VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+21
Spank
Casimier
white-lightning
Digz
Sy Hollinshead
Vantastic
Vanish
austinmodhouse
econopoor
sasktrini
SDEconoTruck
Barnabas
Army of Six
DanTheVanMan
wirepuller
lectricman
Twinpilot001
G-Man
Big W
EconoCarl
Rayallen
25 posters

Bought a 1964 Econoline today!

EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 Empty Re: Bought a 1964 Econoline today!

Post by EconoCarl Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Rayallen wrote:. . . By the time im done the van will basically have had a complete fuel system over haul.

Better to do it now instead of on the side of the road later! Keep plugging along, it actually does get better!!
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 Empty Re: Bought a 1964 Econoline today!

Post by Rayallen Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:49 pm

yea I agree, glad im getting it done now. Mark a few things of my to do list.

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:52 pm

Speaking of my to do list, cant seem to stop adding things.... Those in red ive done

To do List

1st (Engine/Mechaincal work)
    Clean and seal gas tank
    New fuel Pump
    replace all fuel lines and fuel filter
    rebuild carb
    New radiator
    Replace the generator with a 1 wire alternator
    Still need buy disc and calipers for my front disc brake conversion (already have custom brackets and dual master cylinder from D&D)
    New shocks
    Work on suspension all around
    Replace the stock manifold with Headers
    New muffler and exhaust
    Install a proper oil pressure gauge
    Clutch replacement (1st gear gives me problems from time to time)
    I want to eventually pull the motor and take apart to clean everything and replace all seals. Also allow me to dress and repaint

#2 (Body and interior)
    Sand and coat the entire floor with POR 15
    Plug all open holes with grommets
    replace all old nuts and bolts with stainless
    New seats front and back
    Buy a floor mat/liner
    New door and window seals
    Pop out windows
    New tires and wheels 15x7 in the back 14x6 in the front (not sure on this yet)
    Fat mat sound and heat installation on all walls/doors and the inside of the doghouse (engine bay)
    custom panels for the walls and doors
    New gauges and dash modification
    New stereo
    Nerf bars, instead of bumpers
    Last will be exterior body work and paint (have not decided on paint scheme)

Last edited by Rayallen on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:51 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:33 pm

looks like a good list to me.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:44 am

Fuel system done! clean and rust free fuel tank, New vent hose, new fuel lines, New Fuel pump, rebuilt the carb.

Took her for a drive last night and I can already tell a difference, man the old fuel pump was barely pumping. Motor getting all the fuel it needs now.

Next Radiator, Alternator and exhaust components.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Update

replaced the two rear tires yesterday. I was still rolling on the tires it came with and they were not pretty.

Picking up 2 older leather ford bench seats today from a guy for only $40 for the pair. I know they fit older fords, not sure about the econoline though, but at that price i am going to make them work.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:51 pm

X Mas is already arriving for me. Got my Starter Solenoid and Starter from Rock Auto and my 100amp alternator from Summit Racing. Both arrived today. I love unwrapping my new stuff.

Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 IMG_3748
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 IMG_3751
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 IMG_3749
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:52 pm

My starter solenoid went out and I figured it was time to replace all main electric components
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Got a bit more done and added a few things to the to do list. Everything red has been done.

1st (Engine/Mechaincal work)
    Clean and seal gas tank
    New fuel Pump
    replace all fuel lines and fuel filter
    rebuild carb
    New radiator
    All new hoses
    Replace the generator with a 1 wire alternator
    New Starter Motor
    New Starter Solenoid

Still need buy disc and calipers for my front disc brake conversion (already have custom brackets and dual master cylinder from D&D)
    New shocks
    Work on suspension all around
    Replace the stock manifold with Headers
    New muffler and exhaust
    Install a proper oil pressure gauge
    Clutch replacement (1st gear gives me problems from time to time)
    I want to eventually pull the motor and take apart to clean everything and replace all seals. Also allow me to dress and repaint
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:41 pm

I love the LISTS !! it's fun to check things off. And then when you add things , you get to make a new revised one!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:51 pm

only the price of our toys=diff from boys & men!!
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:58 pm

List let me know I am getting things done. I've also kept every single receipt for every part/bolt&nut. I've bought smart and have been able to keep cost down for the most part. So far every part has been New which it is always nice to see shiny new stuff.

Next big purchase will finally be my aluminum champion radiator and new hoses.
    Shes getting there...
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:55 am

I have been having a lot of fun with the electrics since putting on the new parts. New starter turned out to be dud and it has been returned to the supplier. Old starter still works but is grinding a bit on start. Still have the battery drain, but havnt had a whole lot of times to figure it out do to the holidays. For now I just left the battery off.

