VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
A100 Wrench
Twinpilot001
FezFro
7 posters

Auto transmission filter and oil replacement help

FezFro
    FezFro

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2013-08-24

Auto transmission filter and oil replacement help Empty Auto transmission filter and oil replacement help

Post by FezFro Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Hey.

first topic. I just picked up my new baby, an '69 A108 with 318 engine and an auto tranny. She runs for the first 5 mins or so and once it warms up close to idle, it would go no where (like if it was in Neutral and you give it gas). The tranny looks original. This is what I think. she needs a new tranny filter. if that didn't do it. rebuild it's.
    This is a VV that I really care about and don't wanna f'up.
    can I get some help about how to change the filter?
    and if my problem with the car not moving seems fimalier to you, please share your thoughts.

Thanks all.
    Auto transmission filter and oil replacement help 10805010
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Auto transmission filter and oil replacement help Empty Re: Auto transmission filter and oil replacement help

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:24 pm

forget the filter -have the tranny looked at !! Except =1st. Verify there is fluid in the tranny=assuming it IS?? an Automatic?? Likely is. fire the engine =check trans fluid level & go from there? is it full?? if so is the fluid burned? check that the linkage from shifter is actually hooked up to the trans shift lever on side of trans??
    A100 Wrench
    A100 Wrench

Number of posts : 572
    Registration date : 2013-05-12

Auto transmission filter and oil replacement help Empty fluid

Post by A100 Wrench Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Remember to check fluid level in neutral.There will almost a two quart difference between park and neutral.Do this first.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Auto transmission filter and oil replacement help Empty Re: Auto transmission filter and oil replacement help

Post by RodStRace Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:14 am

Welcome! Zappa avatar is cool.

As said, check the fluid. at idle in Neutral. Also make sure there is a kickdown (generic name) or Throttle Pressure (correct Mopar name) linkage attached and operating.

Simply changing the fluid can cause a transmission to go from sick to dead. But since yours is already critical provided the level is okay, you can give it a try. It is pretty rare that a fluid and filter change will bring one back. It's often worn seals and friction parts that cause this. Those require disassembly and replacement.

To replace the fluid and filter
    Park it and allow to cool.
    Get a big drain pan and/or a transmission drain adapter.
    Auto transmission filter and oil replacement help JD2436
    Since there is no drain plug on the trans, you must remove the pan while it is still full of fluid (MESSY!).
    Remove the pan bolts and pan. I'd suggest tying rags around your wrists to keep the fluid from running into your armpits while removing these items.

The debris in the bottom of the pan is an indication of trans health. Try to keep the pan horizontal. Tilt it just enough to drain most of the fluid.
    If possible, take the pan to a nearby trans shop so they can look at it for you. There will be metallic particles and little mounds of friction material on the bottom. Some is normal; too much is a death sentance. If this is not possible, look for a good you tube video.
    Auto transmission filter and oil replacement help IMAG0224

The filter is held in with 3 screws. All 3 screws go into the valve body which is aluiminum. Do not overtighten! Also do not worry about little nuts coming loose inside.
    Auto transmission filter and oil replacement help $(KGrHqR,!lQFCy5BELKrBR!cn8qEww~~60_35

There is a small gasket where the filter mates to the valve body. If this is in good shape and stuck to the valve body, leave it alone. If it's damaged, carefully remove it. This often requires a razor blade or scraper against the aluminum. DO NOT gouge or scar the surface!
    Auto transmission filter and oil replacement help 727%20Filter%20Gasket-L-150x170

Wipe off all surfaces with a lint-free towel. You do not want any junk inside the trans.
    Remove any pan gasket from the trans case. Clean the pan completely. Inspect the flange for any damage and for flatness.

Install the filter. Better pan gaskets have a few smaller holes so you can insert bolts to hold it in place, then raise the pan and start the bolts. Get them all started before tightening. Do not overtighten.

Add 3.5 quarts of fluid down the dipstick tube using a funnel. Have at least 2 more quarts handy. Make sure it's Dextron.
    Start the engine with the trans in neutral. While holding the brake, shift through all positions including 1st. Return to Neutral and check the fluid level. You will probably have to repeat this a few times since the tube is coated with fluid from filling. Make sure to check both sides of the stick and only use the lower reading!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:45 am

Welcome to VV!!!
    A100 Wrench
    A100 Wrench

Number of posts : 572
    Registration date : 2013-05-12

Post by A100 Wrench Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:54 pm

If you are going to service it.Look in a service manual and adjust the bands and linkage also.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:51 pm

also =verify the driveshaft is there & hooked up???????????????affraid 
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8728
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:06 pm

I think he's saying it drives for 5 min then stops moving...

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2013-08-24

Post by FezFro Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks a lot guys. truly appreciate the help and the tips.
    I'm glad I finally got to join this community.

A100 Wrench wrote:If you are going to service it.Look in a service manual and adjust the bands and linkage also.
    I'd love to get my hands on one of those.
    is there a pdf copy online that i can download or buy it some where?
    -----------------------------------------
    I took this picture and correct me if i'm wrong.
    the green circle is the transmission fluid, which I should be using Dex merc for it.
    the red circle, is what I think is the power steering pump. (?) and i'm not sure what kind of fluid should go in there. (it's dry!!)
    the picture:
    Auto transmission filter and oil replacement help Rwovua
    gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 474
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

Auto transmission filter and oil replacement help Empty -auto-transmission-filter-and-oil-replacement-help

Post by gary h Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Wow ! ,I have never seen Air Cond. and Power Steering on the same van.I have first Dibbs if you ever want to get rid of either.I would love that set up working on my '68 P/U!Cool
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:53 am

both can use tranny fluids !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill also say - i am not sure of the typr tranny fluid that chrysler spec's?? maybe ford or GM?? i usually always use GM in everything here as it has better lube propertys . The p s pumps have their own type fluids yet as usual more expensive & in lesser quanitys too- yet i always just use same trans fluids in the pumps too!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:41 am

Green = Dextron. It's not usually a problem with GM or Chrysler to add Ford. It's got different friction modifiers and some guys will change over to Ford fluid for harder, firmer shifts. The damage happens when you put GM/Mopar fluid into a Ford. They slip until they fry!

This is all old stuff from the 80s and back. There have been at least 2 major changes since then in formulations. A lot of new fluid will even work in both according to the label.

Chrysler came out with ATF+4 in the mid-80s and messed up on some of the manuals. This caused a bunch of the failures that gave the FWD transmissions such a bad name. Don't get me wrong, they were still not great, but pouring in the wrong fluid killed a bunch of them too.

I've poured plenty of ATF into P/S systems. There is a specific fluid for them. If the system really is dry, I'd try ATF. It is cheaper in bulk and a dry system is a leaking system. The assist systems with the ram are notorious for leaks at the shaft, the hoses, and the ram ends. The pumps can go bad too.

Please post some pics of the parts if you can. These are rare as said.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:51 am

Dude, Love the avatar!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:12 pm