VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+11
dix
Twinpilot001
Dantra
pittsdriver
kiwimopar
blackace
67a 100 pickup
DanTheVanMan
slowflapper
Digz
G-Man
15 posters

New A100 pickup owner here. Hello!

New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! Empty New A100 pickup owner here. Hello!

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm

I have always been fascinated with the Dodge A100 pickups ever since I saw the videos of Bill Mavericks "Little Red Wagon". I finally got a chance to pick one up and with a little work I hope to have it back on the road soon. Its a '64 (according to the VIN) and has the venerable slant 6 with 3 speed manual behind it. The front axle was torched off some time in its stay in the junkyard I picked it up from and the rear axle was raped, but other than that it is a pretty solid, complete rig. I nabbed up a few of the missing parts from a Van they had in the same yard and am going to go tomorrow to get the axles out from under it to complete my Pickup.
    From all my poking and prodding i have only found 4 rust spots, which arent big enough to worry about patching at the moment. My goal is to do a mechanical refresh and clean the thing up and drive it. Most of the paint is original and has a great patina to it. A few bumps and bruises that add to the character (I will bump out the huge ones some time).
    Future plans are a 440 with auto, but that is waaaaaaay down the road (I have a '59 Power Wagon that I am doing a frame up resto-mod on right now).
    A few pics (cell phone pics, sorry for the crappy quality)
    New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! IMAG0047-1
    New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! IMAG0048-1
    New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! IMAG0049

Ben
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! Empty Re: New A100 pickup owner here. Hello!

Post by G-Man Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Welcome to the site!!!!!

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Forgot to mention, pulled it out of the junkyard with no knowledge of anything other than what I could see with it sitting on the ground.
    Turns out the motor only needed a distributor to get running again. I didnt even have to tear into the carb! Cranked it with no spark to get oil pressure built up, dropped the fuel inlet into a gas can in the cab (fuel tank is out right now) and after 30 seconds or so of cranking she fired up. A quick twist of the distributor had it purring like a kitten. Aside from a little bit of valve tap there wasnt a noise to be heard from it. Guess I lucked out on that one!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:36 pm

Wow ,, nice score ! Like to see some of the 59 also ?

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:44 pm

Here's the '59 as I got it, ready to be towed to the DMV for a VIN inspection:
    New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! Tow2

Here it sits with the cab fitted up to the '97 Ram 2500 donor frame:
    New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! Fit1
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:52 pm

My bro just got his 59 on the road this year. Stock as he could make it.
    New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! 3-9-1110
    Very hard to find parts for,, ya dont have a good steering box do ya?
    Both look like fun projects !

Post by Guest Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:14 pm

I have the steering box. It is fairly tight, with minimal slop, but the splines on the steering wheel end of the steering shaft are pretty buggered up. If the shaft in his is good maybe he would want to put it into this box? It would be aweful large to ship with the shaft still attached, but I can try to get you a shipping quote on it if you like. I was thinking it should be worth about $50 or so?
    email me at dartfreak68ATyahooDOTcom if you are interested.

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:39 pm

Got it into roller form today Very Happy

New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! A1001

New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! A1002

New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! A1003

Post by Guest Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Great progress report today. It runs, drives AND stops!
    Now I just need to finish working out a few electrical problems, finish mucking it out and get it put back together and she is ready for the road!
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:57 pm

nice pickup Smile
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Welcome MoparFreak69!
    Just take it one step at a time and it will slowly come together.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:56 pm

Well, I have lights, mostly.
    I am still trying to get the front park lights to work all the time and dash lights dont want to work yet, but everything else seems to be functioning correctly. I had to replace the contacts in the tail lights as they were corroded and the spring plates were brittle and breaking, but other than that it was just a matter of cleaning connections up a bit and putting good bulbs into everything.
    Anybody know of a good source for /6 motor mounts?
    How close to bolt-in will B-series van buckets be?
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:02 pm

auto zone has them 2235 for the left 2234 for the right

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:53 pm

On order. Thanks for the info!

