VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Tune Up Specifications for stock I230...

ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Tune Up Specifications for stock I230... Empty Tune Up Specifications for stock I230...

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:26 pm

I have a stock 230 in my early with points and plugs. Am searching thru this site with the usual keywords and can't find tune-up specs. Also my Chevy Van Shop Manual offers no number either. Odd really. And, most of my repair books only have HEI and abover specs. Can anybody post the standard specs for tune up?

Much obliged if you'd send, Dwell, Pt. Gap, Spark Gap, Timing Advance, Aux. Air Gap and standard turns for idle and mixture.

Much obliged, Mark
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Tune Up Specifications for stock I230... Empty Re: Tune Up Specifications for stock I230...

Post by donivan65 Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:33 pm

Tune Up Specifications for stock I230... Tune_u10
    ChevyVanMan1

Tune Up Specifications for stock I230... Empty Re: Tune Up Specifications for stock I230...

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:37 am

You made my day. Thanks. I have a beater shop manual, I think the prior owner tore out most of the really important pages. Might have a newer one coming soon via FleaBay.

Thanks again, I really really appreciate the the help!!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:07 am

As for the advances,,,,,,,centrifugal is about 14 degrees,,,,,Vacuum, 10,,,,,,and the mixture screw,,,,,set the RPM,,,,like 700,,,,,,turn the mixture screw in until you lose RPM's,,,,,then start turning the mixture screw out until you get the Highest RPM's,,,,IF,,,,,the RPM's are now over 700, adjust the idle speed back down to 700 and start all over again by turning the mixture screw in,,,,,,you match the mixture to the RPM,,,,,The mixture is set right when you get to the point where if you turn that mixture screw in, the RPM's drop or if you turn the mixture out, the RPM's drop,,,,,you need to be right in the middle,,,,,,
    ChevyVanMan1

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:11 am

That's great. I really appreciate the help. Tho I'm an old piston head, I haven't done much with old school dizzy's in a long time. My old VW, fuel injected used two sets of points--what a PITA. Thanks for setting me straight.

Thanks again, Mark

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:26 pm