VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Stupid question number 27: Air filter replacement

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Stupid question number 27:  Air filter replacement Empty Stupid question number 27: Air filter replacement

Post by Lazarusvan Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:33 pm

So I went to O'Reily's yesterday to get a replacement air filter. The previous one was a shorter Purolator and had gotten crushed down a bit by my overtightening the bolt. They didn't have one that matched that size but I got a generic one that is taller but the same circumfrence.

After replacing with a taller one with more air space, would that require any adjustment of the carb? It's at least twice twice as tall as the previous one which seemed pretty small, even when considering the room needed for the DH to close.

It still runs fine, but sounds like it could cut off at idle. When I put it into park running, it idles fine.

Last bit of info is that the new filter is too tall for the threaded rod/nut that is currently in place. The can top is just sort of resting on top and not screwed down. Might that be causing the idle issue?

I purchased a newer 3 foot rod with the proper threads, but I don't want to change it out/cut it down until I know I'm commited to this filter. I tried to get a better quality one but that's all they had.

BTW, she hauls ass just fine. Razz Off the show room floor Mustang was hot rodding in front of me and I dropped her to the floor. First time I ever stomped it. No problems and I'm sure the Mustang was a bit surprised at the old van. Greg did a nice job on the motor...
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Stupid question number 27:  Air filter replacement Empty Re: Stupid question number 27: Air filter replacement

Post by m1dadio Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:43 pm

There could be 1000 reasons the idle is a little rough in gear. But not likely the air filter thing you describe.

m1D

Stupid question number 27:  Air filter replacement Empty Re: Stupid question number 27: Air filter replacement

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:45 pm

Sound like you may have a vacuum leak...

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:33 pm

No such thing as a stupid question
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:33 pm

vanishingbreed wrote:No such thing as a stupid question

Thanks, Mike. I am sure it's Vans 101 for most. This is the area for which I am referring. I can't tighten it down tight as the filter is a 1/4 to 1/2 size taller than previous one. Again, I can cut the new rod I purchased and get it tight, but I'm not really commited to this filter. I wanted a K&M or better quality piece. This was the $6 store brand. Of course, the older gent at the store couldn't find exactly what I needed and I wasn't sure myself. The other filter was not much of a filter.

Didn't notice any issue until replacing it. Could it be from the bottom not being snugly in place based on the second photo (photo isn't showing that but it appears to be the place not getting tightened down. (referring to area just above EB logo where two surfaces meet.)

Also should mention it's burning up a lot of gas in easy pedal driving. I floored it just before getting home for a few hundred feet. It went fine and then when I let off the gas it back fired twice a second later.

Stupid question number 27:  Air filter replacement Filter10

Stupid question number 27:  Air filter replacement Filter11

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 5:12 pm