopefully it didnt burn a valve slightly.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:28 pm

This is a longshot especially since you stated that "with the choke out a little it will accelerate"

When I bought my truck it ran ok, had a exhaust leak at the manifold, even though you could see that it was a new gasket it was leaking...I took it apart, put on a new gasket and then when I started it, it ran very bad, would not accelerate and just died, I immediately suspected blocked exhaust because of mice infiltration, pulled the muffler and it was packed full of dog food, completely choking the exhaust off not allowing the engine to run, cleaned out the muffler and voila, ran good. Im just saying...

I seriously doubt you have dog food in your muffler, but I have seen double wall pipes collapse inside, restricting exhaust causing poor performance.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:34 am

Exhaust pipe clear
    But funny you mention dog food I have three dogs, with my luck it could have been dog poop!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am