VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+21
Spank
Casimier
white-lightning
Digz
Sy Hollinshead
Vantastic
Vanish
austinmodhouse
econopoor
sasktrini
SDEconoTruck
Barnabas
Army of Six
DanTheVanMan
wirepuller
lectricman
Twinpilot001
G-Man
Big W
EconoCarl
Rayallen
25 posters

Bought a 1964 Econoline today!

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 10 Empty Re: Bought a 1964 Econoline today!

Post by Rayallen Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Been a while since a update.

After a lot of tinkering trying to figure out the oil pressure issue, the only thing it can be now is the crankshaft bearings. Im pretty sure the guy i bought the motor from blew smoke up my ass about the head being rebuilt also.

If you go back a bit in my build you will see where i manged to brake of a peice of the block where the clutch pivot ball screws in. Answer to the problem, bought another 200ci motor today for $120! So now i have a good block.

my plan is to swap out the good and bad parts between the two 200 motors and take them to the machine shop. Im biting the bullet and doing a rebuild. Block and head will be going to the machine shop.

I will have peace of mind that i have a sound motor after this and finally get on to the suspension and body. tired of seeing my van on stands...
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Bought a 1964 Econoline today! - Page 10 Empty Re: Bought a 1964 Econoline today!

Post by Rayallen Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:55 pm

I'm wanting to drive my van so bad, it has been well over a year now.

the 200ci motor set me back, with the oil pressure issues.

Call it luck or what you will, but when doing a search on Craigslist for random parts I came across my old 170 motor I pulled out of my van and sold when I purchased the 200ci I have in the van now.. I knew it was my vans OG motor from the start. Red paint underneath blue on the valve cover and a bent tube where the air cleaner goes on was the dead give away.

I called the guy and he never got around to his project so I bought it back for less than I sold it to him!

Anyhow the plan is to pull the 200ci for a long lock or rebuild and install the 170 back. I don't have to be in a rush to rebuild the 200 now.

I've already power washed the motor and its getting a new coat of enamel. With all the new parts I bought for the 200ci motor i can put them on the 170 and should do fine for a while.

Hoping to pull the 200 out this weekend and put in the 170 back in. A least I know it has good oil pressure and with my new 3 row rad it should have no issues staying cool.

finally get to test out the $1000 disc brakes I installed soon. Hoping two weeks at the most and I can take it for a drive.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:58 pm

I feel your pain, hang in there
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Got my baby running again today, so good to here her purr. The OG motor put back in and Timing almost there. I was having a pissed off moment because I had 0 oil pressure on the 1st few starts. Dropped the oil pan to figure out what was going on. The damn hex rod that connects the Distributor and oil pump was missing! I sold this motor and bought it back, so apparently the guy must of needed one. Quick fix since I have a extra motor and my oil pressure shot to a steady 40psi.

Figured out my Solenoid & Starter issue. I replaced all the Battery Cables with thicker guage and also the Solenoid to starter cable and walla fixed that problem.

Now the issue is cooling, I'm getting pressure in my hoses and have the new 3row Champion rad, but it seems as if my Thermostat is sticking closed or something.. The motor is getting hot within 5-6 minutes of running. Going to switch out the stat to a 160° and see if that does anything. Might go ahead and swap out the temp sender and install a Mechanical Temp gauge while i am at it. Almost there, one problem at a time!
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Glad to see it moving along. The list gets shorter, one fix at a time. cheers 
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Started on the dog house home restoration. The front off it is pretty rusted on the lip that bolts to the dog house and the rear of the DH has some pretty bad dents. Luckily I found another member whos going to help me out and ship those sections to me. In the mean time I will continue to sand down the sides and get them primed and painted. Then on to the floor of this beast. As mentioned much earlier in my build thread I plan on sanding and coating the floor with either POR 15 or Rust Bullet.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Keep pluggin' along!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm