VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

New Engine camshafts & oils

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

New Engine camshafts & oils Empty New Engine camshafts & oils

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:39 am

Hello to all. - I just came by some oil knowledge from my buddy @ NAPA-hes the manager there& an alcohol drag racer-no the car -not a bottle to throttle guy!! Anyways- as ive built a new 383 chev stroker motor for my gen-2 sportvan- ive always used the GM's camshaft braekin lube(EOS) stuff. went to GM to get some & they havent made that in a long time. I asked my buddy -he tells me there are only 2 oils made today that have the "Zinc" in them. There fore-when running an engine with the "OLD STYLE" flat tappet solid/hydraulic lifter types=(non- roller lifters ) you must add the engine oil suppliments to the majority of all oils sold today-if you dont-you will ruin the cams & lifters - due to lack of the Zinc in the oils. Everything today is the New- "Roller cam/lifter" type engines that dont need the stuff in the oils. Maybe everyone knows this?? I didnt!! so I guess if we are building the new motors we should consider the new Roller cams (expensive) type stuff?? I just didnt want to have a cam & lifters go bad early on in my new van motor. I was surprised!!
    63chevyvan?

Number of posts : 125
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

New Engine camshafts & oils Empty Re: New Engine camshafts & oils

Post by 63chevyvan? Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:55 am

If you installed high rate valve springs you should be concerned. I run Chevron Delo 30w (non low emissions-more ZDP) in all my early stuff except the 96 Camaro which gets the Delo 10/40w(low emissions-less ZDP). I also use the Lucas oil additive in the earlies every oil change.
    Chevron Delo and Shell Rottella are primarily used in Diesel engines, but are rated for gasoline engines too. These oils work well and are less expensive than synthetics.

benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:17 pm

Gotta love all the goverment mandates and tree huggers! Ive been using deisel oil 15/40? Lately. Been more concerned more with the ethanol levels in the fuel. Creating green slime in carburators in the weed wacker chainsaw mower and trucks I dont drive as often. Been adding Soltron to fix. I also add mysteryoil to the gas. Keeps the top end clean.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:16 pm

Hey Thans Guys- all great info- ive added the lucas additive in the new motor & im told the valvoline racing oils have the zinc good stuff. Ive got an old vette with an early LS6 motor & was concerned about that -has a solid lifter
    factory cam in it, so was also concerned .. We cant save the world -yet the beurocrats think we can.Thanx again .

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:18 pm

So curious - can we change in our gen-2 vans from a short v-8 water pump setup to a long wayer pump & pulleys without worrying about the fan / shroud spacing?? of course changing pulleys also?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:49 pm