Found a good local shop that repairs and fabricates parts for classic american cars. Seem to be good honest guys, they are going to take a look at the van after the holidays and help me sort out this mess. Don't mind paying the $60 a hour to get this headache fixed so I can move on the mechanical stuff that still needs done.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 am

Posted this in the General E Section, but meant to post it here on my showcase.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t26579-my-weekend-econoline-adventure
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:18 am

Most recent pics, wish I would have taken some yesterday on its 1st real outing. Some come historic buildings downtown, would have made some nice pics.

Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 IMG_3743
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 IMG_3745
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:27 am

Let the interior fun begin. Yesterday I removed the seats, stereo and dog house. Talk about a tedious job. That dog has had so many nuts and bolts! I was smart and separated them into individual bags. The van had a 80s cassette stereo in it which it looks like someone cut a hole in the dash for it. Think Im going to weld a patch in its place.

Look for pics this weekend, Weird seeing a hollow shell. Starting to sand the floor down for a por 15 coating, get the dash sanded down also and new gauge holes in. While the dog house is out I can really get to the motor for cleaning and detailing to. New radiator will go in soon also.

Floor, Walls, dash, ceiling, Doghouse, radiator etc........

I will be busy of the next few weeks!
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:21 pm

Got a little cleaning done today and scraped off most of the dog house adhesive that was on the floor. The rust on the passenger side is mostly surface and after I good sanding it will be good. The dog house will need a little rust treatment and will be banged out and powder coated. Some pics of the interior I took today.

Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 IMG_3966
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 IMG_3968
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 IMG_3970

Dog House
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 IMG_3976

Motor pics
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 IMG_3967
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 IMG_3971
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 IMG_3974

The dirt,debri,rust I swept out. Most under the driver seat, battery etc
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 IMG_3975

These will be my now/before pics. Look for my progress pics soon. Got a lot of work ahead of me.

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:12 pm

This passed weekend I purchased a better condition 1965 200ci motor out of a falcon. Saved myself some money versus a rebuild of my current, especially once I sale my 200. Came with motor, carb and 3speed tranny.

Going to take off the newer shiny bits from my current motor (Alternator, Fuel pump, volt reg etc) and put them on this one. The rods in the (new motor) were recently replaced and it purrs like a kitten. Thinking while its out for shits and giggles i might as well replace the water pump and the upper motor seals for peace of mind. The carb on the new motor is also different from the one I currently have so I may or may not use it.

Anyhow i will be buying myself a engine stand so I can start detailing this baby! Wont be installed until I have the interior done, but gives me some more fun work Smile

Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 Motor003
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 Motor010

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Guys if you've read my other thread you know i have the motor on the engine stand. All is coming along nicely. I've removed the old freeze plugs to replace them with some nice new brass ones. The block still had water/coolant inside and it's a nice rusty color. I'd rather not put my new 3 core champion aluminum rad on with rusty old coolant.

What's the best way to flush the block? With it on the engine stand can I just flush it out with a water hose through the thermostat hole until it runs out clean?
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by white-lightning Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:32 pm

I would flush it out while you have it on the stand through the freeze plug holes and any other opening to get out as much of the old as possible.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:48 am

Gave the interior a brake to get this motor ready. Still need to buy a new shiny valve cover and give the exhaust a high heat coating before I put that back on, but im happy with the way it came out. the pics are in order from before to now.

Before
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 Motor003
    Parts off and quick ruff sand down
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 Motor006
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 Motor005
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 Motor001
    NOW, New parts, freeze plugs and new Ford Blue Paint!
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 Motor015-1
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 Motor013
    Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 Motor012

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:53 am

I've also been on a mini shopping spree. Got the new water pump, new therm housing you see on the motor now. New gaskets, Champion 3row rad, Rotors, loaded calipers, studs, bolts, brake hoses etc.

I now have everything I needed to complete my disc brake conversion. I bought D&Ds custom bracket and Dual Master Cylinder months ago. now I can actually put them on!

Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 6 Motor011

Post by Guest Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:18 am

Just checked out the whole thread, that sure is a nice van you got there. I'm looking forward to seeing it done, not as much as you though I'm sure!! Good luck.. JP
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:27 am

great progress.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Thanks Guys. I feel like i am moving at a snails pace, but shes getting there. Id love to be able to take her camping this spring, before the blazing heat really hits. Already getting pretty toasty here.

Austinmodhouse going to Austin's Beer fest this weekend. I will be there!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:22 am