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:28 pm

A buddy of mine has a pair of used 295 50r15's that he is willing to barter to me for some work. Looks like they are going to fit in the rear wheel wells quite nicely, and its going to look great when I lower it a couple of inches. Here are a couple pics with one of the tires just sitting about where I want it to fit and the ride height close to where my goal is.

New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! Fattire1
    New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! Fattire2
    Now just to find some steelie 15x7 or 15x8 that will retain my stock center caps to mount the tires to Very Happy

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:30 pm

I also decided to hit the paint with some scotch brite (to remove white haze and rust stains) and an orbital polisher.
    I think it looks terrific!
    New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! Polished1
    New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! Polished2
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:13 pm

Those 295/50's really like 10" rims, ya might wanna think more in the 265/275 range if you stick with 8's ?

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Digz wrote:Those 295/50's really like 10" rims, ya might wanna think more in the 265/275 range if you stick with 8's ?

The car they came off of had 8" rims and that is where they sit relaxed now so I think 8 inchers will fill my bill. These specific tires are made for recommended rim widths between 7.5" and 9.5". I think 10" rims would square them out too much. If I cant find any used rims though I will probably go with Coker's 15x9's because they are $4 each more than 8's. Biggest thing I have to watch for is either 0 offset or get some wheels with negative offset so I can use spacers (not as desireable but it will get me there).

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Well, a little more progress/changes occured yesterday and today.
    I got the grill mostly fitted to the nose. It was tweaked horribly and the plastic nut-serts that clip into the body were toast, not to mention all the damage from an accident and bondo that got in the way. I ended up welding nuts to what was left of the lower holes so that I could get mounting hardware to cooperate with me.
    I also decided that it was sitting too high. I removed 2 of the 7 leaves from the front spring packs. Its not as low as I want it but I will have to go with a dropped axle/spindles to get it the rest of the way there (unless I want to notch the frame a bit).
    New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! Grill01
    New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! Grill02
    She's coming along nicely.

Today I got the fuel tank fully plumbed in and got the sender fixed up (still isnt reading right but whatya gonna do?) Also replaced the motor mounts (or what was left of them anyway). Since my rig has a later model motor I ended up using 2 of the driver's side mounts instead of the normal passenger side mount that is offset slightly. Dont know how it worked out that way but it sits straight and true how it is now so I'm gonna roll with it as-is.
    Swept all the garbage out of the bed/cab floors to see what I am dealing with back there. NO RUST! so that is always a good thing. Just some typical surface rust which I am not in the least concerned with.

Getting close to time to head to the DMV and get this sucker road legal.
    blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by blackace Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:45 am

Sure makes you wonder why it was put onto a scrap yard if it was not that bad of shape. You got one great find there. Keep the pics and story comming. cheers
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 744
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:44 pm

Cool pickup and a great save MoparFreak cheers cheers

Post by Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:57 pm

I fashioned up a throttle bracket today. It doesnt work too well with the 2 barrel carb though. The pin for the throttle cable is almost straight above the pivot of the throttle shaft, which means that getting the cable to pull it past that slight angle is a pain. It does nothing at all then WHAM snaps open and throttle feel is normal. Its just the initial trip that I have to work out of it. I may end up just taking the carb off and modifying the plate slightly to tweak it away from its stock position slightly, making it a better angle for my throttle cable.
    This is all just temporary until I can find the funds/time to put a 273/904 into it.

Last edited by MoparFreak69 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    pittsdriver
    pittsdriver

Number of posts : 335
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

Post by pittsdriver Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:17 pm

When you are ready for a V8 I have a good 69 donor van with a good running 318/3speed in it. And I'm in Twin Falls. Don
    Dantra
    Dantra

Number of posts : 293
    Registration date : 2009-08-31

Post by Dantra Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Bought my steelies from Early Wheel Company... Built to my specs, in a timely manner, for a fair price.

I still have some odd and end parts on the parts truck, let me know if there are any parts that you can't find

New A100 pickup owner here. Hello! IMGP1186
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:00 pm

doin great guys - for the fuel tank gague not reading goog=?? chech for a good groung wire from sender to body??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:31 pm