VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+11
dix
Twinpilot001
Dantra
pittsdriver
kiwimopar
blackace
67a 100 pickup
DanTheVanMan
slowflapper
Digz
G-Man
15 posters

New A100 pickup owner here. Hello!

New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! - Page 3 Empty Re: New A100 pickup owner here. Hello!

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:53 pm

Today is nothing but good news.
    Decided to look into the pesky non-operational speedometer. Turns out the shaft was just gummed up, a bit of carb cleaner and lube run through it took care of that little problem. Speedo works like a charm now.
    Finally got around to replacing all of the burnt out lamps in the instrument cluster so now everything works inside.
    Decided to look into the clutch slippage problem, found the linkage adjusted too tight. There wasnt any free play at all. Adjusted it properly, put a return spring on and voila, clutch works great. It will now roach the tires going around a corner if I feel like it. Pretty scary, but it will do it.
    While I was under there I decided to see what I could do about my slight sticking in first problem. Found several culprits.
    Both shift arms on the tranny were loose. The 1st/Rev bushing is pretty worn. I think I may just fill the bushing holes with weld and drill them to the size of the shift rod like the setup on my boss' '51 Ford Custom that I am working on. Basically do away with the bushings and just have metal to metal. With as many miles as I plan on putting on the thing I think I will get plenty of service life out of that setup.
    I also found the clutch release rod (the one that connects to the fork) worn heavily. Not sure what to do about that yet. I dont think it is the right one for the truck (looks modified heavily) so I may end up making something a lot more tight in tolerance here soon.
    All in all I am quite pleased with today's progress. The little A is running well, is pretty peppy and now I can tell how fast I am going.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 745
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! - Page 3 Empty Re: New A100 pickup owner here. Hello!

Post by kiwimopar Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:30 am

That's great news.....just goes to show what a little TLC and some maintenance can do to these old trucks. Very Happy
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:00 am

It is amazing how going through everything and cleaning, lubing and adjusting can make a big difference.
    Change out all external bulbs too, cleaning the sockets as you go.
    Also crawl around the whole thing and lubricate every moving part. I prefer PB Blaster to WD-40. This is for door latches, vent window pivots, all the underside bolts, screws and nuts and also the leaf springs. Use rubber lube on the spring bushings, trans mount and any other rubber parts, NOT pertroleum lube! Chrysler makes a White Lithium spray lube that is great for window cranks, door hinges and other linkages. Use chassis lube for the zerks.
    Clear silicone spray for window tracks.
    GM has a great electical contact cleaner that should be used on all bulb sockets, connectors and such. It's expensive but is the best. A step down but still better than nothing is the Radio Shack spray.
    Don't forget to clean the battery terminals and the contacts on the gauges and alt.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:13 pm

What I find really strange (about the tink noise, not everything else in life) is that ever since I got the valves adjusted correctly I have not heard it again. Strange Question scratch

I officially covered 20 miles since I got the speedo working last month. At this rate the thing will be worn out in a couple centuries for sure!

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Made a slight mod the other day. It had been sitting around the house forever with no home so I decided it fit with the truck quite well.

New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! - Page 3 Hulagirl
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:04 pm

Nice Hula Girl! Need to get myself one.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:52 pm

Pretty inspiring thread....
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:27 am

New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! - Page 3 00811
    you gota have a hula girl !

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:36 pm